Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's official -2006 Toyota Supra - Tokyo Auto Show Launch

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 02:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I know the IS350 2GR-FSE is already a potent motor with alot of potential. It drives very smooth and is very powerful. Imagine a 4.0L 1GR-FSE Dual VVT-i D4 motor? Amazing.
Old 08-16-05, 03:00 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default True!

Ok guys I am the originator of this thread at the "other sites" and I released the information based on page 31 from our freshly received Automotive News sub. Auto news is a very dependable source and so far everything they have written there has turned to be truth. Will we see the Supra on the next big show 99.9% yes, will it go to production in 06 ? maybe. They say it's true. I just passed on what they had to say. I hope it is true, Toyota has some butt kicking pending for a while. All I pray is for a turbocharged version.

5Gears-IS
Old 08-16-05, 03:32 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Ok guys I am the originator of this thread at the "other sites" and I released the information based on page 31 from our freshly received Automotive News sub. Auto news is a very dependable source and so far everything they have written there has turned to be truth. Will we see the Supra on the next big show 99.9% yes, will it go to production in 06 ? maybe. They say it's true. I just passed on what they had to say. I hope it is true, Toyota has some butt kicking pending for a while. All I pray is for a turbocharged version.

5Gears-IS
could you get us a copy of this article that you read and who is "they" you refer too ?
Old 08-16-05, 05:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Got this from another forum :

Oct. 2005 Tokyo motor show will be the launch pad for the next generation Toyota Supra!
Sales to start as soon as spring 2006!!! Built off the Lexus IS/GS platform with a 4.0 liter V-6 engine.
No news on Turbocharged versions yet but you know that's coming, after all a Supra can not be a Supra without it.

Source: Automotive news
Well if its true, it confirms what I've been saying for sometime, it may possibly be GS/IS based. That is a big V-6!

Old 08-16-05, 06:52 PM
CarbonIS
Driver School Candidate

Nothing is for sure yet as we dont' know "for sure" when and if this car is coming? So I sure wouldn't get excited, and I also wouldn't be disapointed... take it w/ a grain of salt. Automotive news is where Autoweek gets all of it's news from, and from what I'm seeing, looking on the website, this is the "future" vehicles section that Autoweek does once or twice every year right before the major autoshows. Most likely you'll see the actual article in days or weeks time.

Toyota has every reason to build a Supra, there is most definately a market for the car, no reason why they shouldn't build one. Also, who's to say that there wouldn't be a turbo or V8 in addtion to the N/A V6? And who's to say that the V6 wouldn't be a real performer??? N/A engines generally have a broader rev range, which I like, though it doesn't help in day to day driving and what not..... but I dont see any reason not to get one w/ all the aftermarket equipment that's out there, especially for these cars. But honestly, it's anyones game, so I would just take this w/ a grain of salt and leave it at that.
Old 08-16-05, 07:41 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

if it is true, id hope to see a high powered version which may be likely... i mean i would hate to see an NA V6 and thats it. which could only compete with the 350Z and the rx-8(or possibly a coming rx-7)... i would really like to see either a V8 or turbo version of a new supra. something pushing at least 400 ponies. i also really hope that this version has better weight distribution and is considerably lighter than the previous.
Old 08-22-05, 11:37 AM
saleem
Pole Position

here is the information that white all trac originally posted for us now it appears in todays autoweek aswell
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102996
Old 08-22-05, 11:40 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saleem
here is the information that white all trac originally posted for us now it appears in todays autoweek aswell
Thanks for the link. Let's hope they know what they're talking about regarding the Supra.

