Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

We're headed for $3 a gallon SOON($3 is NOW 8/31/05, crap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 06:26 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well thank god most of us have cars that get decent gas milage or we all would be screwed.. As far as gas prices maybe if they increased our wages we would all be ok... How can prices continue to increase and we get paid the same? It just doesn't make any sense... Also i heard last night that FPL our electric company in FL is talking about raising it rates... It seems like its never going to end... Just thought i would add my .02...

Tony
Old 08-12-05, 06:27 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
im 17. I have no income. allowance allows only so much gas. GS430 = V8 = - $allowance.

hopefully things will turn.

Time to get a job hmm?
Old 08-12-05, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jpa2400
Well I never thought I would care but for some reason as of late I do. I am the guy who runs the tank down to fumes
I know is a little off the thread topic....but this is important: DON'T do this with a fuel-injected car. Besides the obvious possibility of running out of gas, it can screw things up several ways. A very low tank level can unport the fuel-line pickup hole and cause engine stalling......with loss of power steering and brakes.....as the car corners and the gas level shifts. Dirt and impurities in the bottom of the tank can also get sucked into the hole and block fuel lines. Some fuel pumps are actually inside the gas tank and will not pump fuel if the level gets very low. In cold and / or humid weather, water and ice crystals can form in the gas if the fuel level is low...the air inside the tank allows moisture to condense. A full tank, of course, prevents this.

A good rule of thumb in a fuel-injected car is to keep the tank at least 1/4 to 1/2 full...don't let it drop below this.
Old 08-12-05, 08:06 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I know is a little off the thread topic....but this is important: DON'T do this with a fuel-injected car. Besides the obvious possibility of running out of gas, it can screw things up several ways. A very low tank level can unport the fuel-line pickup hole and cause engine stalling......with loss of power steering and brakes.....as the car corners and the gas level shifts. Dirt and impurities in the bottom of the tank can also get sucked into the hole and block fuel lines. Some fuel pumps are actually inside the gas tank and will not pump fuel if the level gets very low. In cold and / or humid weather, water and ice crystals can form in the gas if the fuel level is low...the air inside the tank allows moisture to condense. A full tank, of course, prevents this.

A good rule of thumb in a fuel-injected car is to keep the tank at least 1/4 to 1/2 full...don't let it drop below this.

Grin. I waiting to see how long it would take you to write this Quciker then I thought.

I do know it's really bad, but it's also a really bad habit.

But in many many years, nothing bad has happened yet

Been trying to break this habit but it's tough.
Old 08-12-05, 08:48 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

there is a shell near here that is 3.19/gal and ive seen more expensive in san francisco
Old 08-12-05, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpa2400
Grin. I waiting to see how long it would take you to write this Quicker then I thought.

Been trying to break this habit but it's tough.
Well...I'll help you a little bit.
First, make sure you have either plenty of cash in your wallet, a good credit card, or other legitimate means of payment.
Hold the nozzle pointing UP as much as possible when you place it next to your car...this will prevent gas from spilling on your car. Turn it down slowly and rotate it as you place it in the filler pipe....this will keep any gas off the paint.
Fill the pipe at slow-to-medium speed ( NOT fast ) until you get a " click " sound and the handle drops out of your fingers...this will be at the automatic cutoff. Don't try and put much more in to get an even figure...maybe a few cents at most.
Remove the nozzle out by slowly rotating it UP as you take it out...again, this will keep the paint clean by preventing runoff. Hang it back up and pay.
Now....PRESTO......... .....you've actually got a FULL tank. Now....was THAT so hard?
Old 08-12-05, 09:58 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Why fill the tank at slow to medum speed?

Prevent overflow?
Old 08-12-05, 10:27 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well...I'll help you a little bit.
First, make sure you have either plenty of cash in your wallet, a good credit card, or other legitimate means of payment.
Hold the nozzle pointing UP as much as possible when you place it next to your car...this will prevent gas from spilling on your car. Turn it down slowly and rotate it as you place it in the filler pipe....this will keep any gas off the paint.
Fill the pipe at slow-to-medium speed ( NOT fast ) until you get a " click " sound and the handle drops out of your fingers...this will be at the automatic cutoff. Don't try and put much more in to get an even figure...maybe a few cents at most.
Remove the nozzle out by slowly rotating it UP as you take it out...again, this will keep the paint clean by preventing runoff. Hang it back up and pay.
Now....PRESTO......... .....you've actually got a FULL tank. Now....was THAT so hard?

