Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car sponsorships.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 10:27 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sponsorships.....

What do you guys think about having sponsors? The one i am interested in is local. They only require me to attend 4 shows a year, they offer $12000 co-op, up to 55% on parts/labor cost. It is only a partial sponsorship. I am wondering if this a good idea. I don't mind the shows and what not, but they don't allow me to buy parts from outside companies without their permission, which i don't feel is good. Since i buy from Carson Toyota and a couple of other unlisted places on their sponsor sheet. Anyone have any advice before i sign or don't sign this contract.

John
Old 08-09-05, 10:33 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do they sell John ?
Old 08-09-05, 10:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JohnGS4
What do you guys think about having sponsors? The one i am interested in is local. They only require me to attend 4 shows a year, they offer $12000 co-op, up to 55% on parts/labor cost. It is only a partial sponsorship. I am wondering if this a good idea. I don't mind the shows and what not, but they don't allow me to buy parts from outside companies without their permission, which i don't feel is good. Since i buy from Carson Toyota and a couple of other unlisted places on their sponsor sheet. Anyone have any advice before i sign or don't sign this contract.

John
Well that is part of the sponsorship. Its like why would they give Lebron James a Nike contract and pay him millions, and not have a clause stating he can only wear Nike. Imagine you saw him with Reebok on.

I can understand where they r coming from and its up to you to decide is it worth it.

Old 08-09-05, 10:39 PM
LexFather

John, u signed up for lexfest right? www.lexfest.net

Old 08-09-05, 11:35 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

if you like being a kept person when it comes to modding and where your car needs to be then cool. That was the one thing that i disliked about that aspect of being sponsored. You have this obligation to go through them or someone that's approved just not my cup of tea. I was fortunate enough that i wasnt required to be at shows but since i'm an admin on another euro car site it proved to them to be a perfect mode for advertising. I was fairly active in that audi community so it served their purpose.

I still maintain a good relationship with some of the vendors that's spilling over to this car, so it's nice. A price break on tires is a price break especially when you're rolling on 20's etc and how often my wife and i switch wheels.

BTW I HATE AND LOATH car shows...i'd rather be a booth ***** than actually have to compete...that's just a PITA
Old 08-10-05, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
if you like being a kept person when it comes to modding and where your car needs to be then cool. That was the one thing that i disliked about that aspect of being sponsored. You have this obligation to go through them or someone that's approved just not my cup of tea. I was fortunate enough that i wasnt required to be at shows but since i'm an admin on another euro car site it proved to them to be a perfect mode for advertising. I was fairly active in that audi community so it served their purpose.

I still maintain a good relationship with some of the vendors that's spilling over to this car, so it's nice. A price break on tires is a price break especially when you're rolling on 20's etc and how often my wife and i switch wheels.

BTW I HATE AND LOATH car shows...i'd rather be a booth ***** than actually have to compete...that's just a PITA
i have to agree here on sponsorship. sometimes i think all the rules and stuff applied is just too much for me. personally i will not just get sponsorship only coz' i can get something cheap. i mod my car to personalize it, not to commercialize it and show it. so i don't really like to have much constraints. maybe i want this from you, and then this from them, etc.... i don't want to sell my free will.

so that's why my car isn't really sponsored by anyone. obligations sometimes can be ugly
Old 08-10-05, 01:56 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have quite few sponsors on my GS and I have never had a sponsor put limits on me with regard to anything. Just go to some shows (which I will do anyways) and have the name on the car. No requirements as to size or location of sticker.

Just goes to show that there are all types of sponsors.

Best of luck to you.

Ted
Old 08-10-05, 05:22 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a loaded question: If you accept product and the sponsor doesn't feel that you lived up to your end of the bargain, feelings will be hurt and they won't want to work with you again.

My situation is tricky bacause I work in the business and I am fairly visible- and you never know what a potential sponsor might want in return: A possible scenario: "hey Bob, it's John Doe over at So-and-So Performance. Remember that billet oil cap we gave you last summer? Well, now we have a project car we'd like you to sponsor a set of wheels for it..." A $5,000 set of wheels in exchange for a $40 oil cap- no can do!

Some people in the industry DO expect to get their backs scratched if they have scratched yours in the past. That's fine, but these situations should be based on the merit and marketing value of the individual project.

