Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Jaguar S-Type: More than one way to skin a cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 04:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2008 Jaguar S-Type: More than one way to skin a cat(update)

2008 Jaguar S-Type: More than one way to skin a cat
JULIAN RENDELL
Posted Date: 8/10/05
The next-generation Jaguar S-Type will be heavily reengineered, featuring a lightweight aluminum body but not an all-aluminum chassis like the XJ sedan and new XK coupe.

Observers thought the next S-Type would be a short-chassis version of the XJ, partly to justify the company’s major investment in building aluminum chassis cars. But now, with just over two years to go until a late 2007 launch of the 2008 model, Jag has canned the switch to riveted aluminum for the S-Type.

Engineering mules spotted in the United Kingdom show a car similar to today’s S-Type in size and proportion, with some modifications to take on the popular four-door coupe styling similar to Mercedes’ CLS. Under the camouflage, we’re told the front end will mirror the R-D6 concept with its low-set “shield” grille and twin headlights.

The new S-Type marks a new strategy for Jaguar as it reinvents itself as a small-volume, luxury carmaker happy to make 100,000 cars a year, rather than its late-1990s plan to build 200,000 cars a year.

As a result, Jaguar will likely discontinue the X-Type sedan in 2008, with no replacement currently planned. Jag’s future lies in pushing its image up-market, a new strategy that replaces the sporty and youthful focus embodied in Jaguar’s abandoned Formula One effort. Jag’s three models will be stretched with high-priced performance XJR and super-performance XJR-R models competing with junior Bentleys.

If this plan works, Jaguar’s next move will be to roll the dice on niche models, like a junior sports car and a crossover.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102963

Last edited by magneto112; 10-17-05 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 04:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

That pertruding nose & grille doesn't look good at all
Old 08-10-05, 04:25 PM
Variance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think the current S-Type looked so bad (at least the S-Type R with the mesh grille in place of the waterfall-style one a blacked out tail and headlights).

But they ruined the rear for me in 2005 when they smoothed over the trunk lid and tail lights.

Old 08-10-05, 04:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

As some here know, I am a big fan of Jaguar designs. Very classy, mature, and well thought out designs. This model seems to add some more sport, what the current model doesnt contain(obviously except for the S-type R, which is a beast in its own way). Hopefully they go back to there roots of producing sporty yet luxurious cars. This new S-type might prove to be another great looker from the Jag crew.

Its also freaking great they are focusing on being a small limited edition type of company again. One thing Jaguar should have never gone away from.

Last edited by magneto112; 08-10-05 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I liked the 1999-2005 models....test-drove both the V6 and V8 versions and was impressed with them both, though I thought the V8 version was somewhat overpriced. C-L-A-S-S-Y interior and body style. Quality control, though, in the Jag tradition, while not as bad as the pre-Ford days, was definitely lacking.....( Consumer Reports bears this out ). One of the exterior door handles on a sample I looked at was so loose it almost fell right off.

While it is hard to base an opinion just off of one or two turntable pictures, this new one so far doesn't do anything for me at all. Unlike the last S-Type, the front end IMO looks more like an Alfa than a Jag. The rear fenders look like something the French would have done in the 1950's, and those low-profile rubber-band tires aren't going to help the ride any.
Old 10-17-05, 09:00 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Default Updated Info!!

Spy Shots: ’08 Jaguar S-Type
Could this be Jaguar’s last chance?

The Jaguar S-Type prototype caught here is destined to be one of the most important British cars ever developed, as the new Jaguar has to do what its forebears have failed to pull off: become a no-excuses global showroom hit. If the new S-Type family fails to make substantial inroads into the vital and highly lucrative executive car market, Jaguar could be drawn into a serious, perhaps irreversible, crisis.

This prototype was photographed near Jaguar's German engineering center, close to the Nürburgring circuit. This is what's known as a "cooling mule" - where the front of the new car is grafted onto the current model. Under the hood is a prototype setup of the new engine and cooling system.

Examining the pictures gives clues to the look of the car, which is rumored to be Jaguar's long-awaited break with traditional styling. The new hood is cut away sharply over the headlights, and the grille looks as if it will be cut further down into the front bumper. If these clues are anything to go by, the new S-Type will have a much more aggressive look than today's oddly retro machine. We also understand that the car will be the first Jag to adopt a modern nose-down, tail-up stance.

The new S-type should arrive in mid-to-late 2007, as a 2008 model, and an S-Type R is expected to follow about a year later.

We also hear rumors that the F-Type roadster could finally be launched, based on the S-Type's front-engine, rear-drive chassis. It's unlikely to appear before late 2007, though. This new-product push is believed to be the final throw of the dice for Jaguar, and Ford will be watching very closely.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A9466.html
Old 10-17-05, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Jags need to look beautiful. Sleek and powerful. The X-type did so much damage to the brand, I am not sure how long it will take to get back. The new XK seems very nice but it hasn't been a hit on any internet forums I am on. There is no "Buzz" about the car.

Sad, as they are one of the few companies making the cars stronger AND lighter. We are taking SIGNIFICANT weight reduction and they should be APPLAUDED for their effort.

Instead, the industry pushed more HP in peoples brains and people buy into it, no matter how bad the rest of the car is.

I would like to see Jag suceed. And I LOVE the fact they are going low volume and upmarket.

The current S-type, sorry but it does not warrent its price tag. There is no reason to buy that car over the German or Japanese competiton.

Old 10-17-05, 10:51 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a tad bit TOO round for my likes.
Old 10-17-05, 03:48 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's with everyone doing Alfa grills?