Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car sponsorships.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 08:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I buy my own parts, make my own choices. I don't need anyone doing that for me.
Old 08-11-05, 09:09 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do too, but if someone is willing to help out a little, then why not. Just not with restrictions like they are putting on me. Like others have said, it can be too much pressure, and i'm just not down for that.

John
Old 08-11-05, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, help is always good, but never ever let money get into you. you should be the owner of the car, not the shop. if you are not allowed to do whatever you really want with the car, it's just sad
Old 08-11-05, 09:43 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been very lucky as well

My sponsors are great people

who have been very supportive of me and have helped me out in a big way

not just with product but with connections they have made and passsed onto me

ive been in this a short time and the people i have met have been great

but in truth i owe this all to Andy AKA Dman63
Old 08-11-05, 09:58 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be honest John and I'm not trying to offend anyone here who has sponsors. I can understand that getting sponsored is cool for help on prices and certain perks at shows depending on the sponsor but I have always wanted to do it differently as far as converting my car to a strictly show, meets and weekend car. I wanted to do it for myself, my own time frame, and my own money. I understand that people will call this crazy,"shoot their paying for it, why not" But to me thats the great part about doing it yourself. You feel prouder of you work and effort. You don't have to go anywhere you don't want to. You don't have to bring your car by their shop when they feel like showing it off. You don't have to put their club or company stickers on your car or in your display at a show.

Again, i'm not trying to say anything bad about people who have or are searching for sponsors but I have turned sponsors down to keep my slate clean. I love when someone walks up to my car at a show and asks who I'm sponsored by and I say "me,myself, and I Inc." and their face changes. Its a great feeling to know that you did it on your own without haveing to comprimise anything you had invisioned for a sponsor. Its the same reason I don't join car clubs. I've been asked to join a couple big ones down here and it sucks when I don't know how to explain that I rather not.

To some it up, imo . Their are a lot of perks and nice things that being sponsored can bring but their are also a lot of headaches that it can bring aswell. Its up to you.
Old 08-11-05, 10:34 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bluelex
I'll be honest John and I'm not trying to offend anyone here who has sponsors. I can understand that getting sponsored is cool for help on prices and certain perks at shows depending on the sponsor but I have always wanted to do it differently as far as converting my car to a strictly show, meets and weekend car. I wanted to do it for myself, my own time frame, and my own money. I understand that people will call this crazy,"shoot their paying for it, why not" But to me thats the great part about doing it yourself. You feel prouder of you work and effort. You don't have to go anywhere you don't want to. You don't have to bring your car by their shop when they feel like showing it off. You don't have to put their club or company stickers on your car or in your display at a show.

Again, i'm not trying to say anything bad about people who have or are searching for sponsors but I have turned sponsors down to keep my slate clean. I love when someone walks up to my car at a show and asks who I'm sponsored by and I say "me,myself, and I Inc." and their face changes. Its a great feeling to know that you did it on your own without haveing to comprimise anything you had invisioned for a sponsor. Its the same reason I don't join car clubs. I've been asked to join a couple big ones down here and it sucks when I don't know how to explain that I rather not.

To some it up, imo . Their are a lot of perks and nice things that being sponsored can bring but their are also a lot of headaches that it can bring aswell. Its up to you.
I agree and that's exactly what i was afraid of losing. The feel of knowing that i have done everything i have done, even if it is the 3rd time around for most of it, on my own. My car, my money, my priorities. It's a different feeling i guess to get complimented on my ride when i tell people that it's my money i'm putting into it, and no a sponsor, or by doing anything illegal (that's a biggie). I agree completely Adrian. PS i will be in touch with you soon about what we have been discussing.

John
Old 08-12-05, 12:14 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

bluelex, I agree with your summation. For the regular "retail joe," getting sponsored by several companies is pretty difficult and will definitely influence the overall look of your car. As the car owner, if one is willing to put up with this, you can build a decent car, but never really "your" show car.

