Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What new Auto trends would you welcome??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 07:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default What new Auto trends would you welcome??

I saw this topic on another forum, and thought I would try it here.

The orginial poster talked about how we can predict what color will be hot in the next coming years based on whats popular in the clothing industry. Which is funny because I was thinking about this just last week. I've noticed this year a great deal of white cars running around on the street. Now for the longest time, as some know, I hated white cars but after seeing many white cars, I've come to embrace the so called non color. And coincidentally White is THE in color this year in the fashion industry. Now automakers are trying to mix other colors with white(like the Glacier Frost Mica)

A few years ago the in color was Orange and we had the Orange Maxima, 350Z, Murano, Sentra, FX-series, CTS, Lambo, even Volvo got in on the action for a bit. And for a long time Dark Grey has been a popular color of choice as well.

Now I ask you, what new Auto trends would you welcome?? Or what old trends would you welcome back??

Some ideas that I've seen were, color changing guages, more diesels in the US, wagons making a strong comeback, 4 door convertibles, suicide doors, etc.
Old 08-09-05, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
I saw this topic on another forum, and thought I would try it here.

The orginial poster talked about how we can predict what color will be hot in the next coming years based on whats popular in the clothing industry. Which is funny because I was thinking about this just last week. I've noticed this year a great deal of white cars running around on the street. Now for the longest time, as some know, I hated white cars but after seeing many white cars, I've come to embrace the so called non color. And coincidentally White is THE in color this year in the fashion industry. Now automakers are trying to mix other colors with white(like the Glacier Frost Mica)

A few years ago the in color was Orange and we had the Orange Maxima, 350Z, Murano, Sentra, FX-series, CTS, Lambo, even Volvo got in on the action for a bit. And for a long time Dark Grey has been a popular color of choice as well.

Now I ask you, what new Auto trends would you welcome?? Or what old trends would you welcome back??

Some ideas that I've seen were, color changing guages, more diesels in the US, wagons making a strong comeback, 4 door convertibles, suicide doors, etc.

White is the hot color, on teh show circuit, its making a very big apperance.

What would I like to see.
1. Better fuel economy. BMW, Honda, Toyota seem to get this point. Where is everyone else?
2. Ligher cars. Cars are all just too heavy now. FIGURE it out, stop just adding more power.
3. More RWD/AWD cars. This is a great trend I hope continues.
4. Japnese super-cars/super luxury cars. GT-R, LF-A, NSX and next next LS, can't come fast enough but we need MORE.
5. American surgance. And I don't mean employee pricing. i mean making ALL cars world class, not just the Vette.
6. Better quaility. Its getting tiring seeing all the same names on the top of the list. EVEYRONE is capable of making a quality car. CONSUMERS DESERVE IT.
7. More manuals. Screw SMG, paddle shifters, etc etc and all this wanna be manual crap. GIVE US real manuals. Keep the semi-manuals as an option. Don't tell me only 5% of the maket wants it and it makes no sense. It makes sense to 5% of the people.
8. The USA continuing to get Euro/JDM cars. We are getting the EVO, etc etc. We want MORE.
10 Better seats. Its funny but we sit ON this part of the car and some designs are horrible. How about not just worrying about your HP rating. How about the seat.
11. Better interiors. Some car companies get it. Nothing is worse than sitting in a brand new $30,000 car/SUV and the interior is from 1953. What is that? This is where I AM, inside the car.
12. More hybrids. Keep investing and improving the technology. Better perforamnce, better economy, its a no-brainer.
13, Continued exotic onslaught. Give kids something to dream about. Give us something to aspire to. Make us dream.

Old 08-09-05, 07:24 PM
Order66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring on the "Minority Report" lifestyle.

In the movie there was mass transportation, but everyone still had their own private vehicle to use on the system. Way less accidents. Way less stress.

People also could still actually drive if they wanted to like the hot red Lexus sportscar Tom Cruise had.

