Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Civic spanks a Skyline GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05 | 11:29 AM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I thought the Civic sounded like one of those 5hp Briggs & Strattons!!!

Don't get me wrong. He would've handed me mine in a race, but then I would have been even more confused saying.."How in the hell did I just get beat by a Lawn Mower??"
I'm with you on that one. That thing didn't sound fast, at all.
Old 08-09-05 | 11:56 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

I thought the Civic sounded like one of those 5hp Briggs & Strattons!!!

Don't get me wrong. He would've handed me mine in a race, but then I would have been even more confused saying.."How in the hell did I just get beat by a Lawn Mower??"
Well, if you lose to a lawn mower in a drag race, you should've already known that your vehicle is to slow and not safe to drive on public roads. Shouldn't be confusing at all.
Old 08-09-05 | 12:02 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
Well, if you lose to a lawn mower in a drag race, you should've already known that your vehicle is to slow and not safe to drive on public roads. Shouldn't be confusing at all.

I'll take your comment tongue-in-cheek because I do have a sense of humor and I can laugh at myself as well as I can laugh at someone else. So I will continue with the humor and give you this link.

http://www.letsmow.com/

Some of these mowers can exceed 80 mph!! I wouldn't necessarily consider that slow.
Old 08-09-05 | 12:08 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

I'll take your comment tongue-in-cheek because I do have a sense of humor and I can laugh at myself as well as I can laugh at someone else. So I will continue with the humor and give you this link.

Some of these mowers can exceed 80 mph!! I wouldn't necessarily consider that slow.
LOL @ that website!!
Old 08-09-05 | 12:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Many of the fastest drag imports are civics and crx's mainly because they are small and light to begin with and can be made extremely light when gutted and striped. Supras and Skylines are larger heavier cars that are much nicer, desireable, and high tech then civics, crx's stock but when you try to make them into drag cars the weight of those vehicles is a big drawback and can keep you from the really low times unless you pump insane amounts of horsepower and spend tons of money. For an everyday driver or weekend driver I would take a Supra, Skyline, NSX, RX-7, 300ZXtt anyday over a civic or crx or other fwd small import but as an all out drag car the light weight and potential of the civic would mostly outweigh the heavier cars unless maybe you could squeeze a big block v8 with a supercharger in a Supra or Skyline making insane horsepower and torque. I am not surprised to see the tuned civic beat a Skyline on the dragstrip but on the track or for everyday desireability I would take the larger more exotic cars like Supras, Skylines, NSX, etc.
Old 08-09-05 | 12:58 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by UDel
Many of the fastest drag imports are civics and crx's mainly because they are small and light to begin with and can be made extremely light when gutted and striped. Supras and Skylines are larger heavier cars that are much nicer, desireable, and high tech then civics, crx's stock but when you try to make them into drag cars the weight of those vehicles is a big drawback and can keep you from the really low times unless you pump insane amounts of horsepower and spend tons of money. For an everyday driver or weekend driver I would take a Supra, Skyline, NSX, RX-7, 300ZXtt anyday over a civic or crx or other fwd small import but as an all out drag car the light weight and potential of the civic would mostly outweigh the heavier cars unless maybe you could squeeze a big block v8 with a supercharger in a Supra or Skyline making insane horsepower and torque. I am not surprised to see the tuned civic beat a Skyline on the dragstrip but on the track or for everyday desireability I would take the larger more exotic cars like Supras, Skylines, NSX, etc.
Nope. While Civics and CRX's can be made brutally fast, FWD puts SEVERE limitations on potential. They will continue to get faster but not at the same rate as RWD. Right now 2 of your fastest drag cars are Ara Arsalanian's Toyota Solara, and (I forget the driver and sponsor) but it is a Gold Toyota Supra. The Civics, at best, can only get to within 2 sec, 1/4 mile time, of the bigger heavier cars.
Old 08-09-05 | 02:25 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

HAHA!! Coolsite!

A client of mine use to built jet engine powered lawn mowers. That **** was crazy.
Old 08-09-05 | 02:31 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Nope. While Civics and CRX's can be made brutally fast, FWD puts SEVERE limitations on potential. They will continue to get faster but not at the same rate as RWD. Right now 2 of your fastest drag cars are Ara Arsalanian's Toyota Solara, and (I forget the driver and sponsor) but it is a Gold Toyota Supra. The Civics, at best, can only get to within 2 sec, 1/4 mile time, of the bigger heavier cars.
I haven't keeping up to date, but You mean the pro import RWDs are hitting 5.9sec in the quarter already? DAM!! The fastest FWD prodrag cars are doing high 7s. So a 5.9 would make it a 2sec gap.
Old 08-10-05 | 05:46 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I haven't keeping up to date, but You mean the pro import RWDs are hitting 5.9sec in the quarter already? DAM!! The fastest FWD prodrag cars are doing high 7s. So a 5.9 would make it a 2sec gap.
I may be a bit off then. I dont think the RWD are in the 5's just yet. Close, but I don't think so. Lets change it to a 1.5sec gap.
Old 08-10-05 | 07:44 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

that was avery unique race That civic must have been modded like hell.... bTW... some others races on that website are pretty cool to... Good Luck
Old 08-10-05 | 08:09 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

WOW!! Wait until you hear this info!!! First, I'm definately off with the difference in times. Checked with NHRA's sport compact site and the records are as follows.

Pro RWD 6.52
Pro FWD 7.40

.88 sec difference

But here's the interesting thing.

Pro RWD 6.52 ----------------------------------- '04 Chevy Cavalier!!!!!!!!!
Pro FWD 7.40 ----------------------------------- '04 Chevy Cavalier!!!!!!!

Pro FWD trap speed (forgot the speed) ----- '04 Chevy Cobalt!!!!!!!!!!

Damn!!!! That ecotec is putting the beat down on the foreign models!!!!
Old 08-10-05 | 08:11 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Could be OT but, here's a video of a well-tuned R34. And it's faaast.
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....52BEC&kw=9&p=0
Old 08-10-05 | 11:59 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

WOW!! Wait until you hear this info!!! First, I'm definately off with the difference in times. Checked with NHRA's sport compact site and the records are as follows.

Pro RWD 6.52
Pro FWD 7.40

.88 sec difference

But here's the interesting thing.

Pro RWD 6.52 ----------------------------------- '04 Chevy Cavalier!!!!!!!!!
Pro FWD 7.40 ----------------------------------- '04 Chevy Cavalier!!!!!!!

Pro FWD trap speed (forgot the speed) ----- '04 Chevy Cobalt!!!!!!!!!!

Damn!!!! That ecotec is putting the beat down on the foreign models!!!!
I'll second that Damn!! But I guess with GMs huge cash backing, it's kind of expected.