Choice of vehicle is important, too. If you don't have the 'right' vehicle, a sponsor won't be interested. For example, Brembo is probably not interested in sponsoring a Prius...

I am involved with industry partners for a different reason: ultimately, I am looking to sell more of my products. The cars we build for the purpose of demonstrating our product MUST be built to a certain level to get the media coverage and present the image we are seeking. If we can get exposure for our partners along the way, we in turn help them, too.
Old 08-12-05, 03:52 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with bluelex as well. It just really depends. For me, my RX330 is under sponsorship contract because of the tires. However, for my NSX, I decided to buy my own tires even if I am using the same brand that our car club is sponsored by. This gives me the freedom to do whatever I want with that particular car. I can choose to put it in the show along side my fellow club members, or I can choose to leave that car at home if I want. No obligations with that car. Also, the way our sponsorship works is the club itself is not obligated to run that particular brand of tires. They can run whatever they want. The only thing with that is if they choose to enter car shows with the rest of the sponsored members, they can't run mixed up with the sponsored tired group. They can be next to them, but not mixed up with them. We have to keep it somewhat separate. Also, if our sponsor gets a booth or pays for the entrance fee, that only goes to the sponsored members and the others can't be in the same booth. Now, with my NSX because I have the same brand of tires I can run in the mix, but I just don't get to go in the booth if they have one, or get that cars entrance fee paid if the sponsor elects to pay for it.
Old 08-12-05, 05:22 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

I think a lot of people take the whole car show scene a bit to serious in some cases. They'll get sponsored to buy thing that they didn't plan on purchasing, and put it on the car "because they're sponsored by XXX" regardless of how it looks. I've never understood some of the cars out there who do certain modifications because "It's good for XXX judging points". Build a car that you love to wake up and look at with your time, money , blood, sweat and tears and in the end sponsors will come. In my opinion I'd much rather have a car that sponsors recognize and offer thier help, than a car that I have to loan out to the world for every local car show under the sun. It's much better being in the big manufactures booth for free with good hospitality, then to pay to sit in under the hot sun all day on your own dime. To each their own though.
Old 08-12-05, 07:23 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Onelove
I think a lot of people take the whole car show scene a bit to serious in some cases. They'll get sponsored to buy thing that they didn't plan on purchasing, and put it on the car "because they're sponsored by XXX" regardless of how it looks. I've never understood some of the cars out there who do certain modifications because "It's good for XXX judging points". Build a car that you love to wake up and look at with your time, money , blood, sweat and tears and in the end sponsors will come. In my opinion I'd much rather have a car that sponsors recognize and offer thier help, than a car that I have to loan out to the world for every local car show under the sun. It's much better being in the big manufactures booth for free with good hospitality, then to pay to sit in under the hot sun all day on your own dime. To each their own though.
One thing to remember is that most of those wild show cars that are in it to win are specifically show cars only. These tpyes of cars are modded specifically to win and nothing else. It is not imposible, but it is very rare to have a show winner that is a daily driver. Often owners of trailor queen show cars don't care what it looks like just as long as it wins. We are in it for the fun because quite frankly most of us can't compete with the show only cars. There is one show car locally in my area that wins 1st place alot but the car doesn't even run. The motor and everything looks all good but it doesn't even start. You will find many of these show only cars are undrivable for one reasons or another. Most probably wont pass any sort of local anual state or county inspection either. Often when you do the whole car show scene you have to decide if you want to do it for the fun and enjoyment or to win. Unfortunately I persoally feel if you are in it to win, often you have to sell our and sell your soul to the devil. Many of the judging is not exactly unbiased either so you have to live with the politics. Since we are mostly in it for club participation and just to have fun, we put our flawed cars in and just have a good time.
Old 08-12-05, 08:13 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SoCalSC4- Your situation is much different and understandable, You can gain a lot by being able to sell your products and other quality products that sponsor the car. Its win win for you.