Also, they say the VX will be the big brother of the RX with 3rd-row seats, while the JX will replace LX as a new body-on-frame SUV.
Old 08-22-05, 11:42 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps they'll keep the Supra to about 350ish hp to compete with the 350Z and RX8 and such.... and maybe the LF-A will be the one that takes on the new Infiniti GTR, 911, Corvette, etc.
Old 08-22-05, 11:51 AM
saleem
Pole Position

over at edmunds.com there is a thread about the 2007 LS there is some juicy bit of info regarding two new "hatchback sedans" proposed by Toyota motor corportation head honchos now this guy that provided the info on the LS also refered to the LF-A as a sports sedan .. which leads me to believe The "Hatchback sedans" are in fact some sort of sports cars soon to come out from Toyota .. .. ken matsui is the name of the poster on the edmunds forum he is some sort of an engineer with Toyota with credible reputation on the edmunds forum .. here is the link to the thread
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...w/.ef3fc23/545

Very exciting time for Lexus and Toyota
Old 08-22-05, 12:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the link, lots of info, I hope they are all accurate wrt Lexus & Toyota models.

Also, they say the G35c will only be "reskinned " for 2007, not redesigned, which I like if true, then I don't have to spend more $ to get a new one & keep mine longer
Old 08-22-05, 12:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

over at edmunds.com there is a thread about the 2007 LS there is some juicy bit of info regarding two new "hatchback sedans" proposed by Toyota motor corportation head honchos now this guy that provided the info on the LS also refered to the LF-A as a sports sedan .. which leads me to believe The "Hatchback sedans" are in fact some sort of sports cars soon to come out from Toyota .. .. ken matsui is the name of the poster on the edmunds forum he is some sort of an engineer with Toyota with credible reputation on the edmunds forum .. here is the link to the thread
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...w/.ef3fc23/545

Very exciting time for Lexus and Toyota
So the 7-speed auto is already complete and approved for use in the Crown and is suggested for use in the next LS for now. But I guess an 8-speed auto is in secret development, and if the 8-speed auto project gets finished in time before the next LS is finalized, the new 8-speed will be used instead. That solves the conflicting info we've got from different sources so far.

Hmm also the "LF-A Sport Sedan"?? Dunno what that implies but sounds exciting.

Hope he's for real.

"Re: Updated LS information would be posted on next week by k_mitsui

Hello all
Kevin and I are planning to provide post new updates regarding the new LS sedan and we hope that all of your concerns would be answered as much as possible (especially the discussion on whether the new LS sedan would going to have 8 or 7 speed transmission). Furthermore, Kevin would also post some interesting information regarding the LF-A sport sedan that you might interested (such as whether or not this sedan would going bear a name of ZF “The ultimate formula sedan” as been rumored in my homeland). I believe he would also going to provide some background information regarding the Century sedan that he has been working on and would explain how this new sedan would going to become a distinct Ultra-Luxury brand for Toyota, just like Mercedes have for their Maybach brand. Finally he would probably (if he has time) would discuss the problems you are concern regarding the IS sedan and might also give you some background info regarding the two new hatchback sedans that you might not aware, but already proposed recently by the research board at Toyota.
Before I go, I will now just very briefly going to say about what I have know so far about the transmission issue since there already some intense arguments in the forum.
- I can confirm that Toyota was cooperating with a transmission company to develop a new CVT system. However (but I cannot confirm it) that this new CVT system would ONLY going to first implanted on the LS hybrid sedan before it would make it’s way to other LS models during it’s mid-year model refresh.
- For now, it’s suggested that the new LS gas powered sedan would first going to share the new 7 speed transmission with the Crown Majestia and Royal sedan and it’s recently approved by the management to go ahead with the upgrade on both the Majestia and Royal sedans during it’s mid-model refresh.
Anyways, I should not further discuss this issue further since Kevin would know much more about the transmission issue than I am. Therefore I would going to leave this topic for him to discuss for next week.
Ken Mitsui"
Old 08-22-05, 12:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Hmm also the "LF-A Sport Sedan"?? Dunno what that implies but sounds exciting.
I'm totally confused Are they going to build a 4 door coupe like the CLS out of the LF-A concept too ???
Old 08-22-05, 01:02 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I'm totally confused Are they going to build a 4 door coupe like the CLS out of the LF-A concept too ???
one can only wish...
Old 08-22-05, 01:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

gotta love the rumor mill.

Quick Reply: It's official -2006 Toyota Supra - Tokyo Auto Show Launch