Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Early sales of Honda's Ridgeline truck disappoint;Pilot Refresh pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 10:18 AM
LexFather

Default Early sales of Honda's Ridgeline truck disappoint;Pilot Refresh pics

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102883

The Honda Ridgeline has a price problem.

The innovative V-6 pickup costs about $10,000 more than other compact trucks in the United States. And that is hurting sales, says Koichi Kondo, president of American Honda Motor Co.

He says Honda could put incentives on it if sales continue to disappoint, but it won't do so immediately. Honda typically uses cut-rate financing, subsidized leases and dealer cash to boost sales.

"We will take measures if needed," Kondo said at a press event in Tokyo two weeks ago.

Honda broke ground with the Ridgeline by creating it from the Odyssey minivan platform. Engineers welded a frame to the Odyssey's unibody.

Honda marketers have said it will appeal to upscale customers who own other Honda vehicles, motorcycles and power equipment.

It's difficult to get an exact read on the Ridgeline's popularity because it only went on sale in March. Honda sold 3,585 Ridgelines in June. Kondo said the goal is to sell 50,000 a year.

According to Power Information Network data, the Ridgeline's average transaction price in July was $31,602, nearly $10,000 more than the average price of other compact trucks. The Power Information Network is an affiliate of J.D. Power and Associates.

Honda executives in America acknowledge the higher price but say the Ridgeline provides more features, such as standard all-wheel drive, a comfortable ride and a lockable trunk built into the cargo bed.

Jim Roland, general sales manager of Heritage Honda in Baltimore, says: "It's a lovely vehicle. I think it's a tad overpriced. It's more or less priced up with the bigger trucks, but it's a small vehicle."

Although incentives could spur sales, Roland doesn't want to see Honda employ the tactic. He favors a more drastic approach: "I feel that they ought to drop the price - period."

Yuzo Yamaguchi contributed to this report

Old 08-02-05, 10:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I think this is just a coverup to say that the truck really didn't sell because it's butt ugly.
Old 08-02-05, 10:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Some good news for it though

2006 Honda Ridgeline Earns Best-Ever Rollover Rating for a Pickup

Government Testing Shows Ridgeline Safer, More Stable Than Other Pickups

TORRANCE, Calif., Aug. 1, 2005; -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today announced that the 2006 Honda Ridgeline pickup has achieved the best rollover resistance rating of any pickup tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The results were posted today on the NHTSA web site www.safercar.gov. Demonstrating the depth of Honda's "Safety for Everyone" commitment, the Ridgeline earned industry-best ratings for both the Static Stability Factor (SSF) and Dynamic Rollover test modes. Specifically, Ridgeline earned a rating of 1.29 for the SSF test, a higher (better) calculated result than all other pickups tested, and experienced no "tip-up" during the dynamic test.

Earlier this year, Ridgeline, Honda's first pickup truck, was the first-ever 4-door pickup to receive NHTSA's 5-star safety rating, the highest safety rating possible, for both frontal and side impact crash test performance.

"With this new rating and earlier top level ratings for frontal and side impact crash protection, the Ridgeline is setting new standards for safety in the pickup segment, and once again demonstrates Honda's commitment to providing Safety for Everyone," said John Mendel, senior vice president, automotive operations of American Honda Motor Co. "We offer our customers products that are at once fun to drive, environmentally sound and at the leading edge of automotive safety. We feel this is a unique position for Honda in the marketplace."

The Ridgeline's fully independent four-wheel suspension provides advanced stability along with better handling, ride comfort, and safety. The 4-door truck has been critically praised for its unique utility, innovative features and excellent ride quality. A leading consumer magazine recently selected Ridgeline as its top-rated pickup for 2005. In addition, the editors of Car & Driver magazine selected Honda's truck as the winner of its 2005 truck comparison (June issue).

Honda's "Safety for Everyone" commitment is a comprehensive approach based on providing customers with advanced safety features in each vehicle, regardless of size or price. In addition to dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags, all Ridgeline models come equipped with side curtain airbags with rollover sensor; front side airbags, including passenger side airbag with an Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS) to prevent airbag deployment when a child or small stature adult is in the deployment path; anti-lock brakes (ABS); Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control; and pedestrian safety features such as an energy-absorbing hood structure and hinges.

Completely new for the 2006 model year, the Ridgeline's integrated full-frame body structure also is designed to help protect its occupants while reducing the effect of crash energy on opposing vehicles for improved compatibility with smaller vehicles.

Honda has six vehicles -- more than any other vehicle brand -- that achieve a top 5-star rating for both frontal and side impact tests under the federal government's New Car Assessment Program (NCAP).

source : theautochannel
Old 08-02-05, 10:34 AM
LexFather

^^^
"The ground was quoted as saying, I thought it was it was a garbage truck that got in an accident they were using, then they told me it was the new Honda Ridgeline".

Ugly, overpriced, no V-8, and its a mini-van in drag with a nice stow away storage compartment.

Old 08-02-05, 10:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

This truck did "Earn Best-Ever Rollover Rating for a Pickup"...in my book it's not a real pickup truck....it's a modified SUV/Minivan chassis made to look like...or be like a truck. Call me conventional.
Old 08-02-05, 10:43 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
This truck did "Earn Best-Ever Rollover Rating for a Pickup"...in my book it's not a real pickup truck....it's a modified SUV/Minivan chassis made to look like...or be like a truck. Call me conventional.
Yeah...not surprised at its better rollover rating for a "pickup" when it's really a car.
Old 08-02-05, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
[url]

the Ridgeline provides more features, such as standard all-wheel drive, a comfortable ride and a lockable trunk built into the cargo bed.
This is true....and the comfortable ride and AWD are two things that IMO are long, LONG overdue in pickups. The Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra only recently started offering full-time 4WD / AWD....something that should have been done at least 8-10 years ago. Other domestic pickups have YET to offer it....they drag on with the old, useless-on-pavement part-time systems. I have also YET to see ANY domestic pickup ( even the Silverado ) with what I would call a smooth ride....especially with the bed empty.

