Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you find it hard to enjoy your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 06:47 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do you find it hard to enjoy your car?

Guys,

Was just wondering if anyone else found themselves feeling like this.

When I drive my Lex I spend more time worrying about the car than I actually do enjoying it. I worry about where I park it, if someone is going to mess with it - haters. I think about which roads to take so there are no bumps or potholes. I think what I am going to be doing the rest of the day so I don't have to worry about getting the interior dirty.

I wish I could just get in the damn thing and enjoy it like I should!!

I end up driving my beater everywhere ( 96 Taurus) because I don't care what happens to it. And I still find myself parking at the end of the parking lot out of habit

Jonny
Old 08-16-05, 07:04 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dx3
And I still find myself parking at the end of the parking lot out of habit

Jonny
I do that too. Reduces the chance of getting door dings/scrapes by 50 percent.
Old 08-16-05, 07:12 PM
CarbonIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew a guy that had a seriously decked Jetta, left it in Chinatown one night, the next morning he came back and the car was keyed all the way down, the noobs(for the lack of a better word) even keyed his rims, disgusting. At the very least you dont' live here in SoCal, even soccer moms that sit on their farts all day are haters in your local grocery store parking lot.
Old 08-16-05, 07:39 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bro i feel the same way..im always listening for noises watching the potholes since i live in NYC its pothole central..the only time im not worried is when im on the parkway in NJ or someone esle cause the roads are in pretty good condition..im very **** bout my GS and its killin me that i cant open my sunroof cause it makes a lil noise and i need to bring it in but the dealer does have any loaners cause people dont know how to bring ****** back...oh well
Old 08-16-05, 08:05 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

I don't really worry about my car like that.. I mean I care about it, and I'd prefer less dings and scratches, but I don't stress over it.

At the end of the day, no matter which way you slice it, it's still a material possession, and it's hard for me to make myself go insane over a scratch here or there.

edit: I'll still park a little farther away if it's open spaces, etc. and will take a few preventative measures to keep my car in good shape, all I'm saying is that my car is the least of my worries/priorities in life.

Last edited by Davtown; 08-16-05 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 08:06 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i havent had a chance to even think about something like that because for owning my new GS for 4 weeks this past week it's been in the shop waiting for a cam position sensor
Old 08-16-05, 08:11 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davtown
I don't really worry about my car like that.. I mean I care about it, and I'd prefer less dings and scratches, but I don't stress over it.

At the end of the day, no matter which way you slice it, it's still a material possession, and it's hard for me to make myself go insane over a scratch here or there.

edit: I'll still park a little farther away if it's open spaces, etc. and will take a few preventative measures to keep my car in good shape, all I'm saying is that my car is the least of my worries/priorities in life.
You are weird.
Old 08-16-05, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Man you are wise way beyond your years.

It's tough that most of us spend a load of time earning the money to buy the car and maintain it knowing that in general it only goes down in value.

But if we constantly worry about what 'might' happen we dont enjoy what IS happening.

Best thing that can happen to a new car is to get a scrape or a ding or something, because then we can stop obsessing about keeping it 'perfect' (which it never really was anyway).

And trying to keep a car constantly clean is futile and ultimately a giant waste of time. I like driving a clean car, but I'm not going to spend a ton of time keeping it clean all the time because there's plenty more productive and enjoyable ways I can be spending that time!
Old 08-16-05, 10:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

When I drive my Lex I spend more time worrying about the car than I actually do enjoying it. I worry about where I park it, if someone is going to mess with it - haters. I think about which roads to take so there are no bumps or potholes. I think what I am going to be doing the rest of the day so I don't have to worry about getting the interior dirty.

I end up driving my beater everywhere ( 96 Taurus) because I don't care what happens to it. And I still find myself parking at the end of the parking lot out of habit

Jonny
J, I don't wory at all, but if i had your luck i'd walk.
Old 08-16-05, 11:42 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah i find it hard to enjoy, the thing is a money pit, stuff keeps breaking LOL. i love it though.
Old 08-17-05, 01:10 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also have the same problem.. i worry too much. but like all CL that lives in NYC.. so many bad drivers out there that can't PARK for their life.. and also them roads.. i think i became a better driver by watching out for them pot holes..

the only time i truely get to enjoy my Es. is when i'm on a long trip(more than 100miles).. that's when i can relax
Old 08-17-05, 02:02 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. At one time I used to get upset over an accident or a door ding, but then I realized after I got all bent out of shape the dent or damage was still there. Now, I just get it repaired and often I take the opportunity to make the car better than before. Now, I don't purposely park in a bad area, or go out of my way to **** people off by taking two spots or anything like that though. Other than that I figure stuff will happen and there is no sense worrying about something you have little to no control over.
Old 08-17-05, 04:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I like driving a clean car, but I'm not going to spend a ton of time keeping it clean all the time because there's plenty more productive and enjoyable ways I can be spending that time!
Yes....like doing research for your NEXT car...the one that will replace it.
Old 08-17-05, 05:41 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

When I drive my car which is every day I do nothing but enjoy it. I am a very carefree person so I really don't ever think about what could happen or if someone is going to jack my sht. I really just drive it and enjoy it because afterall isn't that why we mod our car?
Old 08-17-05, 05:56 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

Jonny
For the longest time I felt the EXACT same way that you do and I still do feel this way to some extent. My car is a '99 and has only 45,000 miles. That tells you the story right there.

However, I have come to the conclusion (took me a while to do this) that I must drive the car and get enjoyment out of it. Otherwise, its a waste of money.

I live in CT so I can;t drive it in the winter but when its not going to rain, I drive the car to work everyday and put 70 miles on each day. I know the roads very well so I can prevent getting a bent rim etc.

My beater, '97 Camry with 178,000 miles, still get plenty of work: the gym, shopping, errands etc.
For instance I go to Manhattan frequently and have never taken the GS into the city. With my Camry I have no concerns and potholes don;t scar eme sinc eI'm running 14" wheels with wheel covers as opposed to 3-piece chrome 20" wheels on my GS.

Ted

Quick Reply: Do you find it hard to enjoy your car?