Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 08:22 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2006 Eclipse

Here's a pshopped pic of one with wheels and lowered with an optional stock body kit. Not crazy about the choice of wheels this guy chose but I'm beginning to really like this car. As I hear more and more negative things about the G35, I'm having doubt about getting one. This car could be one to consider. It comes with 260 hp which is enough for me. Comes with Rockford Fosgate system which is also pretty cool. I don't know. Negatives are that Eclpse cars are usually driven by kids and they have some afiliation with Chrysler...which I would have a hard time trusting. What do you all think?
Old 07-31-05, 08:49 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol thats one of the worst photoshops ever, but I could see how one of those Eclipses could look good, especially in black
Old 07-31-05, 08:56 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the lines on the new eclipse. I think if modded right it could look nice. Any pics of the interior and how is the quality/ reliability?
Old 07-31-05, 09:40 AM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like something a kid would drive.
Old 07-31-05, 10:36 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 301 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LT. LEX

Looks like something a kid would drive.

Thats what it is I'd look for some spoiled teenage girls to be driving around in this (pardon my stereotype, its the truth around these parts). Maybe even a few guys who see it as a car with a good amount of power and pep and don't mind the styling. I'm not a big fan of the styling, but in black with that kit could look OK. I still think it's destined to be like the previous Eclipse, for young female drivers.
Old 07-31-05, 11:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i am in love with the 1st and 2nd (89-99) eclipse because they were ACTUAL PERFORMANCE CARS! as soon as mitsu went and fluffed them up they lost alll appeal. 260hp sounds nice, but its ALL FWD!! FWD is EVIL. u put more than ~220hp into a FWD and try to go around a bend u get understeer for miles then crash into a tree. "oversteer is better since u dont see the tree that kills you" ok, bye now, im still half asleep and will prolly edit this post later to make it readable.

-Annant
Old 07-31-05, 11:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Horrible PS LOL !!
Old 07-31-05, 12:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Any pics of the interior and how is the quality/ reliability?
Here's your interior:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/eclips...ery.html?g=int

I do not recommend this car, quality-wise. I have inspected and driven a number of both new and used ones and have not been impressed with them. Eclipses in general have a poor quality and reliability record, partially do to a number of different problems at the Diamond Star plant in Normal, IL where they are built, but also the fact that many of them were driven very hard by their owners....especially the second-generation 4-cylinder Turbo models. Many Mitsubishi engines also tend to start having upper-block problems like head gaskets, valves, etc....after 70,000-80,000 miles no matter how they are driven.
Old 07-31-05, 01:06 PM
mikevogel
Pole Position

i would probly buy one if it was the concept version with the gas engine in the front driving the front wheels and the electric engine in the back driving the back wheels it had like 400 hp
Old 07-31-05, 01:15 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Mitsubishi's partnership with Chrysler ended over a year ago, if I'm not mistaken.

M.
Old 07-31-05, 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whipimpin
Mitsubishi's partnership with Chrysler ended over a year ago, if I'm not mistaken.

M.
Yes and no. Chrysler's direct financial support ended, but they still share the Diamond-star assembly plant in Normal, IL...the one I referred to above in my last post. The Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Cirrus share a common platform with some Mitsubishi products, and are built on the same assembly line there. The upcoming Mitsubishi Raider truck is also based on a Dodge truck platform.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2006...dersneak1.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-05 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 02:51 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. Chrysler's direct financial support ended, but they still share the Diamond-star assembly plant in Normal, IL.
Ah, I didn't know that.

I've never been impressed with either the Chrysler Cirrus/Dodge Stratus or Mitsubishi's Eclipse.

Would you say it's a problem at the plant that keeps the quality of these vehicles low or the engineering?

M.
Old 07-31-05, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whipimpin
Ah, I didn't know that.

I've never been impressed with either the Chrysler Cirrus/Dodge Stratus or Mitsubishi's Eclipse.

Would you say it's a problem at the plant that keeps the quality of these vehicles low or the engineering?

M.
The tendency of the engines to deteriorate at high mileage ( with proper oil changes and maintenance) IMO is an engineering problem.

Many of the other problems with the vehicles produced at the Diamond-Star plant, IMO opinion, can be traced simply to poor management there and the poor quality of the manufacturing process there. For instance, in 1995, when the notoriously poorly-built second-generation Eclipse ( and Eagle Talon ) was introduced, I can remember seeing burrs and defects in the paint which obviously came from not keeping dirt and airborne particles out of the paint rooms; squeaks and rattles, leaks, body parts that did not fit, etc..... Much of the hardware would work loose after a few years, like switches, handles, etc...
And, on a social and human note, there have been a number of personnel-related problems at that plant....things like drunkenness, drug use, a sexual-harassment suit that Mitsubishi paid a large sum to settle, and a racial suit that I don't remember the outcome of.
It would be fair to note, however, that the plant has shown some improvement lately, and 3rd-generation Eclipse, which dropped the Turbo 4 and AWD, was somewhat of an improvement, quality-wise, over the defect-ridden second-generation model even though it alienated a lot of the hard-core Turbo and AWD fans.....who naturally gravitated to the Evo. I still think, though, that the Eclipse even today is a somewhat risky purchase and do not recommend it for those who place reliability as an important factor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-05 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 05:51 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

damn mmarshall's on top of everything!
Old 07-31-05, 05:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by C-Train
damn mmarshall's on top of everything!

Quick Reply: 2006 Eclipse