Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Find me a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 12:34 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Find me a car

Ok guys... I just got a new job making a lot more money, and I'm bored with my 2001 ES.

If I'm gonna spend the money, I might as well get a car with more technology features, such as Nav, Xenons, reverse tilt mirrors, etc. I also figure if I'm gonna get "average" gas mileage, my car might as well be fast (I have no problem paying the extra 20 cents for Premium if I have to).

The ES is a great car, very reliable, just... bland, especially at my age. To me, it's really a status car. I don't race or anything, I just want something cooler.

I don't really modify my cars either... so no "Get an RSX and mod it up", because I won't do that. I shouldn't have to pay extra to make my car what I want it to be while I'm still making car payments. If I need to put some different wheels or tires on it, fine, but no CAI, ECU, etc.

I'm looking for something that's fast, sporty, reliable, bluetooth would be really nice, xenons, nav, drivetrain is no matter (I can deal with the months of snow... my ES isn't very snow friendly for some odd reason... I think it's an overactive traction control system), steering wheel radio controls are a plus, but not necessary, sleek and sexy.

I'm thinking an 01-02ish GS430 maybe (the negative is not enough of the stuff I want available), not an IS300 (not fast enough), the IS350 really looks promising, but I can't get any numbers on it yet so I have no idea how much I need to put down on it. I can do without a lot of the options though. If I can learn what "patience" is, then I'll probably settle for the 350 sometime early next year

I was thinking G35 Coupe, but I'm hearing way too many horror stories on them lately (no offense to any owners in here). The E90 is a sweet ride, but not worth the money imo. I was also looking at an 01-02 530i or 540i... who knows. TL's seem to have WAY too many problems, so that one's out. TSX is nice, but I gotta see some pics of this "facelift" it's getting for this year.

I have no idea.
Old 08-18-05, 12:51 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I'm thinking an 01-02ish GS430 maybe (the negative is not enough of the stuff I want available), not an IS300 (not fast enough), the IS350 really looks promising, but I can't get any numbers on it yet so I have no idea how much I need to put down on it. I can do without a lot of the options though. If I can learn what "patience" is, then I'll probably settle for the 350 sometime early next year
What is your approzimate budget? The '02 GS430 would have most of the items you're looking for, except the bluetooth.

The new IS will have all the goodies, including some the new GS lacks, such as an ipod connector, bi-xenon lights and a higher resolution navigation screen.
Old 08-18-05, 12:59 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

I'd like to stay under $700/mo, or at least around there.

I guess I'll put the ceiling at $40,000. If it goes a tiny bit over, then so be it.
Old 08-18-05, 01:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

TheRupp are the 06GS430 and 06GS300 your or your wifes cars. Those seem to fit what you want very well. A 98-01 used 996 Porsche 911 could probrably fit into your price range and be very entertaining. You can probrably get into a used E46 M3 at that price too which would be a blast to drive but more expensive on maintainence. For around 43 or 44 you could get into a slightly used new model Acura RL or maybe a new one if you can find a willing dealer and that car will fit all your standards plus some. I have not heard of many problems with TL's especially the 2004+ models, everyone I know that has one loves the car and has had no issues. Some stuff gets blown out of proportion on the internet. The 04+ TL is a good handler, 270hp standard, all the features you want and is fun to drive as well as being luxurious and well built and comes well below your price point. Perhaps a used Audi S4 if you can find one at your price range. You could certainly get into a 01-04 loaded GS430 at your price range if you don't mind that a new model is out. The new IS350 will definitely be worth a look but it will most likely have alot less interior room then your ES if that is important to you and the price for one unfortanately my be over you limit, espcially if demand is high and their are dealer markups. A slightly used infiniti M35 or possibly a new one would fit your criteria and budget too and they have been getting very good reviews. I would stay away from Mercedes because many seem to turn out to be nightmares to own and are risky especially used ones. Good Luck
Old 08-18-05, 08:05 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should wait and see how IS350 turns out.
Old 08-19-05, 12:32 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DC52E55
Best advice yet... blah I'm just bored and need to find another way to treat myself I guess lol

Haha @ UDel... i'm not laughing at you, I just never really made the situation clear I guess. I live at home, the 300's my mom's and the 430's my dad's... yeah I'm a bit younger than you might expect

I did look at some Porsches, oddly enough. I also looked at some slightly used 2005's and 2006's, I'd have to wait a bit before those start to come back off leases and whatnot I suppose.

The TL's build quality... I'm talkign abotu all the rattles (which I'm totally not used to), the transmission problems (which finally seem to be going away), the 10,000 mile tire life (fixed for 05?), and the fact that they're built in America.

Otherwise a wonderful car. I'm probably overreacting about this stuff, but who knows, I don't want another Cavalier on my hands. (My old Cavalier basically spent 3 day intervals OUT of the shop before going back in for another 2-3 weeks. I got to know my Corolla pretty well for a while there ).
Old 08-19-05, 01:46 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

GS or IS...what a wonderful conundrum! Or something else. Ah, to get improved income...
Old 08-19-05, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with the suggestion to wait and look at the new IS. There will be an IS250 AWD version for snow but it will only have automatic and the 2.5L V6 ( maybe not enough kick for you? ) Also consider the Subaru Legacy GT. It has AWD and some kick, too....and a Lexus-grade interior, fit-and-finish-wise, for a Subaru price.
Old 08-19-05, 07:51 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with the suggestion to wait and look at the new IS. There will be an IS250 AWD version for snow but it will only have automatic and the 2.5L V6 ( maybe not enough kick for you? ) Also consider the Subaru Legacy GT. It has AWD and some kick, too....and a Lexus-grade interior, fit-and-finish-wise, for a Subaru price.
Yeah not quite enough kick

I'm really impressed by the Subaru though, never really looked into it but holy crap
Old 08-20-05, 05:28 AM
LexFather

Legacy GT, we had some at our SELOC show, sweet car.
GS 430, you've seen the forum, you cannot go wrong. The IS 350 looks awesome on paper

Old 08-20-05, 07:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

+1
Old 08-20-05, 07:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto! It sounds really promising.
Old 08-20-05, 09:38 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get an s4.... those are sweet... or an m3 as stated...... i have a g35 love it, no horror stories here........ any of the three that i mentioned would be fun to drive......
Old 08-20-05, 09:40 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Looks like it's almost unanimous for the IS350.

Originally Posted by b1gredek
i would get an s4.... those are sweet...
I really like the S4 a lot, but my neighbor had tons of problems with his, and I'm not exactly sure if I want to deal with another lemon
Old 08-20-05, 10:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

TheRupp - do you own a home? If not, I'd put the $700/mo. toward that!

Quick Reply: Find me a car