Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

why do import motors sound so good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 10:06 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshoowa
theres this g35 at my school he has i think tanabe exhaust they look like tanabes....anyways aftermarket exhaust on g35 sounds like crap IMO. you loose that nice hum and get a really loud fart can sound like the ones on the hondas.
yup... welcome to the world of V6s
Old 08-03-05, 10:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

theres this g35 at my school he has i think tanabe exhaust they look like tanabes....anyways aftermarket exhaust on g35 sounds like crap IMO. you loose that nice hum and get a really loud fart can sound like the ones on the hondas.
Hate to say it but I agree. The stock exhaust tone sounds better than any aftermarket setup for the 350z/G35 dual exhaust setup.
Old 08-03-05, 10:24 AM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree too. Stock sounds best on that motor. I belive I heard a borla system on a Z that sounded good. It had the stock tone just droped down one octave. Uncorked they sound like all other crap.

The only other sub 8 cylinder motors I like are the flat engines in Porsche and Subrau. I absloutely love that sound. Some of the I6 BMW engines sound great too. I have heard some that I wasn't impressed with.

Some of the most offensive sounding exhausts are the 4 and 6 cylinder trucks and imports that run the loud exhaust. Just nasty sounding.

For V8's, pretty much any V8 can sound good. I will agree that the SL55 sounds amazing though.

For the V-10's and V-12's some sound better than others. For example this Ferrari V-12 race car I recorded at Pebble Beach sounds amazing to me. I also really like the Dodge SRT-10 Ram on this page. Some of the Viper clips on that page don't sounds quite as good though.
Old 08-03-05, 10:37 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to agree- the Nissan VQ series engines have a distinctive "moan" about them at about 2000-4000 rpm that I don't care for, with a stock exhaust or other. I considered the G35 Coupe before buying my GS, but I ultimately could not get past the exhaust note (and the lack of rear headroom).

The American V6s generally sound like crap, too. My dad describes them as "agricultural sounding." They have a rough, unrefined sound and many have that slight exhaust 'baffle rattle' like a '91 Chevy Lumina.

My neighbor has a Camaro SS (late model) with headers and exhaust. It starts with a tremendous "BOOM-gurgle" every morning. I guess it sounds okay, but I can't help but think I am down at the marina next to a powerboat... All the new GM SUVs also sound like boats when you install an aftermarket exhaust- it must be something about the firing order and the fact that the ARE boat engines.

The WRX motor is not my fave- generally, guys run right out and put a huge fart-can exhaust on them. Sounds like an old VW bug. I guess I am too old to appreciate this newfound/oldschool sound.

The Ford V8s sound pretty fantastic, especially the older pushrod motors when they have a big cam with headers & exhaust. A high school buddy of mine had an '88 Saleen Mustang with roller rockers, a big cam, head work, Extrude Honed intake, headers, no converters and FlowMasters... man, did that car sound awesome! And you have not lived until you've heard a 427 Cobra

And yes, I do love the sound of the straight-6 Japanese engines- that Supra in the video "gets it."
The 1-UZ has a nice, high-tech V8 sound as well. My dad giggles every time I take him for a ride in this car... he is an old-school hot rod guy, back to the Flathead Ford V8 days.

Then there are more exotic machines like V-12 Lambos and Ferraris. I am also a sucker for the Ferrari 360 with a Tubi exhaust. And the stock Carrera GT V-10 sounds killer as well. I see these on PCH about every weekend- they absolutely howl at full throttle! Pure sex!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 08-03-05 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 06:28 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I6+Blow-off+turbo spool = TEH WIN

Now I wanna hear my 1UZ-FE+blow-off+turbo spool.... and maybe some tire chirping.
Who wants to turn my car into a sponsored beast?