Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Crackdown on Modified Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-05, 09:06 PM
Variance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Crackdown on Modified Cars

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Article Excerpt:
"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.
Source: Area law enforcers to receive training to combat street racing (Sacramento Bee, 8/4/2005)
Old 08-05-05, 09:13 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Variance
Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."
Uh oh...looks like all EVO owners are in big trouble...
Old 08-05-05, 09:36 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

that's rediculous. completely rediculous. modified cars in general are NOT the problem. i can see why they want to go after illegal tinting and things that actually ARE illegal, but from that article it makes it seem like altering the car in any form what-so-ever is wrong.
Old 08-05-05, 09:43 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What a waste of time that is. Like they don't have more to worry about than that - gay!

Jonny
Old 08-05-05, 09:55 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what a waste of money

"driving while asian" how friggin racist is that????

freeway shootings are what they need to focus on

when i still had my SC, they pulled me over thinking i was racing at 40 in a 45 zone, completely wasted 30 minutes of my time searching my car top to bottom and at the same time giving me BS attitude, this is ridiculous.....while i was pulled over, i saw so many people speeding well over 45, and this stupid cop pulls me over assuming i was racing, gaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy, he ended up having to let me go cuz he had nothing on me

Old 08-05-05, 10:03 PM
e43Guy
Pole Position

We are screwed

as much as I respect cops and police......this is official " F*** EM!"
Old 08-05-05, 10:22 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Well, look at the bright side. There will be less and less of those lifted trucks and Hondas with those ricy exhausts running around. I hope they start ticketing those Hummers with the 5 ft high bumper as they are just

Last edited by Kaban; 08-05-05 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-05-05, 10:26 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e43Guy
We are screwed
hahah... yes we are...but not as bad as the Honda guys!
Old 08-05-05, 11:06 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

How ridiculous. Under this "law", every Ferrari should be pulled over and given tickets. But I bet you ZERO Ferraris, M5's, and other exotics have been pulled over for this "violation". I'm sure those rich folks get to go along on their merry way.
Old 08-05-05, 11:18 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrock65

How ridiculous. Under this "law", every Ferrari should be pulled over and given tickets. But I bet you ZERO Ferraris, M5's, and other exotics have been pulled over for this "violation". I'm sure those rich folks get to go along on their merry way.
you're forgetting those harley motorcycles that way exceed the noise limit...but do u see them pulled over? NOPE, selective enforcement which is akin to profiling and that's not cool.

As for the lifted trucks...they wont pull them over, because they cant move fast enough to get out of their own way, but neve mind the safety factor that these huge trucks can cause should they ever run into someone.
Old 08-05-05, 11:35 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Didn't I tell y'all before. Street racers are the victims, cops are the crooks. Lets not forget their partners in crime, the freakin media.
Old 08-05-05, 11:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

This also nails the hot rodders who by smog exemption tened to have highly modded vehicles. Don't see too many of them driving their cars abusively though. (At least the ones I know.) Won't see them pulling up to a ricer gathering with their 30's-50's rod.

I don't like the motorcycle exhaust either...I recall being told that thier noise limits are vastly different than a car's. May not even have any regulation.
Old 08-05-05, 11:52 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OGS
hahah... yes we are...but not as bad as the Honda guys!
Right, especially if you're asian. Around here, cops will pull any asian driving a modified Civic(only a Civic) over to inspect the engine to make sure it isn't a stolen Integra motor. Course they never find any stolen engines, that's cuz all the stolen motors are sold to white kids in the suburbs. They even setup a dedicated gang task unit to go after these engines. They figure the asian gangs are behind this, so they focus only in the asian community. But Gangs aren't stupid enough to expose themselves by street racing or driving around in a high profile car with a stolen engine. Auto enthusiasts are the street racers and car modifiers. Many of these cops are just plain dumb I tell ya. When you put dumb and crooked together, the public suffers.
Old 08-06-05, 01:07 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Somebody's been watching too much Fast & Furious.
Old 08-06-05, 01:33 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

The money should've gone to boarder patrol.
I'm telling you, Cali is full of neo-*****.

Quick Reply: California Crackdown on Modified Cars