Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should I try to go for the Mini S, or keep the SC4?
Yes, go for the sporty Mini!!!
11.76%
No, keep the classy SC4
61.76%
Get rid of the SC and buy a skate board.
26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Comparing my SC4 to an '06 Cooper S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05 | 09:23 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Default Comparing my SC4 to an '06 Cooper S.

This might belong in another forum, but I figured I'd get a better response here where the thread is isolated to SC owners... Please move it if necessary.

I have a '95 SC4 with 44,000 miles on it and I'm the second owner. Great condition, but she has her flaws that stick out to me(I'm extremely ****). I did plan to have her repainted by next Summer anyway, though.

My sister is getting an '06 Cooper S (automatic ) soon. I might, small might, have the ability to trade the SC4 in for another S, but with a 6-speed.

Pros: The car is slightly quicker in stock form than my car, and 11 years newer. More easily modded, definitely more fun to drive, has more stock features (NAV and Blue Tooth capabilities), etc...

Cons: I like the looks of my car more (no one has ever called it "cute"), I prefer RWD, and fitting in my car might be easier than in the Mini.

Trading my car in, I could probably get away with an '06 S (built for me, to my specifications) for around $15k.

What are my fellow SC owners' thoughts on this idea? It might be hard to pass it off to my parents, but it's possible.

Plus, it'll be kinda cool to have matching Minis in the garage.
Old 08-13-05 | 11:20 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

NOOOO. Keep the SC. It is much more attractivce than a mini. If you don't want to keep the SC4, sell it and find another one in better condition. Or you can buy one of the many SC3 5spds for sales in the classifieds,ebay, autotrader, etc, and then turbo that. I think that would be much better than a Mini. But that's just my opinion.
Old 08-14-05 | 12:38 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

06 Cooper S for $15k

damn that's like...10K off....

i'd buy that.....sell it, buy something else...
Old 08-14-05 | 12:57 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whoster
06 Cooper S for $15k

damn that's like...10K off....

i'd buy that.....sell it, buy something else...
i think he has to trade his SC400 in to get mini s for 15k
Old 08-14-05 | 01:52 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

ooooh

i'm stupid ..nm. i really like the Mini Cooper S...

but it is more "cute"

the ideal image would be a hot blonde chick stepping out from a Cooper S on Sunset Blvd or 3rd Street or Melrose Place....not some dude in Virginia...

Old 08-14-05 | 05:15 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Hrmmm... the Mini Cooper S is a car with good punch, like quite a few of the Euro hot hatches... similar to the Renault Clio Sport (these things munch!).

IMHO I'd take the SC4 anyday over a Cooper S though, but that's because I'm a big boy and I'd look stupid driving a small-classed car. But each to their own.

Jose
Old 08-14-05 | 08:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I like the mini, but if it's me, with only 44K miles, I'll still keep the SC4
Old 08-14-05 | 08:23 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Thanks the for the input.

Yup, I would be trading the SC in. We bought it for $12k back in Feb, and I wouldn't be surprised if I could get more money than that for it with all of the paintwork I've put into it. Before the paint looked ten years old, now it looks brand new.

I guess I just don't like the idea of my younger sister having a newer, nicer, faster car than I do... And she's not paying for it.
Old 08-14-05 | 08:44 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Thanks the for the input.

Yup, I would be trading the SC in. We bought it for $12k back in Feb, and I wouldn't be surprised if I could get more money than that for it with all of the paintwork I've put into it. Before the paint looked ten years old, now it looks brand new.

I guess I just don't like the idea of my younger sister having a newer, nicer, faster car than I do... And she's not paying for it.

An Auto Mini Cooper S is SLOWER then your car. Its about a second slower then the manual version. Not to mention you could probably take a manual mini cooper S on top end as well. And there is this thing called mods that do wonders!
Old 08-14-05 | 09:48 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Inabj2
An Auto Mini Cooper S is SLOWER then your car. Its about a second slower then the manual version. Not to mention you could probably take a manual mini cooper S on top end as well. And there is this thing called mods that do wonders!
The Mini S automatic is advertised to do 0-60 in 7.0 seconds. About on par with my car.

Unfortunately, us SC4 owners don't have the plethora of mods availiable to us like you SC3 owners.
Old 08-14-05 | 12:14 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

SC to Mini? Although I see the fun aspect of it... I would soon be immune to the novelty. But each to his own!
Old 08-14-05 | 12:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Keep the SC, it has way more style than the Cooper S IMO.
Old 08-14-05 | 12:26 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

I drove one for a month while my friend was out of the country, and every time I got in I felt like suffocating. I could never get used to a tiny car like that after driving a huge *** coupe like SC.
Old 08-14-05 | 01:51 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Maybe it's because I'm not exactly a big guy (5'10" or about 178 cm for our fellow Canadian Lex-er's), but I find the Mini Cooper to be surprisingly roomy.
Old 08-14-05 | 02:22 PM
conscious
Driver School Candidate

What kind of driving do you do - some high way or mostly city? If it's a lot of city driving you might prefer the manuverability of the S, but on the hwy nothing beats the SC. In the city the SC is nice, but I find it a touch heavy to throw in and out of corners.

Before owning the SC, I had a civic hatchback which was great on gas, and quick in the city. The downside was that it noisy and it had a rough ride. Driving an S recently, I found the same up and down side. The other downside is that you have to spend an extra 15K and there is no way in my mind that the S is worth that.

Quick Reply: Comparing my SC4 to an '06 Cooper S.