Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW still has no clue what US customer wants

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 06:23 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthach
I think Toyota needs to buy out the Volkswagen Group.

I personally have a soft spot for VWs, I would consider getting a MKIV Golf if something happened to my LS400...
That's just the switchblade key doing the talking
Old 08-13-05, 06:25 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Never mind the Phaeton........perhaps VW's best marketing point, if they would just stress it more...... is that they are currently the ONLY manufacturer in the American market that offers a significant line of passenger-car diesels. Though they are not available in all 50 states, where they ARE available, they offer hybrid-style mileage WITHOUT hybrid-style complexity or heavy battery packs. Diesels are low-polluting in CO and NOX, but have significant solid-particule emisions.....in other words, " soot " . However, as has been noted here on CL so many times, that could change with next year's EPA-mandated clean, low-sulfur diesel fuel here in the U.S. and with the new urea-injection systems diesel enginers are working on.
In the Bay Area, all our newer buses are equipped with a device called a Cleaire Longview, which is a diesel oxidation cat with aftertreatment, it works by injecting more diesel fuel before the cat to burn up PM matter, while the cat takes care of NOx and residual PM emissions. Check it out, it's pretty cool how it works:

http://www.cleaire.com/site/products/al.html
Old 08-13-05, 06:26 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
That's just the switchblade key doing the talking
Granted, the Lexus will trounce the VW in reliablity, but the VW is more fun to drive. My LS400 sometimes feels like a boat, but it's way better than the Mercedes 420SEL i had, talk about heavy and numb...
Old 08-14-05, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
In the Bay Area, all our newer buses are equipped with a device called a Cleaire Longview, which is a diesel oxidation cat with aftertreatment, it works by injecting more diesel fuel before the cat to burn up PM matter, while the cat takes care of NOx and residual PM emissions. Check it out, it's pretty cool how it works:

http://www.cleaire.com/site/products/al.html
Thanks...that is an interesting device. It can only help the emerging diesel market here.
Old 08-14-05, 08:32 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks...that is an interesting device. It can only help the emerging diesel market here.
and here's an estimate by one Bay Area user:

http://www.actransit.org/environment...g_emissions.wu