Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

We win we win! Lexus tops the charts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 05:31 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Variance
I'd imagine for the same reason Lexus is above Toyota, Lincoln is above Ford, etc: Higher attention to quality.
I know, but Toyota and Lexus are separated by 6, Ford and Lincoln are separated by 9, Nissan and Infiniti are separated by 22?
Old 08-16-05, 06:02 PM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
Let me take a crack at it:

1. Automobiles have been getting better and better over the years. Engine efficiency is up, build quality is higher than ever, the technology to build to exacting quality standards is better than ever before. Cars can be better built than ever before--which is not to say that they are (in this age of cost-cutting), but overall quality complaints have gone down; an industry trend shows this (JD Power).

2. Since its debut, and in the history of automobiles, no car manufacturer has attained as many quality awards and customer satisfaction top ratings than Lexus. This is apparent in surveys taken in practically every market Lexus automobiles have been sold, including the US, Canada, England, Australia, Korea, Taiwan...furthermore, Lexus has done this year after year (JD Power, Consumer Reports, others...)

3. Lexus production standards, including manufacturing to body tolerances with thousands of cm/mm, with the industry-leading Tahara plant, are second to none. (JD Power)

Which can lead to the conclusion: Lexus is simply the best built car in the history of the automobile.
All valid points. But, still a very bold and false statement. Lexus has been around for 15 or so years? Something around there. What about the cars built before JD Powers Automobile division was established (and I won't even begin to explain what JD Powers REALLY is)? I don't think anyone was receiving awards because there was no establishment giving them out. What about the time when most cars were being hand-built? I dont think any manufacturer was receiving any awards for quality. Most importantly, what about manufacturers like Rolls Royce and Bentley? They don't get included in JD Powers surveys so their quality is unknown to the major public. Considering they are hand built cars using the finest materials available, I won't doubt the presence of quality. It is safe to say that the QC for those cars are MUCH higher than any Lexus, MB, BMW, Acura, Infiniti etc... Another thing to consider are the awards that Lexus has received in markets other than the US. In Europe, I believe Honda received the award for most reliable manufacturer. In South Africa, Honda also received the award for best quality. Lexus has received many awards in the US, but you need to do the research on who has received what in other countries as well. So my point being.... Lexus does make great cars. But, to say Lexus is simply the best built car in the history of the automobile without considering how a Rolls Royce or Bentley is manufactured is simply ludicrous. If I were to make a statement like that at one of the weekly car-meets in Newport, I would seriously be afraid of getting my *** kicked or seriously told off.

Disclaimer: I am in no way bashing Lexus, just pointing out the true facts. If anyone has a problem with knowing the turth, let me know.
Old 08-16-05, 06:28 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Variance

I'd imagine for the same reason Lexus is above Toyota, Lincoln is above Ford, etc: Higher attention to quality. Which makes me wonder why Honda is above Acura (albeit slightly).
the higher hp in the Acura engines make their trannies go poopie!
Old 08-16-05, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
A merger with GM won't help your reliability any. .
Well...GM itself built one of the most reliable cars in Consumer Reports' database....the Buick Regal. Too bad this didn't apply to a lot more GM products.
The difference is that Consumer Reports can be trusted and IMO J.D. Power cannot. My experience over the years...and from what I have seen...... is that CR is much closer to actual customer experiences.
Old 08-16-05, 07:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AlwaysLate
All valid points. But, still a very bold and false statement. Lexus has been around for 15 or so years? Something around there. What about the cars built before JD Powers Automobile division was established (and I won't even begin to explain what JD Powers REALLY is)? I don't think anyone was receiving awards because there was no establishment giving them out. What about the time when most cars were being hand-built? I dont think any manufacturer was receiving any awards for quality. Most importantly, what about manufacturers like Rolls Royce and Bentley? They don't get included in JD Powers surveys so their quality is unknown to the major public. Considering they are hand built cars using the finest materials available, I won't doubt the presence of quality. It is safe to say that the QC for those cars are MUCH higher than any Lexus, MB, BMW, Acura, Infiniti etc... Another thing to consider are the awards that Lexus has received in markets other than the US. In Europe, I believe Honda received the award for most reliable manufacturer. In South Africa, Honda also received the award for best quality. Lexus has received many awards in the US, but you need to do the research on who has received what in other countries as well. So my point being.... Lexus does make great cars. But, to say Lexus is simply the best built car in the history of the automobile without considering how a Rolls Royce or Bentley is manufactured is simply ludicrous. If I were to make a statement like that at one of the weekly car-meets in Newport, I would seriously be afraid of getting my *** kicked or seriously told off.

Disclaimer: I am in no way bashing Lexus, just pointing out the true facts. If anyone has a problem with knowing the turth, let me know.
Bub, talk to a RR or Bentley owner. Quality is horrible. But craftmanship of materials is first rate. The LS 430 was voted the finest luxury sedan in the world, againt the Bentley, Q45, 7, S etc in an independent survery.
The new Bentley had 64 exposed screws
Lexus is #1 or near #1 in Europe. We posted the threads about it here.

Its the best quality car engineered.Deal with it an LIVE with it. If not for Lexus, ALL cars quality would be substantially worse that it is today. This is a case of where competiton benefited EVERYONE.

Lexus also has the highest rated automobile plants. So its not just the cars, its the plants. They have the highest rated dealer service and near highest or highest customer service.

Why on EARTH would u debate this? That is one of Lexus MAIN selling points. Quality.

Old 08-16-05, 08:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
The only thing on that list that suprises me is the fact that Subaru is so low in the ratings! (22nd overall)
There are a lot of surprising things actually.....
Winstar beating the Sienna
Yukon beating the Sequoia
Esclade beating the Tundra (and being called a light duty truck at that!)
and the king of all of them....
S-10 beating the Tacoma!!!!

I'm telling you, check out Consumer reports and these don't make ANY sense. So somebody is off base here.
Old 08-17-05, 12:40 AM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bub, talk to a RR or Bentley owner. Quality is horrible. But craftmanship of materials is first rate. The LS 430 was voted the finest luxury sedan in the world, againt the Bentley, Q45, 7, S etc in an independent survery.
The new Bentley had 64 exposed screws
Lexus is #1 or near #1 in Europe. We posted the threads about it here.

Its the best quality car engineered.Deal with it an LIVE with it. If not for Lexus, ALL cars quality would be substantially worse that it is today. This is a case of where competiton benefited EVERYONE.

Lexus also has the highest rated automobile plants. So its not just the cars, its the plants. They have the highest rated dealer service and near highest or highest customer service.

Why on EARTH would u debate this? That is one of Lexus MAIN selling points. Quality.
Bub, I never once doubted the quality of Lexus today. But quality still doesn't validate a statment like Lexus is simply the best built car in the history of the automobile. Can you point me to where I can find information about the poor build quality of Rollys Royce and Bentley? Additionally, how many established companies have named the LS430 the finest luxury car? Was this a test for the finest luxury car ever built or just for a certain year? Sorta like Motor Trends Car of the Year awards? Most importantly, has ANY publication made the same statement you have? Without any reference, I'm just going to have to take it as your opinion, not a fact. Additionally, Lexus has received most of it's rewards for quality from the United States. If you want to base the best built car in the world on quality, don't you think that it should win best quality in ALL countries in the world that conduct surveys of the sort? And don't quote me on this, but doesn't Lincoln hold the title for highest rated dealer service? Again, facts are not bashing. When you make a statement like that, I'm gonna have to ask you to supply some true facts that can be backed up to validate it.