Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how much should i charge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 09:32 AM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much should i charge?

hey guys i just need your opinions:

im about to do ao repair job for my parent's friends 94 accord 4cyl. im going to be doing the cv axles on both sides, all 4 rotors, and the radiator. how much should i charge for labor? parts total is about 360 bucks (100 for rad, 120 for rotors, 140 for both cv's). i would like to charge them less than than what any mechanic would charge, cause this is one of those friends helping friends type of deal
Old 08-04-05, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Regular Honda shops, like those of most lower-priced cars, usually charge from $70-90 an hour for labor...plus parts and shop " disposal " fees. Since you will be doing a one-on-one personal repair job, it of course will be up to you do decide, but I would suggest starting with half that amount ( $35-45 an hour labor ) and adjusting it up or down as you see fit and how close you are to these friends of yours.

As an aside note, since you will be doing a Honda brake job here, Honda rotors, both new and resurfaced, need a special cleaning technique before they are mounted, or trouble can develop later. and, of course, using a torque wrench and tighening the lugs by hand is usually best to avoid further rotor warping problems. I've never done a Honda brake job and don't remember the cleaning technique specifically, but I remember Pat Goss of MotorWeek discussing it on his car chat show (one of the ones I regularly take part in). Goss is great...a real expert....with many auto repairs, and he owns his own repair shop in Maryland. He can advise you specifically on preparing Honda rotors. Here is his web site:
http://www.patgosscarworld.com/