Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

We're headed for $3 a gallon SOON($3 is NOW 8/31/05, crap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 07:15 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living only a couple of miles from where I work...I'm searching for a Trek mountain bike as we speak. I've been wanting to get one for a while but the $3+ a gallon has finally forced my hand.
Old 08-14-05, 07:21 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 299 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So you'll spend a few thousand more to save a few hundred a year?
Enough years and it will add up

Doesn't seem like this Oil Crisis is going to get better during this Bush Administration.
Old 08-14-05, 07:58 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Enough years and it will add up

Doesn't seem like this Oil Crisis is going to get better during this Bush Administration.
now boy, don't go turning this thread into an anti-bush thread. i like ya, keep it that way.
Old 08-15-05, 03:19 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default anyone else see this?

WOW!

From Yahoo
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hybrid_ti...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Gremban, an electrical engineer and committed environmentalist, spent several months and $3,000 tinkering with his car.

looks like a typical Toyota Prius hybrid, but in the trunk sits an 80-miles-per-gallon secret — a stack of 18 brick-sized batteries that boosts the car's high mileage with an extra electrical charge so it can burn even less fuel.

He's part of a small but growing movement. "Plug-in" hybrids aren't yet cost-efficient, but some of the dozen known experimental models have gotten up to 250 mpg.
Old 08-15-05, 08:41 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 299 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by adidosc
now boy, don't go turning this thread into an anti-bush thread. i like ya, keep it that way.
lol I didn't mean it like that, I'm just saying that it really doesn't seem like there is any kind of solution in the near future (i.e. before the end of this administration) to the problem of decreasing oil supply and increasing oil prices. For all we know, there may not even be a solution by the end of the next administration.
Old 08-15-05, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Gas has tripled in price since 2000.

Think about that.

Old 08-15-05, 10:14 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just two years ago. i was ordering MEALS(frys, burger and drink)from McD's.. now i'm looking at the dollar menu.. whenever gas go's up.. everything else follows. with the rate it's going .. i'll eighter need to rob a bank or win the lotto.. by next year. it'll cost more than MILK!!!.
Old 08-15-05, 10:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
just two years ago. i was ordering MEALS(frys, burger and drink)from McD's.. now i'm looking at the dollar menu.. whenever gas go's up.. everything else follows. with the rate it's going .. i'll eighter need to rob a bank or win the lotto.. by next year. it'll cost more than MILK!!!.
No kidding, I rarely eat Micky Ds when I went last week, I was SHOCKED at the prices.

Old 08-16-05, 02:07 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

yup.. prices are goin up everywhere! last night.. i "ran for the border " to get my usual zesty chicken bowl meal for 5.00. only to find out that it went up 39cents! Today, I went to Subway to get a footlong sub and a deli sandwich which usually cost me less than 10.00. now it is up to 10.59. I know it's just cents... but. whoa... I really hope that we can get raises in order to offset this.

OH wait... I did just get a raise.. hehe...
Old 08-16-05, 03:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Gas has tripled in price since 2000.

Think about that.
Doesn't really take a whole lot of thinking....the answer is obvious. Yes it has almost, not quite tripled......mainly because of limited world oil resources and exploding demand in China and India with their huge populations and the improving American economy.
One thing that makes the situation here at home even worse is that we have not built a new oil refinery in the last 15 years....mainly because of this "not in my back yard" stuff. We are now paying the price for that nonsense. Even if we HAD more crude we couldn't process enough of it into gasoline right now to meet demand. Ever-inceasing EPA emissions rules also increases the price of refining it even more.
Old 08-16-05, 09:29 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Kinda curious...how many of you commute more than 40 miles one way to your work place?
Old 08-16-05, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Kinda curious...how many of you commute more than 40 miles one way to your work place?
Might want to start a separate poll for this, maybe with 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc. options.

I commute about 10 feet from my bedroom to my study.
Old 08-16-05, 09:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doesn't really take a whole lot of thinking....the answer is obvious. Yes it has almost, not quite tripled......mainly because of limited world oil resources and exploding demand in China and India with their huge populations and the improving American economy.
One thing that makes the situation here at home even worse is that we have not built a new oil refinery in the last 15 years....mainly because of this "not in my back yard" stuff. We are now paying the price for that nonsense. Even if we HAD more crude we couldn't process enough of it into gasoline right now to meet demand. Ever-inceasing EPA emissions rules also increases the price of refining it even more.
You are absolutely right. The lack of a coherent energy policy is a national security problem! We need more nuclear power, more drilling, and even great tax breaks for hybrids and alternative energy use. I might use more solar at home if it wasn't so damned expensive!
Old 08-16-05, 11:12 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

i didn't look back at this thread after my post but i see people have been wondering why i don't work... so i'll answer that...

i worked up until junior year. Then the parents wanted me to stop working and pay more attention on school work. I used to work 5 days a week and had no need for an allowance.

Come junior year and i started doing more school and outside school activities like my parents wanted me to do and i was put back on allowance since I had no more income.

The money that I had made prior to junior year was mainly to pay for the car, or at least half of it. I've already shared this story before, but the parents wanted me to save the money that I had made for other things or incase of emergency when in college so that money is sitting in a bank account and I don't use it.

so until i finish highschool, my income is fixed on the allowance so that i don't have to work and i can pay more attention on my school work and school activities.

and the current gas prices kill that allowance. But I don't drive my GS to school. I drive our pathfinder because I go to school in the city. It's only in the summer that I wrote that because I do drive the GS around and the V8 eats gas.

hope that cleared some things up.
Old 08-16-05, 01:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

South of the border, gas is like $2.80 USD equivalent per gallon. Might be lower or cheaper than where you are in the states, but the quality is the s.. down here. We need to use so many additives to keep our cars running like they do in the states. Be thankful.

Quick Reply: We're headed for $3 a gallon SOON($3 is NOW 8/31/05, crap)