Grin. More a matter of time and knowing I driven prob 200k on lexus cars with no issues so I keep doing it
Old 08-12-05, 11:27 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually have to fill up once a week. With gas prices rising ($3.05 for 91 in San Diego), the 450H is starting to look more attractive.
Old 08-12-05, 11:34 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I usually have to fill up once a week. With gas prices rising ($3.05 for 91 in San Diego), the 450H is starting to look more attractive.
but you still have to wait until spring if you want the 450h.
Old 08-12-05, 01:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

-Yeah man, it can go to 3 bucks if it wants to(but its still going to really suck). Next month, I'll be back at school and te car will be parked for the majority of the time. I usually average around 9K miles a year, mosly during the summer months driving to the Newark Penn Station for work. But enough is enough and I'm tired of paying 35-40 bucks to fill up my damn tank. Just last month Jersey prices was 2.09 for Super, now I'm paying 2.65. The gas jump hit us real hard. One day I fill up my tank at 2.11 and the next day I fill up my moms car at the same station for 2.23. OUT OF CONTROL.

So usually the best thing for people to do is to take public transportation, but now they are raising prices. So not only is OPEC and other oil companies f-ing me, public transportation authorities are getting in on the butt plugging. The NY MTA this year made over 800 million...800 MILLION Dollars in profit and you know what they wnat to do next year?? PRICE HIKE!! For what?? Thats the biggest profit the MTA made in history. And basically the same thing for Philly transportation(Septa), price hike, nad a massive reduction of running trains and buses.

If people trade in their gas guzzling SUV's for more fuel effiecient cars I really dont see how that would help lower prices. Yes each car will consumer less fuel, but that will also mean that everyone will be driving a lot more. Which in turn wont make a damn difference. There was a story in the NY Post 2-3 days ago that said people are travelling a lot more this year than they did last year. And people are consuming about 10% more gas than they did last year. Nothing will stop a majority of people from driving long distances, vacations, and gas guzzling trucks. People will learn how to cope with the higher prices and go on with everyday life like nothing happened. And its sad, so very sad.
Old 08-12-05, 03:51 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs down

It's already over $4.00 a gallon here & climbing!
Old 08-12-05, 04:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't see a short term solution other then convincing OPEC countries to lower their prices but with ANWAR drilling, building more oil refineries, more nuclear powerplants, and alternative sources of energy the prices may dip in the future. I believe Bush just put a energy bill in to improve and build more plants and rely less on foreign oil. Instead of performance tuning companies may start to come out with products to tune cars for better gas mileage. Someone said they get better gas mileage with a cold air intake but I figured the gas mileage would get worse because it is producing more power. Anybody know of mpg enhancers other then driving with your windows up, keeping tires inflated, keeping oil and filter changes constant, trying to find longer stretches of highway that require less braking and accelerating.
Old 08-12-05, 04:29 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For some reason locally everyone has gotten rid of 93 octane and we are now maxxing at 91

Anyone know why this might be?

Jonny
Old 08-12-05, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Why fill the tank at slow to medum speed?

Prevent overflow?
Yes. Some vehicles....depending on the exact design of the filler pipe and vaccum canister / recovery system....will let gas back up and shoot back out if you try to cram it in too fast....especially at or after the automatic cutoff. This is one reason why it is so dangerous to smoke around the pumps. But be careful the other way, too....TOO slow will not let the automatic cutoff work normally.
Also, if you have a car....like some of the older Honda Accords with Michelin tires...that tends to let static build up in cold, dry weather when you sit on the cloth upholstry, DO NOT get right out of the car and immediately grab a gas pump....a spark, even a very small static-induced one, can be very dangerous. Touch a metal part of the car first to release the discharge and THEN grab the pump.

Quick Reply: We're headed for $3 a gallon SOON($3 is NOW 8/31/05, crap)