Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the CLS55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 11:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
Post a link to that survey. The latest jd power dependability survey doesn't include the cls since it's a new .
That will be proven in 3 years' time
Old 08-19-05, 11:45 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was in the position to spend big bucks on that car,and I really wanted it, I'd buy it. As long as it's under warranty, I wouldn't sweat it. If stuff breaks, you take it in and have it fixed for free. I'd find all bugs I could, that's for sure.
now when warranty is running out..............
Old 08-19-05, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

still, do you want to see your car spending 1/3 of the time in the shop getting stuff fixed? i wouldn't want to, especially the car is so much more expensive than the stupid 230 kompressor loaner they will give me
Old 08-19-05, 11:54 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car sounds soooo good!!
But I'll stick with my GS.
Old 08-19-05, 11:55 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
If stuff breaks, you take it in and have it fixed for free.
That is, if you're lucky enough to have it broken while it's parked. If stuff breaks WHILE you're driving it's a different story. I for one don't want to wait on the roadside for a truck for 2 hours when going on a roadtrip.

BTW, for those who haven't seen this thread regarding CLS reliability:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173499
Old 08-19-05, 10:01 PM
LexFather

I simply luv Clarkson reviews.

Old 08-19-05, 10:25 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how can you NOT love this ..i know its a BRABUS...but cmon..
Attached Thumbnails Video: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the CLS55 AMG-7041001.001.mini1l-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by NYlexus; 08-19-05 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 12:59 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
IAs long as it's under warranty, I wouldn't sweat it. If stuff breaks, you take it in and have it fixed for free.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of occurances where Mercedes CAN'T fix it. Base price on a CLS500 is $65,000, and CLS55 is $87,000. I'm not gonna drop $87,000 on a car that the dealership doesn't know how to fix.

You'd end up spending more time in a loaner car than you would your own.
Old 08-20-05, 07:15 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Unfortunately, there are a lot of occurances where Mercedes CAN'T fix it.

if they are like Lexus techs on warranty work, they hardly fix anything, they just replace the whole system in question.
Old 08-20-05, 02:00 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

The cls is such a beautiful car, too bad it doesnt give you a chance to enjoy it.
Old 08-20-05, 06:48 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusls430
The cls is such a beautiful car, too bad it doesnt give you a chance to enjoy it.
I am getting tired of all of you who don't own Mercedes bashing them. I have 3 that I drive regurlarly, an 03, 04 and an 05, all AMG's. I also have an '04 LS430 and had an '04 SC430. To count the time in the garage it goes like this the SC 8 times without any corrective action (traded with 1,750 miles on it) in fact it became worse with every passing visit, the LS for wind noise that the dealer says "they all do it". To that I reply horsefeathers; I rented a Chevy Cobalt when I went to see my invalid mother and the car had less wind noise than the LS and trust me I am not being facetious. The combined total time for all three of the MB's in the garage = 1 day for a supercharger chirp which was repaired the first time.

No car is perfect. Today when I was cleaning the cars I noticed that the black monochromatic paint on my wife's LS ( I claim no ownership rights on this car) is 2 toned. The lower panels are at least 3 shades darker than the non plastic parts and they call it the "Passionate pursuit of perfection". Great marketing phrase too bad they have dealers who destroy it and not always a perfect product.

Unless you own an AMG or have driven one for any period of time, I think your comments are extremely childish and are definetly unwarranted. I am waiting to see the new S class at which time I will absolutely be trading the LS on it or a CLS55/CLS63. I have had it with the Lexus experience.

Just remember we all have opinions just like a**holes and everyone is entitled to at least one.
Old 08-20-05, 07:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I am getting tired of all of you who don't own Mercedes bashing them. I have 3 that I drive regurlarly, an 03, 04 and an 05, all AMG's. I also have an '04 LS430 and had an '04 SC430. To count the time in the garage it goes like this the SC 8 times without any corrective action (traded with 1,750 miles on it) in fact it became worse with every passing visit, the LS for wind noise that the dealer says "they all do it". To that I reply horsefeathers; I rented a Chevy Cobalt when I went to see my invalid mother and the car had less wind noise than the LS and trust me I am not being facetious. The combined total time for all three of the MB's in the garage = 1 day for a supercharger chirp which was repaired the first time.

No car is perfect. Today when I was cleaning the cars I noticed that the black monochromatic paint on my wife's LS ( I claim no ownership rights on this car) is 2 toned. The lower panels are at least 3 shades darker than the non plastic parts and they call it the "Passionate pursuit of perfection". Great marketing phrase too bad they have dealers who destroy it and not always a perfect product.

