Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Crackdown on Modified Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-05, 08:36 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
The money should've gone to boarder patrol.
I'm telling you, Cali is full of neo-*****.
I've known plenty of openly racist cops... but who's gonna kick them off the force? You think their fellow officers are gonna rat them out?

There's a million other REAL issues that the state needs to address, but they won't. Why? Because cracking down on those punk kids really looks good to the predominantly senile voting public.

It humors me how people swear up and down that this county has overcome it's racist "dark ages" when racism can still be seen on a daily basis. I find it a bit interesting that EVERY person of color I've ever known has been pulled over for b.s. charges like "tinting" or "lighting" and then had their car searched while they sit on the curb like trash, yet in all my years on the road I have NEVER once seen one of those useless lifted trucks pulled over or impounded. The type of modifications done to highly lifted trucks is not only highly illegal, but it's also FAR more hazardous to the general public's health than tinted windows. Yet lifted trucks are characterized as "white" people vehicles and import cars are characterized as "foreigner" vehicles. This initiative isn't really gonna change anything other than finally give officers a valid excuse for pulling over innocent people. Maybe CHP finally just got sick of all the impending lawsuits.

All I have to say is I'm not the genius that elected an actor to political office.
Old 08-08-05, 09:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Another reason why I think California sucks
Haha question is have you ever lived here to make an educated decision to say it really sucks or not? Or are you just speaking from an outsider's point of view? Just curious.
Old 08-08-05, 09:19 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also think that the law is rediculous however a single Mom was killed about 1 mile away from my office about 6 weeks ago. She was leaving work and 2 people were racing on a fairly heavily traveled road at appox. 4:00 in the afternoon and one of them hit her broadside and ended her life.

To pull cars over becuse they appear to have "Illegal Modifications" is a crock of bull**** and the law goes deeper. If a child has modded the car the parents will be held accountable to the point that all of their assets including their home can be taken from them.

This is California home of the tree huggers, environmental wackies and best of all the Honorable Barbara Boxer. They recently had debates on the harmful effects of people washing their cars in their driveways and were going to issue legislation on banning it. They should get on with it and try to clear up the financial mess that they (the legislators) have put the state in, eliminate many of the welfare state programs that are driving the state into a deeper financial mess and stop conducting studies that cost the taxpayers millions; like the recently concluded study as to what pollutes the air more--- auto emissions or cow crap ( I AM BEING SERIOUS)

Back to the main subject; crack down on street racing YES, pull cars over because they look like they are modded NO. I own a modded SL55 and I have not hurt anything or anybody. Will I be pulled over? Probably not, however under this crackdown I am a candidate. As I said earlier what a CROCK.
Old 08-08-05, 10:20 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bean
Another reason why I think California sucks
I'm with you on that one.....they have the silliest laws, and this is proof that they love to waste money.......on modded cars? Come on now....
Old 08-08-05, 10:44 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

this is a true story. my buddy has an EVO with exhaust, cams, FMIC, intake, all the goodys. he had to strip is car down back to stock because of police. they gave him X amount of days to do so and if he hadnt done it there would be alot of fines and possible impound.
Old 08-08-05, 12:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree the crack down on street racings and such, but i think it should be two different, totally separated issues. modified cars don't mean it's going to be in races. on the other hand stock cars don't mean they won't engage in races. if they draw conclusions that modified cars are likely to be in races, then that's discriminations.

there are cars out there that are modified more for the "look" (let's just say those vip cars), what's the problem....

and nice story there on the texas police. the cops in cali should really do the math and think what's the best thing to do. i always still believe, the best way to achieve something is to change something, not force something.
Old 08-08-05, 01:40 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I also think that the law is rediculous however a single Mom was killed about 1 mile away from my office about 6 weeks ago. She was leaving work and 2 people were racing on a fairly heavily traveled road at appox. 4:00 in the afternoon and one of them hit her broadside and ended her life.

To pull cars over becuse they appear to have "Illegal Modifications" is a crock of bull**** and the law goes deeper. If a child has modded the car the parents will be held accountable to the point that all of their assets including their home can be taken from them.

This is California home of the tree huggers, environmental wackies and best of all the Honorable Barbara Boxer. They recently had debates on the harmful effects of people washing their cars in their driveways and were going to issue legislation on banning it. They should get on with it and try to clear up the financial mess that they (the legislators) have put the state in, eliminate many of the welfare state programs that are driving the state into a deeper financial mess and stop conducting studies that cost the taxpayers millions; like the recently concluded study as to what pollutes the air more--- auto emissions or cow crap ( I AM BEING SERIOUS)

Back to the main subject; crack down on street racing YES, pull cars over because they look like they are modded NO. I own a modded SL55 and I have not hurt anything or anybody. Will I be pulled over? Probably not, however under this crackdown I am a candidate. As I said earlier what a CROCK.

When I (ever, ever, ever) see a lifted truck getting pulled over, I'll let you guys know.
And my one of favorate ones: "Do you understand English?"
Old 08-08-05, 03:08 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Our taxsdollars pay officers for them to give us tickets, especially for nonsense issues like these???

I think that they read a study where people are dumping lots of $ into mods, so why not get their hand in this piece of pie also?

