Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TL=Not for women only (hey, its not me, its an article)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 06:03 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down Acura TL=Not for women only (hey, its not me, its an article)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business....16b45c0d.html

G. Chambers Williams III: Not for women only

Web Posted: 07/29/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

When I get a vehicle to test that is so obviously aimed at women and families, I turn to the women in my family for their opinions.

(G. Chambers Williams III/Express-News)

The new TL is one of the best Acuras yet and one of the best premium sport sedans on the market.
The 2005 Acura TL
The package: Midsize, front-drive, five-passenger, V-6 powered premium sedan.
Highlights: This car was all new last year, based on the chassis of the redesigned Honda Accord, featuring an awesome DVD audio entertainment system, more power than even in the previous-generation's S-type performance model, and lots of other improvements. The coupe model has been discontinued.
Negatives: Styling is rather bland; small trunk for this class of vehicle.
Engine: 3.2 liters.
Transmissions: Five-speed automatic, six-speed manual (no price difference).
Power/torque: 270 hp./238 foot-pounds.
Brakes, front/rear: Disc/disc, antilock.
Length: 189.3 inches.
Curb weight: 3,582 pounds (automatic transmission with navigation system).
Trunk capacity: 12.5 cubic feet (12.3 with navigation system).
EPA fuel economy: 20 miles per gallon city/28 highway (automatic); 20 city/30 highway (manual).
Major competitors: Audi A4, Mercedes-Benz C320, Volvo S60, Infiniti G35, Lexus ES 330, Cadillac CTS, Volkswagen Passat, Nissan Maxima, BMW 330i, Jaguar X-type, Saab 9-3.
Base price: $33,100 plus $570 freight.
Price as tested: $35,670 including navigation system ($2,000) and freight.
On the Road rating: -1/2 (four-and-a-half stars out of five).
Prices shown are manufacturer's suggested retail; actual selling price may vary according to manufacturer and/or dealer rebates, discounts and incentives, if any.

(G. Chambers Williams III/Express-News)

The new Acura TL features increased head and shoulder room.

And with the new Acura TL, the verdict from three women in my household, a wife and two daughters, was an astounding "Wow! That's a really nice car."

Now, before you Acura fans jump all over me for saying the TL is aimed at women, remember that I said "and families" as well. It's a great family car, and for that reason, a lot of men can be expected to buy it, too.

But as with most of the entry-luxury models such as the TL, Lexus ES 330 and Mercedes-Benz C-class, the majority are purchased either by or for women, and the automakers design the vehicles to appease that market.

I'm not suggesting that the TL is a "chick" car, though. It's clearly a fun-to-drive, well-equipped sport sedan that even the manliest of men would enjoy. But the economics of car-buying seem to dictate that more women buy the lower-priced premium models, while their husbands or significant others go for the more-expensive models.

Of course, this is always a subject for debate. At a recent car event I attended, the head of one of the top automakers, discussing family car-buying dynamics, said that it's often tough to figure out who really is making the decision on which vehicle to choose.

"In my house," he said, "I wear the pants. But my wife picks them out."

Personally, I wouldn't mind being "stuck" with the TL. While this is a car that does everything it can to please the women who will drive it, it also fulfills very well the needs of any man who ends up with it. This is one briar patch I wouldn't mind being thrown into, but I have a feeling that if I bought one of these, I would have a hard time getting it away from my wife or even my daughters.

I already have an older TL in my household, and yes, it's driven daily by a woman, one of my daughters. And while she found the 2005 TL to be a considerable improvement over her car, thank goodness it didn't spoil her so much that she's no longer happy with her TL.

By anyone's standards, the new TL, introduced last year as a 2004 model, is one of the best Acuras yet, along with being one of the best premium sport sedans on the market. And that's even before you turn on the audio system, which sounds better than the one in my living room.

The midsize TL, Acura's most popular model, is the nation's best-selling entry-level luxury sedan. It's based on the newest generation of the Honda Accord, which debuted a year earlier.

This newest TL comes with just one engine offering, instead of the previous-generation's two, but it has more power and at least slightly more-exciting styling. And even though the engine still is a 3.2-liter V-6, Acura has dropped the "3.2" portion of the name from the previous generation, so the car is now called simply the "TL."

