Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

PLEASE HELP.. 750 bucks TICKET in NYC!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 06:04 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP.. 750 bucks TICKET in NYC!!

first of all. i'm the unluckiest guy in the world!!!!..
got pull over at a check point.. as usual they ask for the 3 things. lincense, regestration and insurnce.. while i gave him my license and regestration. and was looking for my insurance the cop said " o.k. you want me to give you a ticket for tint windows , whitch i know you're fail for, and it's 60bucks.. or a ticket for non proof of insurance, which i know you have". so i chose the insurance ticket, cuz i knew i had coverage...

today i went to get that ticket clear up.. the ladie at the DMV told me that my coverage was Cancel .. what the hell is that??.. i pay in full.. my insurance was suppost to expire on 8/10 and i got the ticket on 8/8. called my insurance company up. and they said the reason why my coverage was cancel cuz they found out that i had an accident a year ago and i needed to pay an extra 70bucks, which i known nothing about. and i came down to NYC from Upstate NY for the summer. so i didn't get any Mail or what so ever....

i asked the DMV ladie how much would it cost if i'm to be fine.. she said. if the jugde is nice he'll give me the lowest of 200bucks. but then i'll have to pay the DMV another 750bucks .. now wish i would of took that tint ticket.... i went to the police department to see if i can find the cop that gave me the ticket , to see if he can change it. but they wouldn't even let me see him..

CAN someone please please guide me on what i'm suppost to do.... they would have to take me to jail. no way can i come up with 950......
Old 08-10-05, 07:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

sounds like you are S>O>L.
Old 08-10-05, 07:40 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
sounds like you are S>O>L.
Sh!! outta Luck.... thanks bro. that's really encouraging
Old 08-10-05, 08:30 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks what your insurance company did. I thought insurance companies have to give you notice before they cancel your coverage. They can't cancel it without letting you know ahead of time. I know they do this in California.

Ask for a court date to fight the ticket that is a month or two from now and in the meantime get your insurance coverage figured out. If you can prove that you had valid coverage when you were ticketed, you might win your case if NY law states that you can have this type of ticket dismissed if you show proof. Some states give you a small fine for not having proof of valid insurance handy when a cop asks for it. I think the $750 fine is for not have any valid insurance at all.
Old 08-10-05, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
You have to get your insurance company to state that they raised your rate, didn't inform you, thus you didn't pay, thus u got canceled.
Since there is a better chance of the next TL being built in Japan, you would need a lawyer just to clear up that mess.
The cop can't change the ticket. Once its in the system, its too late, you have to go to court for it. Maybe you can talk to him and get him to not show or something.
Your other option is explain your situation to the court prosecuter, that helps sometimes, but YOU WILL NEED documentation of eveyrthing. They will not just go by what u say.

Old 08-10-05, 08:51 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH. That sucks. Hope you can get this resolved
Old 08-10-05, 09:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear that. you should talk to your insurance company and they are the one screwed you up!
Old 08-10-05, 09:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I'd say a lawyer is your only hope but you'll probably spend at LEAST $750 to resolve it. Sorry bud.
Old 08-10-05, 09:58 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

its going to cost you either way i know that they usually give 500 fines for no insurance and if a lawyer gets it cut down youll still pay him the diff
Old 08-10-05, 10:05 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LB Lex
It sucks what your insurance company did. I thought insurance companies have to give you notice before they cancel your coverage. They can't cancel it without letting you know ahead of time. I know they do this in California.

Ask for a court date to fight the ticket that is a month or two from now and in the meantime get your insurance coverage figured out. If you can prove that you had valid coverage when you were ticketed, you might win your case if NY law states that you can have this type of ticket dismissed if you show proof. Some states give you a small fine for not having proof of valid insurance handy when a cop asks for it. I think the $750 fine is for not have any valid insurance at all.
yeh dud. i called my insurance company up and they said they did send me notice and all that.. but to my College Address.. i came back down to New York City(5 hours away from my college) during May.. so there's NO WAY of me knowing. and yes i think when they cancel my insurance .. it does mean non valid insurance...

so here's My Question.. if i bring in my Recived that i have Pay in FULL of insurance(expire till 8/10, Ticketed on 8/8) . and show him my College Schedule which proof that school ended and i'm not there anymore. and no way i would of known that they jacked up the price on me cuz they found out i had an accident two years ago. would you guys think the Judge would pity me and dimiss it??
Old 08-11-05, 09:53 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

first of all. i'm the unluckiest guy in the world!!!!..
got pull over at a check point.. as usual they ask for the 3 things. lincense, regestration and insurnce.. while i gave him my license and regestration. and was looking for my insurance the cop said " o.k. you want me to give you a ticket for tint windows , whitch i know you're fail for, and it's 60bucks.. or a ticket for non proof of insurance, which i know you have". so i chose the insurance ticket, cuz i knew i had coverage...

today i went to get that ticket clear up.. the ladie at the DMV told me that my coverage was Cancel .. what the hell is that??.. i pay in full.. my insurance was suppost to expire on 8/10 and i got the ticket on 8/8. called my insurance company up. and they said the reason why my coverage was cancel cuz they found out that i had an accident a year ago and i needed to pay an extra 70bucks, which i known nothing about. and i came down to NYC from Upstate NY for the summer. so i didn't get any Mail or what so ever....

i asked the DMV ladie how much would it cost if i'm to be fine.. she said. if the jugde is nice he'll give me the lowest of 200bucks. but then i'll have to pay the DMV another 750bucks .. now wish i would of took that tint ticket.... i went to the police department to see if i can find the cop that gave me the ticket , to see if he can change it. but they wouldn't even let me see him..

CAN someone please please guide me on what i'm suppost to do.... they would have to take me to jail. no way can i come up with 950......
Get an attorney, I doubt officers are in place to CHOOSE what laws can and cannot be enforced. And you dont have to spend 750+ bucks for an attorney, court appointed lawyers can range from very affordable to free.

Show up for the hearing, pledge not guilty and ask for a court appointed attorney.

I had to deal with police BS, when I was charged with criminal trespassing for attempting to eat in a open restaurant... you figure that one out.

You also need to go to your college address and obtain such documentation.... and with that cancelation there should be a remaining balance check from the policy you paid in full, which ironically you could use to sort this mess out. Most judges when not dealing with criminals or actual criminal activities but actual misshaps in my experience tend to be very fair and reasonable.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by Inabj2; 08-11-05 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-11-05, 09:58 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you change your address with the insur company before you left school?

Mail FWD?
Old 08-11-05, 11:31 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jpa2400
Did you change your address with the insur company before you left school?

Mail FWD?
thanks for the advice Inabj2.. i'll try to keep this updated. but my court day is on 1/6/2006... freaking NYC man..

as for the Mail FWD.. i didn't do that when i left college. cuz my mom doesn't read or understand english.. and there shouldn't be any important mail send to me as i would of thought.. cuz like i said. i pay everything in FULL for insurance..
Old 08-13-05, 03:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Whadda ya want, a kiss on the cheek? I hate it when people get my hopes up and I get to court and everything falls through the roof. You're better going in there thinking all heck will break loose and something lesser and more refreshing happening.

Kinda like standing there with your girl waiting on the pink or blue line
Old 08-13-05, 10:26 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Stuck like Chuck... sorry bro...

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP.. 750 bucks TICKET in NYC!!