Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

We're headed for $3 a gallon SOON($3 is NOW 8/31/05, crap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
For some reason locally everyone has gotten rid of 93 octane and we are now maxxing at 91

Anyone know why this might be?

Jonny
It's probably the same gas.....there is more than one system of measuring octane.

I know we got a little off topic on some of the posts here, but these IMO are some important points.

We are approaching $3.00 a gallon ( $2.94) for 93-octane now in my home town ( Vienna, VA ) in the DC area. 87 octane is over $2.70. This is a record my neighborhood...which means that it is easily over $3.00 in some places right across the river in DC and MD...which traditionally have higher gas taxes.

But.......come on, guys, truthfully ........are ANY of you really surprised? We've been talking about this for months and months at CL. We knew it was coming. I've said for months we would be well over $3.00 nationwide by the middle of 2006. California, for several reasons, will likely be even higher. Now.......I don't WANT it or enjoy it any more than the rest of you..... ( I have to pay for it out of my own pocket too)........ but it is inevitable to some extent with exploding world demand and limited resources.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-05 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-12-05, 09:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I was a wee kiddie in the 70's so the OPEC crunch was of little concren. What has me is that this has loomed for decades and yet the reliance on imported fossil fuels remians. This is a hard spot to be in knowing how this country relies on fossil fuels. We are seeing a slow change but it needs to be picked up and run with.

The use of these fuels for our cars isn't likely to change. Seeing the little boxes motoring around in Japan, I understood darn well why. While I enjoy driving this car, my image isn't dictated by it. If gas maintains this climb, I'll consider driving an econo box and using the funds toward other pursuits.

However, if the upcoming LS hybrid delivers a modest level... (Being wishy-washy.) This leads to the unwillingss of the American buyer...which I too suffer.
Old 08-12-05, 10:02 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im dreading going to 7-11 on the corner tomorrow... $2.59...

But its still better than Hawaii!!!!
Old 08-12-05, 11:03 PM
Pops330
Driver School Candidate

yup paid $3.02 today for 89 octane, 92 is $3.12
Old 08-13-05, 01:02 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

No change so far. But I really want to use the gas as an excuse to replace the Acura CL with the new Mazda MX-5. But may be next year.
Old 08-13-05, 01:06 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i just filled up with 3.07
Old 08-13-05, 05:48 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gas is still cheap!!!!

I'm paying more than double your prices
Old 08-13-05, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richie
Your gas is still cheap!!!!

I'm paying more than double your prices
True, Richie.....but consider.....in Holland, you're not paying most of that ultra-high price for just GAS. You're ACTUALLY paying it to support the bureaucrats in Amsterdam.

Same as in most of the rest of Europe.
Old 08-13-05, 01:01 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Just went to the 7-11 and filled up... went up to $2.69. .10 cents in 24 hours... ridiculous.
Old 08-14-05, 01:15 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
How do you guys feel about it? Will it affect how much you drive? What you drive?

Me - no changes...
damn... we were at 2.41 for premium just 4 days ago
now its 2.71 and thats IF it doesnt go up again tomorrow. Everyday I drove by the gas station it had risen 10 cents... this is RIDICULOUS!!! WTF IS GOIN ON?!?
Old 08-14-05, 03:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, Richie.....but consider.....in Holland, you're not paying most of that ultra-high price for just GAS. You're ACTUALLY paying it to support the bureaucrats in Amsterdam.

Same as in most of the rest of Europe.
Dude, the bureaucrats are in The Hague
But yeah, the rest is spot on!!!
Old 08-14-05, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richie
Dude, the bureaucrats are in The Hague
But yeah, the rest is spot on!!!
OK, you partially got me on that one...I wasn't sure just what city in Holland is the official government capital now...it has changed since I was a kid.

Anyhow, the gist of the point......Europe taxes fuel like a S.O.B. I hope that at least the roads there are smoother and better-maintained there than here as a result. Some of the roads and bridges here in the U.S. are awful....particularly in Northeastern cities and the Great Lakes snow belt.

There are some clues and indications that that is the case. Euro-spec cars often come with stiffer suspensions and tires than U.S. spec cars do.....presumably because of smoother roads there that allow use of stiffer components without an unduly harsh ride or impact damage?
Old 08-14-05, 03:36 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, you partially got me on that one...I wasn't sure just what city in Holland is the official government capital now...it has changed since I was a kid.

Anyhow, the gist of the point......Europe taxes fuel like a S.O.B. I hope that at least the roads there are smoother and better-maintained there than here as a result. Some of the roads and bridges here in the U.S. are awful....particularly in Northeastern cities and the Great Lakes snow belt.

There are some clues and indications that that is the case. Euro-spec cars often come with stiffer suspensions and tires than U.S. spec cars do.....presumably because of smoother roads there that allow use of stiffer components without an unduly harsh ride or impact damage?
Most of the money the government makes on the tax on gas and cars does not flow back to the mainainance of the road network and other services for drivers.
Most of the money is spend elsewhere.
The condition of the roads has gotten worse in the last couple of years. Mainainance has been postponed and new roads are not being built.
I don't know if this is the case all over Europe, but it is here in Holland and I think we have the highest gas prices in Europe now.
Old 08-14-05, 05:21 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
17 with a GS430 and all those mods? Cry me a river.

lol thats awesome. i'm 21 with a GS400, thats more reasonable hehe...anyways, gas is currently at around $2.88 for premium in the chicago burbs...
Old 08-14-05, 06:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I usually have to fill up once a week. With gas prices rising ($3.05 for 91 in San Diego), the 450H is starting to look more attractive.
So you'll spend a few thousand more to save a few hundred a year?

Quick Reply: We're headed for $3 a gallon SOON($3 is NOW 8/31/05, crap)