Seems like a win/win situation. The vast majority of the population gets an awesome mass transport system, true driving enthusiats get awesome vehicles to drive.
Old 08-09-05, 07:46 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

My 9 Picks...........

1) Better Fuel Economy or improved Hybrids
2) Optional Voices for Navigation systems. Same voice gets tiresome after a while esp if it is a guy.
3) Cupholders in 85% of cars suck esp Non SUV's
4) More Vanity lighting in rear seats and reclining rear seats in all 40K and up cars (coupes/sedans/SUV's)
5) color changing gauges for Dashboard and Instrument Cluster.
6) The end to soft top convertibles in 50K and up convertibles. BMW 6 series and CLKs need to stop this.
7)I definitely agree with 1SickLex regarding Japanese 75K and up supercars
8)Please no more Azteks, Tribecas or convertible PT cruisers with wood panels. We don't need that
9) Bring back the 8 Track
Old 08-09-05, 07:54 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I think the headlight design has come a long way! And I welcome sexier designs.

I remember back in 1990, the Accord had the hottest looking lights. They were clear and the mirror design was shown off (something you can see during the day). Then everyone went clear. I think the green-tint of Lexus headlights are totally hot.

I'd like to see all Lexus model have LED lights, including turn signals. Dual exhausts should be standard (slowly but surely it's becoming a reality, sans the SUV's)

As far as the hot color... I'd say steel gray (the current CRV has a hot-looking gunmetal gray) Not as dark as Flint.
Old 08-10-05, 05:06 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

More choices in interior/exterior combinations. If you check out the lexus.jp website, especially for the SC430, there are many more color choices offered in the home market. Also, interior trim pieces should be changeable at the dealer when the car is purchased. Wood trim, black stained wood and aluminum trim could be snapped in and out very easily without additional cost.

More wheel/tire choices. Lexus should allow wheel swapping with other Lexus wheels at the time of the new car sale, at the dealer.

Continue to improve fuel economy of all Lexus models and offer hybrid technology without all the add-ons for less money.

Lexus should break up some of the packages and offer individual options, like ML without Nav, etc.
Old 08-10-05, 05:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with a number of these suggestions but I think one big problem with the industry as a whole is this obsession with trying to make EVERYTHING look and handle like sports sedans and sports cars. Every year we see lower-profile tires, stiffer suspensions, and more and more standard " sport " interiors with a loss of wood paneling and an abundance of metal trim.

Now...I know a lot of you guys want agility, steering response, high-G cornering, etc.......and don't like what you consider "Grampa" Buick-style interiors. Fine.....no problem.......you SHOULD get the cars YOU like, but the problem is that the WHOLE industry is going that way, and riding comfort is simply being forgotten in the never-ending quest for flatter cornering, quicker steering response, and firmer, harder, "sport" seats. ( like Recaros )

As an example...take my two most recent cars. 5 years ago, the 2001 IS300 I bought had a choice of stock 45-series hi-performance or softer-riding 55-series all-season tires. No more....the new 2006 IS250/350 will have 45's across the board....even on the AWD version where ground clearance is more of an issue. And the 2006 Outback...which I just bought. Last year the Outback had 60-series tires standard on the base versions and 55's on the Turbos and L.L. Beans...no more. The 60-series are gone.....55's are now standard across the board, which not only ride marginally firmer but also are not quite as effective on slippery surfaces.....odd in a car designed for bad weather.

Cadillacs are perhaps the most transformed cars of all. Even the DeVille has become much more BMW-like in the last several years, and the new STS has traded a good deal of comfort for the pursuit of agility. The CTS-V is the hardest-riding of all...but of course was designed to be a BMW M-competitor, and you know this when you buy one.

So my point is...YES, DEFINITELY build sports sedans for the sporting crowd but DON'T neglect ( as the industry is chronically doing ) people who like softer, more sedate cars as well.

