Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help on choosing a large load vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 06:52 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help on choosing a large load vehicle

We have recently sold our '01 Sienna XLE mini-van, and are currently searching for a decent 2005 model replacement vehicle that can haul large loads (i.e. groceries, small and med sized furnitures, stuff from Home Depot/Lowe's, you get the idea). We're not particularly interested in a large SUV, but we like a vehicle that can seat 5-7 people (3rd row seating). Also, the car has to be 2-wheel drive, not AWD. We are looking at a pricing range in the high 20's and mid 30's.

Having said that, here are our top choices so far (in no particular order):

- Toyota Sienna XLE
- Honda Odyssey
- Nissan Pathfinder SE

So if you had a choice, which one would you go with? TIA
Old 08-13-05, 07:18 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Toyota Sienna XLE
Old 08-13-05, 07:26 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda Odyssey Touring. The car looks real good for a minivan!
Old 08-13-05, 07:39 PM
Variance
Driver

They all have their pros and cons:

Sienna -- Has an interior often described as "Lexus-like" but not the best exterior, IMO

Odyssey -- Nice looking package overall but IIRC you have to get the fully loaded version to get the cylinder-shutoff technology.

Pathfinder -- The most powerful of the three but the least roomy third-row (obviously).

If you need to routinely carry more than five people I'd go the minivan route unless they are children.
Old 08-13-05, 08:02 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let's not forget.....

that pathfinder is still a Nissan... currently doing naughty things with the French. (like sharing engines and other technology..)
Old 08-13-05, 08:25 PM
Variance
Driver

Originally Posted by whoster
let's not forget.....

that pathfinder is still a Nissan... currently doing naughty things with the French. (like sharing engines and other technology..)
You're not going to find the Pathfinder's engine, transmission, or any other major components (if any components at all) in any Renault. AFAIK, there's no Renault tech in the Pathfinder, either.

Even if you were to, so what?
Old 08-13-05, 10:53 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Why is AWD out?
Old 08-14-05, 08:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I think a minivan it's probably more suitable for you, I think either the odyssey or the Sienna will be fine, can't go wrong with either one. . .
Old 08-14-05, 08:19 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Go for another Sienna
Old 08-14-05, 09:40 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Why is AWD out?
No use for paying extra (for the vehicle and gas) for AWD in Florida when you don't need it

Edit: How about a Highlander? A friend of the family who's a painter is able to fit all of his supplies and a few ladders in a Highlander with no issues at all

Last edited by TheRupp; 08-14-05 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-14-05, 10:28 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I'd go with the Sienna or Odyssey... you'll prolly get better gas mileage with those that with the Pathfinder. Also those two minivans are excellent vehicles... both are bar-raising in their class. They also have a very smooth car-like ride. I'd say look at both of those thoroughly and just see which one sparks your fancy more. You can't lose with either.
Old 08-14-05, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Go for another Sienna
I agree. The Sienna has more versatile fold-down seats than the Odyssey and a somewhat smoother, quieter ride. Its repair record is a little better, too.....although Honda has since gotten rid of the most troublesome device on the Odyssey........the GM-supplied electric sliding door mechanism.......and replaced it with a much more reliable Honda-designed one. That GM unit was a piece of junk.

I agree with the conclusion that AWD is not needed for snow traction in Florida ( it almost never snows south of the Panhandle and only rarely in the Panhandle ) but AWD offers other advantages as well, especially on wet roads...and Florida DOES get heavy rains....lots of them. The Sienna does offer it. The Odyssey does not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-14-05 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-14-05, 03:30 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I never knew the automatic door mechanism was designed by GM. My buddy has a '00 (I think thats the year) Oddessy, and they replaced ~4 mechanisms during the warranty period and then one more just recently.
Old 08-14-05, 05:48 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would a Japanese car company use an electronic piece of equipment from an American car manufacturer?
Old 08-14-05, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
I never knew the automatic door mechanism was designed by GM. My buddy has a '00 (I think thats the year) Oddessy, and they replaced ~4 mechanisms during the warranty period and then one more just recently.
When Honda redesigned the Odyssey in 1999 and made it into a REAL minivan instead of just a slightly longer Colt Vista-type of vehicle, one of the major revisions was a first-ever full-sliding side door instead the previous Odyssey's four car-type doors. For some reason ( I don't know why....you'll have to ask an Honda engineer or product planner ) Honda decided not to design their own electric motor and sliding mechanism for the new door. Power-sliding side doors by then were becoming more and more in demand for minivans, and customers expected automakers to start proving them....just as power-tailgates and liftbacks are now the new rage.
So, for whatever reason, Honda markets this brand-new Odyssey.....an excellent minivan in virtually every other respect.....with a junk GM-designed power-door unit that proved VERY troublesome...as you and your friend have found out.
The latest Odyssey.....as I mentioned in my last post.......does not use this mechanism any more. Honda realized their mistake and came up with a better unit of their own for the newer Odysseys.

Quick Reply: Help on choosing a large load vehicle