Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Lucerne?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Those fools need to read this,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172498
the Q45 is a design disaster, not something you want to follow.

Old 08-02-05, 11:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

Heh ... I was just about to post that myself ... it really does look like a Q45 from the front ... but I think it looks pretty ugly from the rear ... the Q45 rear looks better in my opinion.

It's a Buick, so you can't expect a whole lot of styling. Build quality and reliability will probably be good, but I don't know about putting the Northstar V8 into a FWD platform ... seems like a bad idea.

The funny thing is that domestic fans and GM execs have said they are positioning the Lucerne to go against the Avalon and the Lexus ES. I think that the Avalon beats this car, and the next ES will surely beat this ... I mean heck, just on interior, the current ES is better.

I think the Lucerne will have some tough competition from the new Camry , even though Camry is in a different class.
Old 08-02-05, 02:17 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Admittedly Buicks aren't going to excite the folks who frequent ClubLexus, G35Driver, Acurazine etc.. However, over the last few years, Buick has been making some very quiet, very reliable, very comfortable cars for a good price. Hope they're still around when I actually want one.
Old 08-02-05, 02:42 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by flipside909
Poorman's STS?
Nah, a smart man's Cadillac!
Old 08-02-05, 02:47 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so the La Crosse looks like the GS, the Lucerne looks like the Q... what's next for GM's "trendsetting" design teams?
Old 08-02-05, 04:41 PM
mikevogel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
^

Heh ... I was just about to post that myself ... it really does look like a Q45 from the front ... but I think it looks pretty ugly from the rear ... the Q45 rear looks better in my opinion.

It's a Buick, so you can't expect a whole lot of styling. Build quality and reliability will probably be good, but I don't know about putting the Northstar V8 into a FWD platform ... seems like a bad idea.

The funny thing is that domestic fans and GM execs have said they are positioning the Lucerne to go against the Avalon and the Lexus ES. I think that the Avalon beats this car, and the next ES will surely beat this ... I mean heck, just on interior, the current ES is better.

I think the Lucerne will have some tough competition from the new Camry , even though Camry is in a different class.
i dont see a problem with the northstar fwd although i would rather have rwd they are pretty reliable alough some sts have had a problem with broken motor mounts. 300 hp isnt exactly your grandmas car
Old 08-02-05, 09:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikevogel
i dont see a problem with the northstar fwd although i would rather have rwd they are pretty reliable alough some sts have had a problem with broken motor mounts. 300 hp isnt exactly your grandmas car
It all depends ... I hear the Maxima suffers from torque steer, while it's almost non existent on the Avalon, which boasts more power. The Pontiac GXP also suffers from great torque steer. The Northstar in the Lucerne is said to make about 275HP, but probably over 300 lb-ft of torque, which I think will result in quite noticeable torque steer .

Plus I don't know if it will be as fast as say an Avalon ... remember power isn't everything, drivetrain efficiency as a whole matters.
Old 08-03-05, 05:55 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Leets
Ok, so the La Crosse looks like the GS, the Lucerne looks like the Q... what's next for GM's "trendsetting" design teams?
What? The LaCrosse looks like the GS? Looks nothing like it!