Outside of the Lexus ES330, LS430, Buick Park Avenue, and Lincoln Town car, it is difficult to find cars today designed exclusively for comfort. Even the LS430 has had the suspension stiffened slightly in the last few years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-05 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 09:39 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as colors go, I think the trends will see some of the pearl colors replaced with non-metallic (but highly glossy) finishes, we may even see (-shivers-) dark browns and tans come back into style. I also think we will see non-metallic blues and greens.

Colors like charcoal (Mercedes Tectite Gray, Porsche Seal Gray) are hot right now, as they were in the early-mid eighties, but they sure are boring. Silver was hot, but it's pretty "last year" now. Some of the new colors will be a bit more bold and unusual, like the new silver/blue seen on the new GS.

And, finally, Chameleon/color-shifting paint is officially dead.
Old 08-10-05, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
And, finally, Chameleon/color-shifting paint is officially dead.
No tears shed here. Not only was this IMO just a fad but it could be a nightmare for body shops to deal with trying to repaint.
Old 08-10-05, 11:09 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, one trend I already see happening... down with the gas guzzling, monstrous, crappy handling, bumper that will smash my windshield SUV. I'm not a big SUV fan to begin with. First came the size wars... Hummer, Excursion, then the big lux SUVs like the X5, Escalade, Navigator, etc. Then they all decided lets shove bigger more gas sucking engines into these monstrosities so that their crappy brakes will become even more apparent.

If they all went away, I wouldn't shed a tear. IMHO of course...
Old 08-10-05, 04:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with a number of these suggestions but I think one big problem with the industry as a whole is this obsession with trying to make EVERYTHING look and handle like sports sedans and sports cars. Every year we see lower-profile tires, stiffer suspensions, and more and more standard " sport " interiors with a loss of wood paneling and an abundance of metal trim.

Now...I know a lot of you guys want agility, steering response, high-G cornering, etc.......and don't like what you consider "Grampa" Buick-style interiors. Fine.....no problem.......you SHOULD get the cars YOU like, but the problem is that the WHOLE industry is going that way, and riding comfort is simply being forgotten in the never-ending quest for flatter cornering, quicker steering response, and firmer, harder, "sport" seats. ( like Recaros )

As an example...take my two most recent cars. 5 years ago, the 2001 IS300 I bought had a choice of stock 45-series hi-performance or softer-riding 55-series all-season tires. No more....the new 2006 IS250/350 will have 45's across the board....even on the AWD version where ground clearance is more of an issue. And the 2006 Outback...which I just bought. Last year the Outback had 60-series tires standard on the base versions and 55's on the Turbos and L.L. Beans...no more. The 60-series are gone.....55's are now standard across the board, which not only ride marginally firmer but also are not quite as effective on slippery surfaces.....odd in a car designed for bad weather.

Cadillacs are perhaps the most transformed cars of all. Even the DeVille has become much more BMW-like in the last several years, and the new STS has traded a good deal of comfort for the pursuit of agility. The CTS-V is the hardest-riding of all...but of course was designed to be a BMW M-competitor, and you know this when you buy one.

So my point is...YES, DEFINITELY build sports sedans for the sporting crowd but DON'T neglect ( as the industry is chronically doing ) people who like softer, more sedate cars as well.

Outside of the Lexus ES330, LS430, Buick Park Avenue, and Lincoln Town car, it is difficult to find cars today designed exclusively for comfort. Even the LS430 has had the suspension stiffened slightly in the last few years.

My God good point. The editor of EVO had his editorial and it was about how the NURBURGRING runied cars. Everything has low profile tires and is supposed to handle like a 911.

Old 08-10-05, 06:39 PM
buckeyeboy
Driver School Candidate

Default auto option more makers should have

Keyless doors and ignitions. Not sure what mfgr's call it, but the key (transponder?) stays in the drivers pocket, then as he approaches his car, the door lock automatically pops and the driver only has to push a button to start the ignition.

Brilliant!