Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Turbo Honda Accord to be shows at Tokyo Auto show?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 06:31 PM
LexFather

Default Turbo Honda Accord to be shows at Tokyo Auto show?

I think this means our Acura TSX. There has been a rumor of Honda adding turbos to cars......The TSX and Acura RD-X thing maybe the first to have them

Old 07-31-05, 06:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny how the younger generation (my generation) seems to hype Honda so much, and to always talk about how "sporty" and performance oriented Hondas are compared to Nissans. Most people simply percieve this because of the firm ride, high revving loud engine, and pronouced gear changes.

In reality, out of the Japanese "Big 3", Honda STILL is the the only maker to not have offered factory stock turbo cars, as well as the only one that does not yet have a V8 engine.

Both Toyota and Nissan have offered numerous factory stock turbo cars as well as V8 engines. So in reality, is Honda REALLY that performance oriented and sporty?

Perception is a huge influence for people ... reality runs on perceptions, and people simply perceive Honda in such a manner, even though objective reality differes .
Old 07-31-05, 07:18 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

link?

stupid ten character limit
Old 07-31-05, 08:24 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my own opinion, my "perfect" car would have three things: a minimum of 6 gears shifted manually (none of this sport-tronic stuff), be rear or awd, and finally sport a turbo or SC. if honda really does equip cars with turbos, and offers them on rear or sh-awd platforms, i'd really give them a serious look when buying a car instead of just "considering" them.
Old 07-31-05, 10:49 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's funny how the younger generation (my generation) seems to hype Honda so much, and to always talk about how "sporty" and performance oriented Hondas are compared to Nissans. Most people simply percieve this because of the firm ride, high revving loud engine, and pronouced gear changes.

In reality, out of the Japanese "Big 3", Honda STILL is the the only maker to not have offered factory stock turbo cars, as well as the only one that does not yet have a V8 engine.

Both Toyota and Nissan have offered numerous factory stock turbo cars as well as V8 engines. So in reality, is Honda REALLY that performance oriented and sporty?

Perception is a huge influence for people ... reality runs on perceptions, and people simply perceive Honda in such a manner, even though objective reality differes .
You're right, perception is a big thing. Toyota(with exception of discontinued Celica GT-S/MR2 spyder) has practially no performance oriented vehicle in all three of it's line up eventho it uses V8s in it's models. Nissan's performance oriented vehicles are all V6 models(M45 is fast, but not performance oriented, it's till too soft and luxury first). Yet becuase they both offer V8s currently and turbos in the past, they are perceived as performance oriented. Honda on the other hand makes economy cars and sedans ride and handle like sportscars(firm ride, high revving loud engine, and pronouced gear changes). So to many people, Honda is not perceive as "performance oriented".
Old 08-01-05, 12:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't keep up recently, but in thep ast Honda always had Turbo production cars. I think it was mostly deisel and 4 cylinder cars in Japan, but they also had a 6 cylinder Turvo V6 in the Legend. None of these cars ever made it to the US though.

As for Honda being the sporty ones they can be as pesonally I rather have an N/A engine producing the same HP as a turbo if given the choice. I know turbos and other FI cars are easier to make "More" HP, but I like the feel and power deliver of NA cars. I'd take the 500 HP N/A car over the 600 HP turbo car anyday.
Old 08-01-05, 10:59 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perception is reality. Who are the big 3 in japan, toyota, nissan, and ________.