Unless you own an AMG or have driven one for any period of time, I think your comments are extremely childish and are definetly unwarranted. I am waiting to see the new S class at which time I will absolutely be trading the LS on it or a CLS55/CLS63. I have had it with the Lexus experience.

Just remember we all have opinions just like a**holes and everyone is entitled to at least one.
Well friend........... I think the car is a beauty, however no matter how much you cheerlead because you own them, it is the "overall experience" of the entire world rather than one man that we get reports on. The overall experience of the world says 80% of Mercedes owners are plagued with SEVERE problems, recalls, and issues.

It is fact, not opinion that from 1990 forward the previously "overbuilt" Mercedes that had awsome quality went to crap from cost cutting corporate greed. Long time Mercedes backers pulled out, people sold their cars, and JD Powers reported nearly bottom of the list quality from severe problems of owners ALL OVER THE WORLD.

While i love the looks inside and out of most Mercedes vehicles, quality is CRAP. That is not debateable in any way - it's fact. EVERY report from the early 90's forward since Mercedes sold out quality for quantity and greed has built over a decade of record for you to review.

I had a '97 Ford Ranger that I put 150k on in only 4 years. While everyone else was b****** about Oxygen sensors and crank case problems, mine hummed right along until i traded it in with NO major service EVER. Point ----- every once in a while someone get's a good one of everything.

I'm glad you have had good fortune with yours. I figured someone had to have gotten one or two that actually ran RIGHT. The other 80% are in the service bay and traded in for a nice new Lexus.
The company that has PWNED the JD Powers survey since the day they were introduced into the market.

You can talk about your own experience, and are welcome to, but you can't argue with the majority of the world. Mercedes sold out. Quality dropped to the bottom of the list, and the whole process only strengthened Lexus/Toyota's grip on the market as another company ruins a 100 year tradition of quality by selling out their customers.
I noticed you had no mechanical complaints about your Lexus A little wind noise and paint tone, which is normal from flexx aditive in painted plastics.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 08-20-05 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 07:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

That's called Flexx additive. It is a requirement in all paint to prevent chipping on plastics. Good companies use it. Also the plastic will absorb a percentage of the paint through heat soak, and fading on plastic is an inevitable obstacle every manufacturer must face by the laws of nature. However the major reason for the paint shade difference is the flexx additive.It is common from all manufacturers.
Old 08-20-05, 09:29 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

I love the looks of the CLS
Old 08-21-05, 12:04 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Well friend........... I think the car is a beauty, however no matter how much you cheerlead because you own them, it is the "overall experience" of the entire world rather than one man that we get reports on. The overall experience of the world says 80% of Mercedes owners are plagued with SEVERE problems, recalls, and issues.

It is fact, not opinion that from 1990 forward the previously "overbuilt" Mercedes that had awsome quality went to crap from cost cutting corporate greed. Long time Mercedes backers pulled out, people sold their cars, and JD Powers reported nearly bottom of the list quality from severe problems of owners ALL OVER THE WORLD.

While i love the looks inside and out of most Mercedes vehicles, quality is CRAP. That is not debateable in any way - it's fact. EVERY report from the early 90's forward since Mercedes sold out quality for quantity and greed has built over a decade of record for you to review.

I had a '97 Ford Ranger that I put 150k on in only 4 years. While everyone else was b****** about Oxygen sensors and crank case problems, mine hummed right along until i traded it in with NO major service EVER. Point ----- every once in a while someone get's a good one of everything.

I'm glad you have had good fortune with yours. I figured someone had to have gotten one or two that actually ran RIGHT. The other 80% are in the service bay and traded in for a nice new Lexus.
The company that has PWNED the JD Powers survey since the day they were introduced into the market.

You can talk about your own experience, and are welcome to, but you can't argue with the majority of the world. Mercedes sold out. Quality dropped to the bottom of the list, and the whole process only strengthened Lexus/Toyota's grip on the market as another company ruins a 100 year tradition of quality by selling out their customers.
I noticed you had no mechanical complaints about your Lexus A little wind noise and paint tone, which is normal from flexx aditive in painted plastics.
I had significant electronic problems, rattles and seats that were deteriorating on my SC. That is why I dumped it. By the way MY Friend, I am well aware of the flex additive on the plastic panels. It is not only good companies that use it ---they all do. My daughter just brought her RAV 4 to our house and guess what the plastic panels are all the same color as the metal body panels. Enough of this dribble; I have to check to see that my cars have not broken.

Quick Reply: Video: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the CLS55 AMG