Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Civic spanks a Skyline GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-05 | 11:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Honda Civic spanks a Skyline GTR

Video link HERE not sure if it's a repost . . .
Old 08-08-05 | 11:32 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty cool. The true potential of the GTR has to be appreciated at a track I guess.
Old 08-08-05 | 11:33 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

although it is fun to see the "underdog" win in most situations, i hope this thread doesn't turn into another street racing debate. we've had enough of those lately.
Old 08-08-05 | 02:23 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Dump enough money into that GTR and it will be faster, LOL.
Old 08-08-05 | 04:08 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by adidosc
although it is fun to see the "underdog" win in most situations, i hope this thread doesn't turn into another street racing debate. we've had enough of those lately.
Dawg, theres no arguement here, we ALL know the Civic is the hottest, fastest, most unique sport compact ever made with more potential than any other car ever made.

AHHHHHHHHHAHA
Old 08-08-05 | 04:10 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

great vid
Old 08-08-05 | 04:20 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Hondas Civics just have the potential to be one of the fastest cars on the road because it is so light and cheap to tune. Sadly, its still an econo-box. I would like to see that Civic hit 160-170 mph while maintaing full stability
Old 08-08-05 | 05:24 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I guess I'm getting too old, because I have yet to see what "the deal" is about the Skyline. In Japan they are all over the place, not at all a special or limited edition car. This video proves that an econobox (as xknowonex calls it) can kick it's a$$. So if exclusivity and performance are not the big draws, then why are ricer fanatics in the U.S. so obsessed with the Skyline?
Old 08-08-05 | 05:50 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
I guess I'm getting too old, because I have yet to see what "the deal" is about the Skyline. In Japan they are all over the place, not at all a special or limited edition car. This video proves that an econobox (as xknowonex calls it) can kick it's a$$. So if exclusivity and performance are not the big draws, then why are ricer fanatics in the U.S. so obsessed with the Skyline?
Now this should be properly exclusive and nothing short of spectacular to even you.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106627

Don't forget to watch the video as well.
Old 08-08-05 | 06:50 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

i've seen that vid before.. its only an r32. I bet if it was an r34 the civic would of lost
Old 08-08-05 | 08:55 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

You calling skyline fans ricer fanatics? If so, then all Lexus fans or any fans of japanese vehicles also fall under that name.

Who says exclusivity and performance are not the main draw? Nissan instantly sold out all their 170K limited edition Nismo GT-R. This all happen in Japan where skylines are all over the place. Skylines come in many trim levels and body shape in Japan. Many skylines are 4dr sedan(G35s predecesors) and low power coupes bought by regular folks as a luxury cruiser. It's just like here, not everyone drives a Saleen Mustang or ZO6, 80% of stangs are 6cyls, you see them everywhere, but it doesn't mean a Saleen or Z06 isn't lust after by hicks in the US and by drifter fanatics in Japan. In addition to it's exclusivity and kickazz stock performances, the top level skyline's awesome tunability also contributes to the skyline GT-Rs main draw for enthusiasts in the US. A great is a great car no matter where you live.
Old 08-09-05 | 12:57 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I have nothing against econoboxes. My last was a beloved Calvalier Z24 coupe with only 150hp/150tq; it actually was fun as hell to drive since it was light. Im actually considerin gettin a Honda hatch as a daily driver.

The point that I tried to make about a Honda Civic being an econobox while comparin to the GTR is that the Civic was never really engineered to go at extreme speeds on a circuit track like a GTR, Vette, Porsche and other similar cars. There are many fast sub 11 sec Civics around capable of beating an Enzo or a Carrera GT in a 1/4 mile. The Civics, or even our cars, can only be capable of kicking a purpose built car in the 1/4 mile, thats it.

For example, one of my classmates had one of the sickest, fastest tuned STi until he sold it and bought a "slower" Porsche 911. Sure the STi can pull better 1/4 mile and skid pad numbers but the 911 just subjectively feels better on highway runs. Unlike the tuned STi, while 911 feels alot more more stable and safe to the point where u can weave around traffic on the freeway at 150mph. Every car is designed for a purpose. In this example, the STi is a rally car made to hit super tight corners up in the mountains while the Porsche is a big-track, autobahn racer; its like comparing apples and oranges. In the case of a hatch back versus the skyline, the hatch is an ecomony car while a skyline is a premiere sports car.

As for the Skyline losing a straightline race due to it being an older R32, theres not much validity to that. For some reason, probably due to weight, the older R32 and R33 are actually more often built as drag cars. For some reason, they are better drag cars than the R34
Old 08-09-05 | 05:14 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by got_trd
i've seen that vid before.. its only an r32. I bet if it was an r34 the civic would of lost
Stock vs Stock, the R32 is faster.
Both the R34 and R32 have 280 hp and the R32 is lighter.
Old 08-09-05 | 10:49 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Any street car can be beaten on the right day if you put enough money into yours. The way that Civic was pulling on the R32, it looks like R32 isn't even modded while the Civic sounds like one of those 700HP Supras.
Old 08-09-05 | 11:09 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
Any street car can be beaten on the right day if you put enough money into yours. The way that Civic was pulling on the R32, it looks like R32 isn't even modded while the Civic sounds like one of those 700HP Supras.
I thought the Civic sounded like one of those 5hp Briggs & Strattons!!!

Don't get me wrong. He would've handed me mine in a race, but then I would have been even more confused saying.."How in the hell did I just get beat by a Lawn Mower??"

Quick Reply: Honda Civic spanks a Skyline GTR