Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mitsubishi Concept Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 07:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Mitsubishi Concept Sportback

Text & Photo courtesy Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
08-11-2005

Following on from sketches released on 8th July, Mitsubishi Motors has now released the first image of its latest concept car, the Concept-Sportback. Set to make its world debut at Frankfurt Motor Show in September, the Mitsubishi Concept-Sportback gives the first indications of the company's vision for its next generation of C-segment cars and debuts its design inspiration for a new European 5-door sports hatchback.

Mitsubishi Motors will hold its press conference at 15h30 on Monday, September 12th

source : japanesecarfans
Old 08-11-05, 07:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Text & photos courtesy Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
07-08-2005

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation and its European unit Mitsubishi Motors Europe B.V. will be exhibiting a number of exciting concept and production models at the 61st Internationale Automobil Ausstellung (IAA; commonly known as the Frankfurt Motor Show) in Frankfurt in September. Exhibit highlights will include the world premiere of the MITSUBISHI Concept-Sportback, a next-generation sports hatchback concept. Also on display on the Mitsubishi Motors stand will be the European version of the Lancer Evolution IX high-performance 4WD sports sedan that has its European launch in the fourth quarter of this year, and the Pajero Evolution model that took part in the 2005 Dakar Rally. Held at the Frankfurt Messe Complex, the 2005 Frankfurt Motor Show will be open to the public from September 15 through 25, with press and media pre-viewing on September 12 to 14. Mitsubishi Motors will hold its press briefing at its stand at 3:30pm on Monday September 12.

The Mitsubishi Concept-Sportback gives the first indications of the company’s vision for its next generation of C-segment cars and debuts its design inspiration for a new European 5-door sports hatchback. Mitsubishi Motors’ future design direction is readily apparent in the concept’s exterior which features a sporty wedge-like profile, sharply chiselled lines, an assertive stance born from long wheelbase / wide track proportions and a very expressive high-shouldered rear end. The Mitsubishi Concept-Sportback also debuts a brand new Mitsubishi Motors-developed platform. Of strategic importance, this platform is flexible enough to accommodate a wide range of derivatives and, as a result, will spawn a range of new models over the next three years from SUVs to family hatchbacks.

Also taking a prominent place on the display stand will be the Lancer Evolution IX that is due to appear in European showrooms during the fourth quarter of this year. The European version of the model that went on sale in Japan in March this year, Lancer Evolution IX is a high-performance 4WD sports sedan that features the critically acclaimed 2-liter MIVEC*1 engine with turbocharger/intercooler and Mitsubishi's ACD*2+Super AYC*3+Sports ABS*4 electronically controlled all-wheel control system.

Sales of Mitsubishi brand cars on the European market for the January-June period showed a robust year-on-year increase of 22%, standing at 137,088 units. Notable performers include Russia (+103% at 24,726 units), supported by the success of the 4-door Lancer that took segment honors in the Russian Car of the Year. Second was Germany (23,363 sales, or 43% increase compared to the previous year), boosted by the launch of the Colt CZ3 and Colt CZT 3-door compact models during the period. Third largest European market for Mitsubishi Motors was the United Kingdom (21,618 units or + 18%), with L200 remaining market leader.

Mitsubishi Motors will be continuing its fiscal 2005 model drive with the introduction of a diesel-powered Grandis and a new Colt coupe-cabriolet.
Old 08-11-05, 08:05 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like a really big fish with it's mouth open. hahahaha

if it wasn't for the open-mouthed front, it wouldn't look so bad. bulky sportscar... not too shabby but i probably wouldn't go for it.
Old 08-11-05, 08:25 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

it's a step forward in the right direction. their current car designs are atrocious...that galant is so hideous
Old 08-11-05, 08:43 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by foofighter
it's a step forward in the right direction. their current car designs are atrocious...that galant is so hideous
Yes. This looks good. ALPHA lines to me in the side. This looks good. Though most concept pics do.

WHY DO ALL THESE DESIGNERS THROW THESE HUGE GAPING SUV GRILLS ON CARS!?!?!!

My goodness.

Old 08-11-05, 09:01 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I think it looks bad ***. But the fact that it's a Mitsu gives it about a 15% chance of purchase for me. If it's FWD, subtract 15% from that.
Old 08-12-05, 04:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Not bad. One of the best-looking Mitsubishi designs I've seen for some time, although they could have done without the Audi b - - w job grille.

This just gives me more reason to think Mitsubishi might outlast Isuzu here in the American market......Mike ( 1SICKLEX) and I have posted on that subject many times.
Old 08-12-05, 08:28 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spy pic below. Looks much worse than the concept drawing as usual.
Old 08-22-05, 06:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Old 08-22-05, 06:59 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I like it. It has a radical look to it, unlike the current look Mitsu has going.
Old 08-22-05, 11:20 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

those taillights seems to be popular amongst new designs. the a4,civic, and now this. im pretty sure theres more i didnt mention.
Old 08-22-05, 11:46 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Doesn't Mitsubishi almost go out of business every year?
Old 08-22-05, 12:11 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
Doesn't Mitsubishi almost go out of business every year?
That's what I was thinking... maybe these concept vehicles we see designs and renderings of are overseas only?
Old 08-22-05, 12:50 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmethySC

Text & Photo courtesy Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
08-11-2005

Following on from sketches released on 8th July, Mitsubishi Motors has now released the first image of its latest concept car, the Concept-Sportback. Set to make its world debut at Frankfurt Motor Show in September, the Mitsubishi Concept-Sportback gives the first indications of the company's vision for its next generation of C-segment cars and debuts its design inspiration for a new European 5-door sports hatchback.

Mitsubishi Motors will hold its press conference at 15h30 on Monday, September 12th

source : japanesecarfans
Reminds me of the new Charger except 5 door. It has that snout-foward look.
Old 08-22-05, 01:08 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Clean up that front end a bit and it'll be awesome.

I'm guessing it'll probably use the 3.8L V6 in the Galant and Eclipse. Price it around 24K for 2WD and 28K for loaded AWD. This undercuts AWD SL Muranos at 28K. Should be a hit.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Concept Sportback