Prices begin at $33,670 (including freight), pitting the new TL directly against other premium sedans such as the Infiniti G35, Lexus ES 330, Mercedes C-class and BMW 3-series.

To make sure no one ever accuses the TL of being a chick car, a six-speed manual gearbox is offered at the same price. Now, I understand that there are women who enjoy performance driving and who would also choose the manual, but it really is aimed at men, who buy straight-shift cars in much greater numbers than women.

Also to help prove its manliness, the TL now has class-leading 270 horsepower thanks to the revised 3.2-liter V-6 engine from the previous-generation's 3.2TL S-model.

That's 10 hp more than the 3.5-liter V-6 in the G35, the previous class leader. You'll find that similarly equipped C-class and 3-series sedans don't even come close to that power, and neither does the 3.3-liter V-6 in the Lexus ES.

Because Honda wanted to position the TL as performance sedan, in large part to counter the performance images of the G35 and 3-series, the company chose to offer just one version of the new TL.

The primary goal in this vehicle's redesign was to increase the excitement factor, which would involve both increased performance and sportier styling.

The performance certainly is there, but the styling still is pretty much cookie-cutter Japanese premium sedan, similar to that of Accord. It's not boring, but not overly inspiring, either. The G35 has the clear edge in that department.

True performance enthusiasts probably won't like the TL's front-wheel-drive configuration, a carryover from the previous generation.

Honda has no rear-drive platform in its stable except for the little S2000 sports car. The G35 and 3-series have the edge here; they both have rear-wheel drive (and all-wheel drive is available on the G35).

It really wasn't the G35 that Acura aimed for with the new TL anyway. The company chose the BMW 530i as its role model for the performance element, not the similarly priced 3-series (the previous-generation 530i; a new generation arrived last year about the same time as the new TL).

Our test car came with the five-speed automatic transmission, however. This is the one that most TL buyers will choose. Generally fewer than 5 percent of buyers would pick a manual gearbox on a car in this class.

Among other performance features, the new TL has Brembo brake calipers on the front wheels.

The TL comes well equipped, with a very short list of available options — just the navigation system and high-performance tires for the manual-transmission model. The navigation system, which costs $2,000, was included on our test vehicle.

Among the standard equipment is the Panasonic ELS DVD-audio system with Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound. Panasonic teamed with multiple-Emmy-award-winning recording engineer Elliot Scheiner to create this audio system for Acura.

Scheiner created DVD discs that produce six-channel, concert-quality audio through home-theater DVD surround-sound systems or the ELS audio system that comes in the TL.

The discs play through eight speakers, giving the listener the feeling that he is standing in the middle of the stage during a live musical performance.

The system includes a six-disc DVD changer in the dash, XM satellite radio, and a five-mode steering-wheel control switch. It cranks out 225 watts of power, and also can play regular music CDs (although not creating the enhanced sound that comes from an audio DVD).

Other standard TL features include leather and wood interior trim, dual-zone/dual-mode automatic climate control, side-curtain air bags, 17-inch light-alloy wheels, one-touch open/close power windows and moon roof, power door locks with remote, electronic stability control, high-intensity-discharge headlights, drive-by-wire throttle control, and a limited-slip differential.

The car has increased head- and shoulder room over the previous model. I found the back seat to have adequate room for two adults, but crowded for three.

The trunk is small for this class, just 12.5 cubic feet (or 12.3 with the navigation system). The TL's biggest competitors, the ES 330 and G35, have 14.5 cubic feet of cargo space.

A wireless hands-free cellular phone link is included, and it works with any Bluetooth-enabled cell phone.

EPA fuel-economy ratings are 20 miles per gallon in the city and 28 on the highway with the automatic transmission.

Total sticker for our car was $35,670, including freight and navigation.

Old 07-31-05, 06:05 PM
LexFather

The reviwerer lost his cred when he said negatives was bland styling. Its not bland to me. Wow "chick car'. I am surprised in this new era where we can't say anything, this guy hasn't been raped on CNN yet.....

Old 07-31-05, 06:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chick car?

