Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Early sales of Honda's Ridgeline truck disappoint;Pilot Refresh pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 03:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AlwaysLate
Whats your personal experience with the Ridgeline, 1SICKLEX? That article is a bit mis-leading saying that the Ridgline is based on the Odyssey. The Ridgline is actually based on the Pilot, which is based on the MDX, which is based on the Odyssey. The Honda Pilot's chassis is 90% exclusive, with only 10% being derived from the Odyssey in the end. When the Ridgline was in development, the Pilot's chassis was used at a starting point. After completion, it was almost totally changed. I don't know the exact number for the Odyssey and Ridgline chassis relation, but I think it is safe to say that it is less than 5% since the Pilot is 10%. I don't know if you knew all this before me telling you, but I think if you did, you wouldn't have called the Ridgline a "mini-van in drag." As far as pricing goes, I'm not to sure I trust what the article says. First of all, the Pilot is a mid-size truck, not a compact truck. Why the article is comparing the price of compact trucks, don't ask me. The crediblity of the article should be questioned more than anything. Why not compare it to other mid-size trucks? For example, a top-model Toyota Tacoma prices out at $30,000. It's still missing some of the features that the Ridgeline offers, but thats as highly equipped as the Tacoma comes before you add those accessories that are mostly dealer installed. I tried doing a comparison with the larger Toyota Tundra, but you can't get the Tundra in 4x4 when equipped with a V6. Just for comparison though, a top-model Tundra prices out at over $41,000. When Honda does add the V8 to the Ridgline, I don't think it will cost more than $2,500 considering the difference between a V8 and a V6 in a Tundra is $2,100. So even then, a V8 Ridgeline RTL with moonroof and Navigation should cost about $38,000. I don't think the Ridgeline and Tundra are even in the same class. So as I stop going off-topic here, I still have to wonder what other truck is in the Ridgeline's class that costs $10,000 less similarly equipped. The Ridgeline is a mid-size truck, the article should be comparing it to mid-size trucks, not compact trucks. As far as sales numbers go, I think the fact that the Ridgeline already comes so well equipped even in base form is it's main problem, this creating a higher than normal base MSRP. IMO, all Honda needs to do is offer models without 4wd, with manual transmissionsl; a stripped down model . Not everyone needs 4wd in a truck and some people just don't want get a truck with luxury features if they know they are going to be getting it dirty and using it for work a lot. So in conclusion, the Ridgeline is not just an Odyssey in drag. If it was, I don't think a recent leading auto publication would have given it first place in a comparison among other trucks in it's class.

AL, I wouldn't be caught dead in that truck. It may possibly be the ugliest vehicle sold today. I will never have a personal assesment, I think I would probably throw up if I went on a test drive.

I agree, some of the slow sales might have to do with not enough models but that is Honda arrogance for you. They're way or the highway. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

In the auto market, when you fail, you have to adapt quickly or your vehicle will rust on dealer lots.

Old 08-02-05, 04:32 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual, Honda is ahead of it's time just like Lexus was with the orignal RX300. It takes a while for people stuck in a certain mindset to understand the Ridgeline. Once they do, it's no turning back. MOst people are follower types, they need someone to take the plunge first before they jump in. If people think Ridegeline is not a real truck, then why isn't Titan making a dent in F150 sales? It's cruder and more brawny than a posh F150. Every generation, trucks become more and more carlike and refine. F-150 is currently the best at this. But Ridegline already beats the best there is at this game, it even out accelerates F150. But it's the new guy, it takes time to prove itself and make a dent in this ultra competitive segment.

Nationally, Tundra and Titan sales aren't all that either. But when I go to the local asian community, 9 out of ten truck is a Tundra and every asian household has at least 1 other Toyota in their drive way. Domestics are no where to be found. Now I'm slowly seing more and more Titan driven by asians. Why? Cuz once they give Titan a try, there's no going back to a tiny Tundra. Plus the fact that being seen in a Titan allows them not to feel or look like any other asians in a Tundra only adds more reason to seal the deal. It will be the same thing with the Ridgeline around here. Actually, I just help a friend pick up a Ridegline 2 weeks ago. AT first he thought it was gay and wouldn't even consider Ridegeline, but now he's got nothing but praise for the vehicle. He even went back and bought just about every accessories that Honda has to offer for that vehicle.
Old 08-02-05, 04:45 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
AL, I wouldn't be caught dead in that truck. It may possibly be the ugliest vehicle sold today. I will never have a personal assesment, I think I would probably throw up if I went on a test drive.
Speaking of throwing up, I always get that feeling everytime I see Corolla S(the one with the tacky kit) and the current ES330. Those are possibly the ugliest sedans on the american road today. Before I could let it lose, I keep seeing pictures of their awesome interiors in my mind and end up having to suk it all in.
Old 08-02-05, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
Speaking of throwing up, I always get that feeling everytime I see Corolla S(the one with the tacky kit) and the current ES330. Those are possibly the ugliest sedans on the american road today. Before I could let it lose, I keep seeing pictures of their awesome interiors in my mind and end up having to suk it all in.
I do think the Corolla is way to thin and way to tall, its just awkward. So it amazes me, its selling better than ever. Each Corolla has gotten better. And the inteiror is amazing for the price. BUt I agree, the looks are not my cup of tea at all.