My approach is different: I have built cars in the past and have established a strong track record. I've worked with Boston Acoustics, MagnaFlow, TRD, GM, Nissan, H&R, StopTech, Wings West, Saleen, Ford, Pirelli, Toyo, Yokohama, Falken, Craig Lieberman, Neil Tjin and others on project cars, and all of these projects have enjoyed great publicity and notoriety- all vendors involved with the build benefitted from the exposure.

When word got out that I bought my GS, several industry folks/friends contacted me to see if they could help with the project. I never use the "f" (free) word- I would rather pay a reduced price for the product than risk getting it free and worrying about damaging a relationship or friendship.

At the end of the day, you must balance the needs of all parties. You want a hooked-up car. The potential sponsor is looking to gain exposure, to ultimately generate more sales and increase profits. If you can legitimately help them with this and are genuinely commited to doing so, more power to you!
Old 08-10-05, 06:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ted920
I have quite few sponsors on my GS and I have never had a sponsor put limits on me with regard to anything. Just go to some shows (which I will do anyways) and have the name on the car. No requirements as to size or location of sticker.

Just goes to show that there are all types of sponsors.

Best of luck to you.

Ted
hook me up with a sponsor?

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze

-Annant
Old 08-10-05, 10:06 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GTFM
what do they sell John ?
What do you mean? As far as what they offer, it's tons. But with MOST of the companies, they use don't apply to the GS because they don't make parts for it. But like some other have said, good prices on tires and such. I'm just really worried about the free will aspect of it. I do things my way because i like them my way. I do it for me, cuz it's my car. I don't want to lose that if i sign up with these guys. Like recently, i have purchased a couple of new things from CL and ebay. Which if i understand my contract correctly, i won't be able to do anymore.? If that's the case, then hell no i'm not signing it. If it means i can deal with local shops, then that's fine cuz i don't use them anyway. There are tons that i want to do, and they only offer a minimum amount. I'm really leaning more towards the not signing this and keep on pressing on my way. Granted, they might be able to hook me up on some things, but it's mostly the same 5 things, made by 10 different companies. Hope that makes since. Thanks for all your help fellas.

John
Old 08-10-05, 10:30 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

What's the name of the shop? I remember there was a place in Maryland that was basically running a scam telling people that they were being "sponsored" and would only have to pay half of what the item costs. In the end, the shop inflated the cost of the item and ended selling the item at a substantial profit. They also mandated that they install the item and charged ridiculous labor rates. I can't remember the exact name of the shop since it's been a while...
Old 08-10-05, 10:32 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

ahh...the name just came to me...the shop was called Racer X Motorsports...
Old 08-10-05, 10:39 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Their name is Sport Car Compact. They are out of Wilmington, DE. Funny that when you mentioned the name of the company you were speaking of, i know about them too.

John
Old 08-11-05, 02:09 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnGS4
Their name is Sport Car Compact. They are out of Wilmington, DE. Funny that when you mentioned the name of the company you were speaking of, i know about them too.

John
I think many of us heard of them We were looking into them a few years ago but thankfully we didn't sign up. My car club so far only has one full manufacturer sponsorship. Fortunately, they make a specific product (Tires) so modding the rest of our cars is totally up to us just as long as we use their tires. Not a big deal to us as we don't race and they are a well known mainstream brand so the tires are good. That aside, sometimes the pressure to do well at shows and represent your sponsor can get to you. You feel that you need to keep your car in tip top shape all the time. If you get into an accident, you feel pressure to fix it ASAP whether you have money or not. You can't miss any show that you are obligated to go to or risk your sponsorship. Usually if you develop a good relationship with your sponsor they will work with you in times of disaster (Accident, car stolen, or whatever), but the more they help you out the more pressure you sort of put on yourself to make them proud.

If you enjoy going to car shows and would do it anyway, it works out. If you like the products they sell and would use them anyway, it works out. In your case if they restrict what mods you can do, or what you to mod in their style only, it will just turn out to be a major PITA. It's like if you wanted to mod VIP style but they want you to do a drag car. You might end up with a bad A 10 second drag car but that really isn't what you wanted. I'd say if they put restrictions that you are not comfortable with or goes against your mod style than skip this particular sponsorship deal and look for something that fits your needs.
Old 08-11-05, 07:36 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate all of your help. I'm going to skip on this sponsor, and maybe go for something like what you have, a specific sponsor for a specific part. That way, i can get hooked up on something i will need, and not on a bunch of BS that i don't need or will never use. Y'all have been a great help. Thanks a ton.

John

Quick Reply: Car sponsorships.....