I mostly see men driving it.
Old 07-31-05, 06:56 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

I see these things 20 times a day without exageration. Living in Bethesda, MD, I mostly see older women driving it. Recently a good friend of mine was shopping for a new car. He narrowed his options down to a 2003 BMW330i, Volvo S60R, and the Acura TL. He has a dominating wife, and two small sons. He purchased the TL. But he bought it with a MT and body kit. He is very satisfied with the car. The BMW was too small and too common. He already has a Volvo S80 and is not very content with the reliability although he said the S60R is the most fun he ever had test driving an automobile. I rode with him in his new TL and I like it. Everything you want out a $35K car and it's not bad looking. Only draw back is that it's all over the place.
Old 07-31-05, 07:04 PM
Canyonero
Driver

The new TL looks pretty hot. My neighbor just got one in black. If only it came in RWD...it'd be perfect.
Old 07-31-05, 07:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

It 'd be good if the TL gets the SH-AWD of the RL too . . .
Old 07-31-05, 08:19 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmethySC
It 'd be good if the TL gets the SH-AWD of the RL too . . .
it would definitely help it in my eyes.

is it just me or is anyone else kinda creeped out by amethy's new avatar?
Old 08-01-05, 03:46 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I guess the San Antonio Express News isn't exactly looking to burst into the mainstream with their professional auto reviews. This seems more like something that would be written for a high school rag than an actual published periodical. Lots of unsubstantiated statements and questionably-drawn conclusions.

His biggest factual error, however, is in forgetting the NSX as a RWD Honda platform.
Old 08-01-05, 04:53 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a ton of these around too. I think I see more of these that the 3 series. BTW, it's mostly chicks behind the wheel. My buddy has one that he's in the process of modding so hopefully I'll see a "manly" one soon.
Old 08-01-05, 04:54 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyonero
The new TL looks pretty hot. My neighbor just got one in black. If only it came in RWD...it'd be perfect.
Yeah, that's a big negative for a "performance" sedan in my book.
Old 08-01-05, 06:13 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Bland styling? This guy truly did loose his credibility. Bias aside, of the "mainstream" (ie. not exotic) cars on the road, I have to say the TL is one of the most eye catching around.

There is nothing "womanly" about the J32 engine of the TL. To bad many of the TL drivers I see around dont test out how "manly" the power is.
Old 08-01-05, 06:37 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I think the TL is a great looking car. Black and freshly waxed =
Old 08-01-05, 07:42 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

I see more females drive G400/430 than men around here. Does it mean it's a feminine car? Not likely, what it means is male/female roles have reversed in america. Men have become more women like and women more men like. Daddy favoring his little girl over the son is the prefer trend in american society, so the girls are taught and encouraged to be more assertive and independent while the boy is left to fend for himself. The result is Women today are more masculine, independent, hold lots of prestiges and important titles that makes alot more money than they use to and true to their nature, they enjoy all the finer things in life as much as males do.

So from here on, when people say chick car, that means it's a kickazz car. When women today look for cars, they use the same approach they do when looking for a male partner. They want something strong, somewhat masculine and great looking, yet obedient and reliable. TL happens to fit that perfectly. It's the hero car that every other car wants to be. RWD to women is like flirting with the badboy, it's fun for a while but too dangerous and unpredictable, so it's not a keeper.
Old 08-02-05, 09:54 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
So from here on, when people say chick car, that means it's a kickazz car. When women today look for cars, they use the same approach they do when looking for a male partner. They want something strong, somewhat masculine and great looking, yet obedient and reliable. TL happens to fit that perfectly. It's the hero car that every other car wants to be. RWD to women is like flirting with the badboy, it's fun for a while but too dangerous and unpredictable, so it's not a keeper.

Hmm you strike a very good point because I for one like the TL for many of the reasons you listed there.
Old 08-02-05, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I occasionally read Chambers Williams III' comments in the Washington Times Autoweekly....along with those of a number of other auto writers. I agree he is not one of the better auto journalists around....we have people here at CL who are not even paid journalists who can do a better job writing about cars.

Quick Reply: Acura TL=Not for women only (hey, its not me, its an article)