The ES, it has grown on me and the recent refreshning looks better to me. Overall though, it is clearly, very different than any other sedan but its still odd to me and its a very big car. The interior though, it makes you forget all that, breathtaking at any price. Again, it sells like hotcakes though, so you can only appreciate that.

Old 08-02-05, 08:26 PM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I agree, some of the slow sales might have to do with not enough models but that is Honda arrogance for you. They're way or the highway. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

In the auto market, when you fail, you have to adapt quickly or your vehicle will rust on dealer lots.
Well looks is all personal opinion. I am more interested in your personal experience with the car since you said its a mini-van in drag. I'm assuming you must have had SOME experience with the Ridgeline to make a statement like that?
Old 08-02-05, 09:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

As usual, Honda is ahead of it's time just like Lexus was with the orignal RX300.
Er, huge difference. Original RX300 sold like crazy right away.
Old 08-02-05, 10:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Er, huge difference. Original RX300 sold like crazy right away.
Not just that, but the industry coped the RX by making they're own car based luxury SUVs.

I haven't seen one other company with any plans to replicate the Ridgeline.

Old 08-03-05, 12:40 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I like Hondas but Dyam! that new facelifted pilot is UGLY!

but i kinda like the new Ridgeline and i think it looks pretty cool!
Old 08-03-05, 05:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Not necessarily. It's just like people not buying a Solar Yellow IS300 w/ wood trim and 16" wheels. .
if you are referring.....as I suspect .......to my IS, mine does not have wood trim. It was not offered with the yellow paint. In my area (DC and suburbs) the IS300's I've seen are split just about even between the hi-perf 17' and all-season 16" tires. In your area (SoCal) very few people have the 16's.

Can't really compare IS sales to trucks, though........it is two completely different groups of people. Though Toyota sells a lot of trucks, in general, pickup buyers tend to heavily favor domestics. They are an intensely loyal group.....perhaps the most loyal in the entire vehicle industry....an extremely tough nut to crack.
My comment about the Ridgeline buyers was meant to emphasize that the Ridgeline offers what many domestics don't...refinement, a smooth ride, and an foolproof AWD system. I am aware, however, that you dislike this truck............you have made that clear in previous posting.
Old 08-03-05, 06:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
if you are referring.....as I suspect .......to my IS, mine does not have wood trim. It was not offered with the yellow paint. In my area (DC and suburbs) the IS300's I've seen are split just about even between the hi-perf 17' and all-season 16" tires. In your area (SoCal) very few people have the 16's.

Can't really compare IS sales to trucks, though........it is two completely different groups of people. Though Toyota sells a lot of trucks, in general, pickup buyers tend to heavily favor domestics. They are an intensely loyal group.....perhaps the most loyal in the entire vehicle industry....an extremely tough nut to crack.
My comment about the Ridgeline buyers was meant to emphasize that the Ridgeline offers what many domestics don't...refinement, a smooth ride, and an foolproof AWD system. I am aware, however, that you dislike this truck............you have made that clear in previous posting.
It's not that I dislike this vehicle...this car-truck sits on most Honda dealership lots here in SoCal...and alot of them park it up front for exposure. We have the largest Honda dealership in the world, Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos....they sit on plenty of them with paper ads with "special" discounts just to get them sold.
Old 08-03-05, 06:47 AM
Milla...

The thing is just but ugly and small and cost a lot what did they expect.
Old 08-03-05, 07:14 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I don't think the Ridgeline's price is overpriced but rather the lack of more model types, just like the Acura RL there is not much else so some may find the price high. Toyota has many various models and that helps keeps sales good. They should have various models for most Honda cars. It's kind of like how Dodge has a $20,000 Caravan and a $32,000 Caravan that's what Honda I think should do.
I also think the same thing. Honda has a problem with create a base model just for sales. I don't get it!!
Old 08-03-05, 09:54 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

LOL! i think the same thing when i see it as well. But hey, at least it sells.

But anyway, as i've been seeing the ridgeline on the streets, it doesnt look as bad as a initially thought. It has styling that takes some time getting used to. I'm sure it sales will pick up at some point
Old 08-03-05, 10:48 AM
LexFather

Add Honda to the list....

Note to self, cars not to talk about in Car-Chat
Infinitii anything (maybe I'll call them by the Nissan names instead)
Acura TL and most any Acura

We can talk about BMW, Audi, Benz, Yugo, Pagani, Kia, Hyundai etc but when those cars/brands come up, I am just dumber for even posting.