Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

are u tired of lifted trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 09:18 AM
mikevogel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuikLex
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a lifted truck even if the owner doesn't use it for off-roading. I personally have a 02 F-350 w/ a 8" lift and haven't taken it off-roading. I originally bought to tow my boat around. I lifted it for the same reason that I lowered my Lexus...because I like how it looks. As for saftey...as soon as the 38's went on, so did the big brake conversion. I'm not saying that every lifted truck has bigger brakes to compensate for the bigger tires, but there are ones out there that are safe. All i'm saying is that there is no need to put "all" lifted trucks in the same stereo-typical category.
yes i understand that that is your opinon mine is there a waste of money if not being used off road. you may get good looks but you get bad handling bad gas mileage and a empty wallet
Old 08-12-05, 09:27 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by mikevogel
yes i understand that that is your opinon mine is there a waste of money if not being used off road. you may get good looks but you get bad handling bad gas mileage and a empty wallet

Well dang I might as well get rid of my LX then if thats the case, its not even lifted and I get bad handling & bad gas and no power. Buuut its better than wasting money on things you don't like or something you get no satisfation out of.
Old 08-12-05, 09:59 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Its a saftey hazard to other road users. If you use it to off-road there is not much choice, however those who do it just for the sake of it, then they should reconsider.
Old 08-12-05, 10:00 AM
mikevogel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Milla...
Well dang I might as well get rid of my LX then if thats the case, its not even lifted and I get bad handling & bad gas and no power. Buuut its better than wasting money on things you don't like or something you get no satisfation out of.
hmm no im saying why ruin a stock truck's handling and gas milage just for looks this is my personal opinion i understand some people like them and with your LX then what are u saying you have mods on it and it handles bad gets bad gas milage and has no power
Old 08-12-05, 10:13 AM
QuikLex
Pole Position

You've obviously never ridden in a truck that was lifted correctly. I'm not saying that they are meant for road racing, but atleast in my case, my lifted F-350 corners just as good as my GS did stock...can't exactly complain. As for gas mileage, turbo diesel power baby!
Old 08-12-05, 10:25 AM
QuikLex
Pole Position

why ruin a stock truck's handling and gas milage just for looks
I agree that you have your own opinions...but this is just like saying why ruin your tires by lowering your GS. We all know there are no camber kits for our cars yet we still lower them. It makes them more appealing to us. There are sacrifices with all types of modding...wether it be a Lexus, a Supra, or a truck...you are going to sacrifice something in your quest for your dream car.
Old 08-12-05, 10:35 AM
Milla...

hmm no im saying why ruin a stock truck's handling and gas milage just for looks this is my personal opinion i understand some people like them and with your LX then what are u saying you have mods on it and it handles bad gets bad gas milage and has no power
No this baby is stock. When I say handles bad I mean cornering/ swaying. When I say bad gas, well its an SUV sooo. When I say no power I mean its rated power is way below what one would think an SUV of this size would have, I live in the hills so I feel it whenever i drive it to and from home.
Old 08-12-05, 10:53 AM
mikevogel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by QuikLex
You've obviously never ridden in a truck that was lifted correctly. I'm not saying that they are meant for road racing, but atleast in my case, my lifted F-350 corners just as good as my GS did stock...can't exactly complain. As for gas mileage, turbo diesel power baby!
i've road in many lifted trucks but they were for off road use. i find it hard to belive a F-350 corners as good a gs but then again i have never ridin in your truck so its hard to tell like i said im not saing lifting is stupid i used to have a old bronco II with a 302 swap and a lift kit it was drivin off road most of its life. why do you think the hummer sells its all about looks anymore they have really have no purpose.again this is my personal opinion
Old 08-12-05, 11:06 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that lifted trucks are played out....but there is a group of die hard off-roaders out there...their trucks are not raised so high that their offroad capabilities are compromised, but rather built for off-road terrain negotiating....
After I'm done with modding my SC, my 05 Pre Runner Tacoma will get the suspension treatment....Sway Away Long Travels , Upper and Lower Control Arms, BumpStops, Deavers in the rear, and limit straps....check it out....
Attached Thumbnails are u tired of lifted trucks-kit2.jpg  
Old 08-14-05, 02:09 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i'm not so much as tired of lifted trucks as i am scared of them. because they are so high, i'm always afraid that they aren't gonna see me and can easily run me over. i guess one of the reasons i avoid even gettin close to a lifted truck or even a stock height big SUV
Old 08-14-05, 03:16 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are very rare over here, LOL.
I don't have a problem with them either.
Old 08-14-05, 05:57 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got no problem with the majority of them over here, since most of the ones I see are usually rural and are really serving a purpose (not many decent roads in the rural areas). It'd kinda be like getting an SUV and slapping on big **** wheels and slamming it really... there is usually a 4WD within that SUV!

I don't mind them *too* much in the burbs etc, but a lot of them think they're king of the road... like truckies, and taxis... but then again you get those kinda people with whatever type of car/truck.

Aww crap... I dropped another 2c lol

Jose
Old 08-14-05, 09:46 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
I don't mind them *too* much in the burbs etc, but a lot of them think they're king of the road... like truckies, and taxis...
Ugh don't even get me started on taxi drivers... according to a few Chicago Police officers I asked, the taxi drivers are the reason that they outlawed cell phone usage while driving in the city

sorry.. back on topic
Old 08-14-05, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah i'm sick of them. It's pointless to lift a truck that high. It's not like they take it off road in the first place. Plus it's a waste of money for those expensive tires...and gas. What's the point!?
While I'm not a psychologist, I think it mainly involves a sense of power and control. Assuming that this is not done sole for off-road ground clearance purposes, big, honking tires like that and a ultra-high riding height gives the driver a sense of superiority and intimidation over " lesser drivers ". I'm not sure who the guys are in SoCal where you live that are driving these type of trucks, but here in the D.C. area many ( if not most ) of these full-sized pickups with Mickey Mouse tires are driven by red-neck types with shotguns and either U.S. or Confederate flags....generally outside the Beltway ( a truck with a rebel flag wouldn't last 5 minutes in 80% African-American D.C. ) Not all of them are red-neck vehicles, however......some are used in construction areas where one must contend with deep mud....hence the large tires for traction and ground clearance.

It must be remembered when operating a vehicle of this type that without correction gears or other devices installed, tires that are much-larger-than standard will give much lower speedometer and odometer readings than the vehicle was designed for, leading to a increased chance for speeding tickets due to the false speedometer readings and also voiding the warranty due to a false mileage representation on the odometer. With the very high center of gravity, the chances of tip-overs or roll-overs will also be greatly increased.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-14-05 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-14-05, 07:30 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

when I was younger my family got rear ended by one a lifted truck.... it completely missed our rear bumper and hit somewhere mid-way around the rear gate of our caravan... completely wrecked us.

To the driver of the lifted truck, we were a 5 person moving speed bump. No damage to his car, he just got out, brushed our glass off his hood, exchanged information and went on his way.

If you ask me, lifted trucks without big brake upgrades is one of the most unsafe things on the road. When it hits another car, it isn't pretty.

They should just lose their 5 MPH bumpers and install spikes... you're screwed either way.

A high-res pic of that STI photo would be awesome

Quick Reply: are u tired of lifted trucks