If the public is not buying the Ridgeline, it is their loss.....although it is true that you can only charge so much of a premium before it starts to drive people way.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-05 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-02-05, 11:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If the public is not buying the Ridgeline, it is their loss.....although it is true that you can only charge so much of a premium before it starts to drive people way.
Not necessarily. It's just like people not buying a Solar Yellow IS300 w/ wood trim and 16" wheels. It's not what the public wants or cares to buy. It's not a desireable truck...which explains why market demand is so low for the Ridgeline.
Old 08-02-05, 12:09 PM
LexFather

Old 08-02-05, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

indeed i don't feel anything about the ridgeline at all.... it's like trying to be a lot of things but ends up not being anything...
Old 08-02-05, 12:25 PM
uthorns197
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For $10K more than other trucks, they can certainly keep it. No wonder it's not selling.

I gotta' believe that the "lockable in-bed trunk" is going to leak!!!
Old 08-02-05, 01:09 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Default Price

I don't think it's really that overpriced. If you compare it to a similarly equipped Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab, or a similarly equipped Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab, it's about the same price.

What's hurting it is that it doesn't have a stripper 2 door, 4x2 version costing $20,000. A lot of people actually buy stripper versions in the compact truck market.
Old 08-02-05, 01:19 PM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^
"The ground was quoted as saying, I thought it was it was a garbage truck that got in an accident they were using, then they told me it was the new Honda Ridgeline".

Ugly, overpriced, no V-8, and its a mini-van in drag with a nice stow away storage compartment.

Whats your personal experience with the Ridgeline, 1SICKLEX? That article is a bit mis-leading saying that the Ridgline is based on the Odyssey. The Ridgline is actually based on the Pilot, which is based on the MDX, which is based on the Odyssey. The Honda Pilot's chassis is 90% exclusive, with only 10% being derived from the Odyssey in the end. When the Ridgline was in development, the Pilot's chassis was used at a starting point. After completion, it was almost totally changed. I don't know the exact number for the Odyssey and Ridgline chassis relation, but I think it is safe to say that it is less than 5% since the Pilot is 10%. I don't know if you knew all this before me telling you, but I think if you did, you wouldn't have called the Ridgline a "mini-van in drag." As far as pricing goes, I'm not to sure I trust what the article says. First of all, the Pilot is a mid-size truck, not a compact truck. Why the article is comparing the price of compact trucks, don't ask me. The crediblity of the article should be questioned more than anything. Why not compare it to other mid-size trucks? For example, a top-model Toyota Tacoma prices out at $30,000. It's still missing some of the features that the Ridgeline offers, but thats as highly equipped as the Tacoma comes before you add those accessories that are mostly dealer installed. I tried doing a comparison with the larger Toyota Tundra, but you can't get the Tundra in 4x4 when equipped with a V6. Just for comparison though, a top-model Tundra prices out at over $41,000. When Honda does add the V8 to the Ridgline, I don't think it will cost more than $2,500 considering the difference between a V8 and a V6 in a Tundra is $2,100. So even then, a V8 Ridgeline RTL with moonroof and Navigation should cost about $38,000. I don't think the Ridgeline and Tundra are even in the same class. So as I stop going off-topic here, I still have to wonder what other truck is in the Ridgeline's class that costs $10,000 less similarly equipped. The Ridgeline is a mid-size truck, the article should be comparing it to mid-size trucks, not compact trucks. As far as sales numbers go, I think the fact that the Ridgeline already comes so well equipped even in base form is it's main problem, this creating a higher than normal base MSRP. IMO, all Honda needs to do is offer models without 4wd, with manual transmissionsl; a stripped down model . Not everyone needs 4wd in a truck and some people just don't want get a truck with luxury features if they know they are going to be getting it dirty and using it for work a lot. So in conclusion, the Ridgeline is not just an Odyssey in drag. If it was, I don't think a recent leading auto publication would have given it first place in a comparison among other trucks in it's class.

Last edited by AlwaysLate; 08-02-05 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-02-05, 03:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

This is the 'Aztec of pickups' - only less useful! Good for towing sowing machines. Good for hauling some bubble wrap. Overpriced. HIDEOUS. It's never gunna sell!

And mmarshall - my F-150 FX4 has a fine on highway ride, thank you. It's no Avalon but it's not uncomfortable. And AWD isn't as good for towing heavy loads vs. lockable 4WD mode.

I've said from the get go that this dog won't hunt. Still, Toyota started with the pretty lame T-100 too, but their pockets are MANY times deeper than Honda's and can be a lot more persistent. Toyota and Nissan eventually offered a V8, but Toyota is still not in the full size pickup business but that will change soon with the FTX.

For anyone who tows a reasonable sized boat, or in our case, a horse trailer, a full size V8 truck is the only option.
Old 08-02-05, 03:36 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think the Ridgeline's price is overpriced but rather the lack of more model types, just like the Acura RL there is not much else so some may find the price high. Toyota has many various models and that helps keeps sales good. They should have various models for most Honda cars. It's kind of like how Dodge has a $20,000 Caravan and a $32,000 Caravan that's what Honda I think should do.

Quick Reply: Early sales of Honda's Ridgeline truck disappoint;Pilot Refresh pics