What a vicious cycle, sure makes alot of sense
And for people for driving the expensive car, there's more immunity (without the profiling) than the drivers in the hondas, toyotas, nissans....
Old 08-08-05, 03:47 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

They should just stick to doing that instead of harrassing car entusiasts
Old 08-08-05, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
. But I bet you ZERO Ferraris, M5's, and other exotics have been pulled over for this "violation". I'm sure those rich folks get to go along on their merry way.
I'm not sure I agree with this...but there is no way to prove it either way without hard numbers. But in general, the deeper someone's pockets are, the more fines that they can afford to pay. (and often do).
Old 08-08-05, 06:21 PM
gsfour
Pole Position

The $5 million will be used for an undercover unit. Hmmm...we'll have to learn how to spot those guys. They'll probably pose as car enthusiasts too.

Like the article said, this all started in San Diego a few years back. How's the mod scene there now? Has this effort really curbed the street racing or car modifying scene there?

Here's an old 2004 article about a crackdown in Santa Barbara.

http://www.ucsbdailynexus.com/news/2004/7276.html
Old 08-08-05, 09:23 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
In what was termed “The K-Mart Raid”, 270 teens were arrested nearly three years ago (8/18/02) in the early hours of an otherwise quiet Sunday morning. The police raid on the large parking lot shared by a Super K-Mart and several fast-food restaurants near one of Houston’s largest club scenes was intended to capture a large number of “street racers” who had been congregating in the area for months.

The problem with the large police action was that it was conducted while some of the restaurants and the K-Mart were still open, netting a number of shoppers and families stopping for a late-night meal. All were cuffed and stuffed. The result was chaos. Perhaps the most wrong-headed police action in Houston’s history, the raid conducted with all of the zeal of a major drug raid ended with the suspension of a dozen police supervisors and the firing of more than one senior chief. Had the mayor not already been term-limited, the half-bright political puppet (and former Houston and NYC police chief) sitting at the head of City Council would have lost his job too.

All of those who were arrested spent the night in jail, being released to their families the next day. Many, if not most brought suit against the city and the cases settled out of court with undisclosed compensation – in an attempt to minimize the political fallout from the fiasco. Like cockroaches fleeing the light, police officials scrambled to cover themselves and point fingers at others both up and down the chain of command. It was not the HPD’s finest hour.

Perhaps SoCal officials can take a lesson from this. Heavy-handed tactics by law enforcement have far-reaching consequences. Before conducting any large-scale effort to curb modified cars, they should consider Houston’s example. We know how to do it wrong.

Same thing happened in San Diego back in 95. The cops brought in buses to block exits of huge parking lots in Mira Mesa. What did it do? Well it got lots of press and the street racing scene doubled every year after that until it was freaking ridiculous.

On Saturday nights not only would streets be packed wall to wall, but in the summer the whole 52 freeway from one end of the 15 to Kearny Villa were closed down by street racers! I remember seeing close to 500 cars at one spot, another few hundred at another spot, and a few others all over the place. San Diego was really out of hand in the late 90s. I would say with the introduction of the "spectators will be jailed/fined/arrested" in 2001 the street racing scene is dead.

But these are 2 diffferent issues, mod car != street racer.
Old 08-08-05, 09:44 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
But these are 2 diffferent issues, mod car != street racer.
man, you are such a nerd. but so am i, for laughing at that statement! lol
Old 08-08-05, 10:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Variance
They shoot hang the bastards that are coming up with this and supporting this.

HEY ASSHATS, its BIGGER than HATING one people who modify cars. LIKE YOU DID IN THE PAST!!! Discouraging and harrasing people to modify will prevent some from participating in the future WHICH WILL HURT SMALL BUSINESSES AND LARGE CORPORTATIONS.

This is a country BUILT on freedom. If you take away the car, AMERICA is done as we know it. THIS IS CRAP!!!!

Its not RACING. People race in STOCK cars. People race in SLOW cars. People race in SUVs. The COPS race and kill MANY people in police chases.

This is just ANOTHER PATHETIC WAY FOR THESE BUTTHOLES TO COLLECT REVENUE!!!

1. Paying for tags to drive cars.
2. Paying for your license
3. Paying for insurance
4. Paying for Emissions.
5. Gas is AT AN ALL TIME HIGH
6. CARS COST MORE THAN EVER
7. Red light Cameras
8. More police and trafffic enforcement than ever
9. Speed limits from the 1970s
10. We have no autobahn
11. Speed Traps
12. Maintanance costs are up.
13. SUVs are king of the road now

DO THEY WANT US TO ALL BUY SEGWAYS?!?!?!??

Old 08-08-05, 10:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Neo
Man, does this mean they can scope out local car meets and ticket everyone? No need to catch people one by one. Wait for an "official" gathering and pounce. That would suck.
They do that here in GA. The police find out where the spots are, raid and ticket and impound everyone, even if your not racing, or if your watching.

They just had an undercover sting where they had a FINE lady who was waving the green flag for people to race, come to find out she was a cop and they busted EVERYONE, racing or not.

Quick Reply: California Crackdown on Modified Cars