Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

PLEASE HELP.. 750 bucks TICKET in NYC!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 05:56 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sell the legend to pay for the ticket and a full year of insurance

as far as getting out of this ...I'm going to say no way

Its unfortunate and im sorry

did you fnd the letter that the Insurance company sent to you ?
Old 08-14-05, 06:02 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Geez bro that's a big hit!!! But isn't it up to you if you wanna cancel your insurance? Imagine if you were caught up in an accident!
Old 06-21-06, 07:26 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FINALLY, it's all said and done for. as for the problem of my insurance. it's finally done( after a year), went to court and show the judge all the paper works that i had, letter from insurance stating what happend with my insurnace and why it's cancel and how come i never got the notice(cuz i left college for the summer), letter from my bank that proves i changed the address, letter from school that proves when school ended, and also statments proving i'm a full time student. but what really helped me was that i pay for my Laps of insurance(300bucks before going to court)... i got off clean!!!!!

Old 06-21-06, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Congrats!
Old 06-21-06, 07:46 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You paid your insurance, so you were covered. You got lucky. It's your responsibility to ask for a renew bill if you don't receive one. You know when your insurance expires. Don't you pay for an agent to look out for your interests?

Bet you'll keep them advised as to your address in the future.

Now, about the tint ... Just another reason for you to be singled out. Get it legal.
Old 06-21-06, 08:02 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 422 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy

Now, about the tint ... Just another reason for you to be singled out. Get it legal.

that's never an option here in NY . The cops will pull you for it, but they usually won't write you a ticket.

Not to mention that legal tint = 71% or 74% something ridiculous. 20% looks so much better

Glad everything worked out man! them PO's be tryin' to catch us all ridin' dirty hahah. I've been pulled over 4 times in the last month, no tickets thankfully
Old 06-21-06, 12:09 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LB Lex
It sucks what your insurance company did. I thought insurance companies have to give you notice before they cancel your coverage. They can't cancel it without letting you know ahead of time. I know they do this in California.

Ask for a court date to fight the ticket that is a month or two from now and in the meantime get your insurance coverage figured out. If you can prove that you had valid coverage when you were ticketed, you might win your case if NY law states that you can have this type of ticket dismissed if you show proof. Some states give you a small fine for not having proof of valid insurance handy when a cop asks for it. I think the $750 fine is for not have any valid insurance at all.

In the state of NY, there is whats called a drivers responsibility assesment charge. I got 2 tickets within a 3 month period, and that charge was $375 one time, or $125 annualy for 3 years.

ANY tickets will cause this, in the state of NY, if you get more than 3 in an 18 month period for ANY reason, moving or non moving, they can suspend your liscence and or registration for up to 90 days the first time. And any accumulation of tickets totalling 6 points in a 1 year period will tack on a charge of $100 per offense per year. and then add $25 per offense per year for every point over 6 you go. I got 7 points in 3 months...71 in a 55: 4pts, $145. then i got 83 (reduced to a 60) in a 55: 3 points. $145 and the $100 per year/offense and $25 per year/extra point DRA Charge.

a no insurance ticket in NY can get your liscense pulled upon discovery that your coverage is non existant, it happened to a buddy of mine a few days ago, they suspended his liscense and registration, impounded his car and made him turn in his plates to the DMV upon finding out that he had no insurance coverage (he thought he did, similar situation to yours).

His costs will be well over $1500. And he isnt paying impound fees, his car is sitting in my backyard right now with no plates.

As for my tint, i have 5% on the rear and 20% in the front, I have been pulled over for speeding (as stated above, once for doing 88, got cited for 83 and reduced to a 60 in court) and have never been even asked about my window tint. I also go through a military post every day, multiple times per day and never get anything said to me. I have NY plates and NY registration.

But if anything does ever get said to me, "It was tinted in TX (where 20% is legal on the front) and I have the recipt to prove it rigth here" where i got that recipt, is for me to know...all i will say is i have a buddy in the business there.

I have a TX drivers liscense so i can get away with this. and dark tint is a nessecity especially in NYC if you dont want people knowing what you have.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 06-21-06 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 12:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeah, but you had to agonize over it for a YEAR.

Uhg.... I'd have rather paid it and been pissed for a few weeks than have that hang over my head for that long.
Old 06-21-06, 12:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What! 750! Did they ticket you for under inflated tires too? Good luck.
Old 06-21-06, 01:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Not reading the thread FTW
Old 06-21-06, 02:40 PM
Yoko
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats, good thing you got off clean
Old 06-29-06, 09:09 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
In the state of NY, there is whats called a drivers responsibility assesment charge. I got 2 tickets within a 3 month period, and that charge was $375 one time, or $125 annualy for 3 years.

ANY tickets will cause this, in the state of NY, if you get more than 3 in an 18 month period for ANY reason, moving or non moving, they can suspend your liscence and or registration for up to 90 days the first time. And any accumulation of tickets totalling 6 points in a 1 year period will tack on a charge of $100 per offense per year. and then add $25 per offense per year for every point over 6 you go. I got 7 points in 3 months...71 in a 55: 4pts, $145. then i got 83 (reduced to a 60) in a 55: 3 points. $145 and the $100 per year/offense and $25 per year/extra point DRA Charge.

a no insurance ticket in NY can get your liscense pulled upon discovery that your coverage is non existant, it happened to a buddy of mine a few days ago, they suspended his liscense and registration, impounded his car and made him turn in his plates to the DMV upon finding out that he had no insurance coverage (he thought he did, similar situation to yours).

His costs will be well over $1500. And he isnt paying impound fees, his car is sitting in my backyard right now with no plates.

As for my tint, i have 5% on the rear and 20% in the front, I have been pulled over for speeding (as stated above, once for doing 88, got cited for 83 and reduced to a 60 in court) and have never been even asked about my window tint. I also go through a military post every day, multiple times per day and never get anything said to me. I have NY plates and NY registration.

But if anything does ever get said to me, "It was tinted in TX (where 20% is legal on the front) and I have the recipt to prove it rigth here" where i got that recipt, is for me to know...all i will say is i have a buddy in the business there.

I have a TX drivers liscense so i can get away with this. and dark tint is a nessecity especially in NYC if you dont want people knowing what you have.

hey bro.. tell your buddy if he can,, he should pay for the laps of insurnce , they should let him off clean, like me.. i mean that's all i did and all went well.