Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Boxster S + PCH's Canyons = Bliss!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 11:29 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche Boxster S + PCH's Canyons = Bliss!

Fresh off a trip to Southern California, where I was fortunate enough to find a great rental rate on a Porsche Boxster S thru my travel agent, I am still daydreaming about my runs through the Coastal Highway canyons in the Porsche.

After experiencing Pacific Coast Highway's gorgeous scenery (especially as the sun sets), and shrieking through the canyons over into Thousand Oaks, I have such a new respect for Southern California, and the Porsche Boxster S.

The roads were amazing, very little traffic, very sharp turns, many of them hairpin turns, and picturesque views of the pacific and inner canyons throughout. And no cops, no pedestrians, no bikers, no hikers...just you, the road, the rocks, the sun, the hills, the dips...and the car. I was so giddy, I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. Loved every second of it, my own personal roller coaster ride in a hec of a car: The Porsche Boxster S.

I have always liked the way the Porsche handled, but it simply shines in the canyons. Brakes that stop on a dime, 2nd gear acceleration that is very quick, responsive pedals, and cat-like reflexes from the steering wheel, as well as a great view over the hood...it all equates to blindingly-fast, confident driving over roads so curvaceous, I rarely got out of second gear.

Sure in regular driving, the car is pretty loud, and rattles quite a bit (especially with top up). And the interior is a little downmarket for a $50,000 car. The doors even feel a little flimsy. I'm sure part of it is a product of being a rental (though my car only had 1500 miles on it!). But still, the car seemed a little cheap for a Porsche.

But all is forgotten once you drop the top and head for the hills, trust me.

I want to own a 911 Turbo one day. But my week with the Porsche Boxster rental at least cures my 911 longing for a while longer.

And a great way to beat the hec out of any car is when it's a rental. 'Cause if you break it, you just turn it in and say, "Your car needs service. Can I have another?" Can't beat that. I tried my best to break that Porsche too...riding around at 6,000 rpm, panic stops, crazy downshifts with the tiptronic. I tried for a week to break that car. The Porsche just took it, and begged for more. It was a one-week love affair I'll never forget.

For anyone that lives in Southern Cali, you are blessed indeed. If you don't already own a highend sports car, and if you love driving...do yourself a favor and rent a Porsche, Corvette or Ferrarri, even if it's only for a day or two and spend 6-7 hours driving the PCH and driving through the canyons...and it will certainly be the best 24-48 hours of driving you will ever have.

Race-track driving is fun, but canyon driving is spectacular.

I'm already looking forward to my next trip to the area.

I'm driving across country next year (from MD, fingers crossed), in my Lexus GS430, hopefully fulfilling my dream of seeing the country for 3 months. I look forward to ringing my Lexus out over those same canyon roads. But my big Lex, even with modded suspension and modded engine, it won't dance with me like that Porsche did. It's just not built for that.

And of course, the Lexus is MINE...so I wont be able to bring myself to having such rough, dangerous sex with the one I love. That kind of sex is often better when it's with your mistress, not your wife.
Old 08-11-05, 12:28 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGS
That kind of sex is often better when it's with your mistress, not your wife.
Ha ha...I'll need to try that some time.

Seriously, how much did you pay for the rental? Mind to give us some more details (store, location)? Thanks.
Old 08-11-05, 01:37 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Great writeup!!
Sounds like you had a great time
Old 08-11-05, 01:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Kevin - sounds like an awesome drive - congrats! I will own either a Boxster S or 911 S or 4S at some point I think.

You said the interior was a little downmarket - which year was the one you had, was it the latest model? That interior looks similar to the 997 and isn't cheap looking like the prior Boxster interior.
Old 08-11-05, 01:58 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

From my own experience, it depends on the location(market potential) of the dealership. Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and Santa Barbara would offer nicer equipped cars than say..., Alhambra.
Old 08-11-05, 03:49 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the car from Midway Rental Cars, at the Radisson, at LAX. They have all kinds of high end cars, luxury sedans, and luxury SUVs. I think the website is midwaycarrental.com

I paid $110/day, but in the end I paid $660 for the weekly rate, plus taxes and I got optional insurance too. Total bill for the week was $910.95. Not cheap. Worth every penny for me though.

Had way more fun in the Porsche than in the Sebring convertible I had booked.

Bit, I am pretty sure it was a 2006 Boxster S, with Tiptronic. The interior was OK, but left me a little cold. I don't know, Lexus has probably just spoiled me rotten.

And lots of road noise, especially with top up. As a daily driver in Southern Cal, I am sure it is fine...as you could drop the top 80% of the time. In Maryland, no way. Too much racket.

I'd probably rather have the new hardtop Porsche Cayman in Maryland, and forego the convertible altogether.
Old 08-11-05, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Damn, great write-up!

Old 08-11-05, 07:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
That kind of sex is often better when it's with your mistress, not your wife.
Hmmmmmmmmm, I knew I picked a dead one. I expected more.