Onelove- I think CK6Speed hit it on the nose. When any show comes to If its inside I pay for double spots to display the car. When the show is outside in the "hot sun" I bring my own 10ft. x10ft. tent, fans and hook the power up to my truck. Like 6kspeed said their are a lot of people who take the whole show and points thing too far. I understand points very well but refuse to do certain things for them. I don't enter shows to win best of show. I aim more for "Best Lexus","Best Luxury", and "4 Door Mild" But I do enter for my own pleasure and for the love of showing my style, Competing is human nature once your in a show and you would like to win but I don't go home mad if I win or lose at a show. I've lost or have come in 2nd place to many cars that I probably shouldn't have but I don't go up to the judges and complain(I've seen this get ugly at shows " I don't take it home, I leave it at the show. Like 6kspeed said their cars at shows that are trailor queens that don't know what the reg. street looks like. You can't compete with that unless you do the same and I will never spend all that money to not be able to drive my car.

Thier are a lot of politics at shows which we could all have stories about but I remember speaking to the judge at a recent car show and he explained a lot to me about how political it is but that he and many of the judges appreciate a car more when its clean and done without sponsors cuz it shows more effort than haveing someone pay for your mods. He explained how it shows that the person really mapped and planned out the car with more time and carefulness cuz he's playing with his own money and not some comapnies.
Old 08-12-05, 09:41 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Who doesnt love free stuff? But when that free stuff interferes with your personal preference it becomes a problem. I have always tried to get sponsors who dont demand things from me, and just give me their parts and make me sign a contract saying I will attend this many shows and have this decal on for 1 year stuff like that. None of my sponsors have ever demanded that I only put on certain parts, just keep theirs on, if I didnt want their part I wouldnt take their sponsorship.
Old 08-12-05, 09:44 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bluelex
SoCalSC4- Your situation is much different and understandable, You can gain a lot by being able to sell your products and other quality products that sponsor the car. Its win win for you.

Onelove- I think CK6Speed hit it on the nose. When any show comes to If its inside I pay for double spots to display the car. When the show is outside in the "hot sun" I bring my own 10ft. x10ft. tent, fans and hook the power up to my truck. Like 6kspeed said their are a lot of people who take the whole show and points thing too far. I understand points very well but refuse to do certain things for them. I don't enter shows to win best of show. I aim more for "Best Lexus","Best Luxury", and "4 Door Mild" But I do enter for my own pleasure and for the love of showing my style, Competing is human nature once your in a show and you would like to win but I don't go home mad if I win or lose at a show. I've lost or have come in 2nd place to many cars that I probably shouldn't have but I don't go up to the judges and complain(I've seen this get ugly at shows " I don't take it home, I leave it at the show. Like 6kspeed said their cars at shows that are trailor queens that don't know what the reg. street looks like. You can't compete with that unless you do the same and I will never spend all that money to not be able to drive my car.

Thier are a lot of politics at shows which we could all have stories about but I remember speaking to the judge at a recent car show and he explained a lot to me about how political it is but that he and many of the judges appreciate a car more when its clean and done without sponsors cuz it shows more effort than haveing someone pay for your mods. He explained how it shows that the person really mapped and planned out the car with more time and carefulness cuz he's playing with his own money and not some comapnies.

Theres alot of politics, I know alota people that are judges or do alot work with different large shows. Its like this if a event like HIN has these sponsors IE toyo, ect they want a certain amount of toyo sponsored cars on the winning podium. thats just the way it is, the show wants to satify the sponsors and its all just a business.
Old 08-12-05, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
Theres alot of politics, I know alota people that are judges or do alot work with different large shows. Its like this if a event like HIN has these sponsors IE toyo, ect they want a certain amount of toyo sponsored cars on the winning podium. thats just the way it is, the show wants to satify the sponsors and its all just a business.
and politics and such are also why i find a lot of these car shows pretty stupid and meaningless. i don't really find those trophies much worth it... just me