Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-05, 08:58 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
With the age old debate of Asian V/S German, the results will always be the same. German cars have more personality and are generally a car that is more of a drivers car (which is why i own a few germans in the stable). Asian cars are hella dependable, can be fast AND fuel efficient, and will still drive after the body rusts off of them.

I solved this delimma by buying two Lexus and two Germans (Porsche and BMW). While the Porsche didn't last quite as long before parts started needing to be changed out, the BMW is the highest mileage vehicle i own and runs like a top. I have had only the waterpump, brake booster, and steering linkages replaced on the bimmer. 226,000 miles.

The Lexus have been the most dependable with minimal service history, only the normal PS pump/alt replacement, and center driveshaft bearing.

If i ever had to choose to sell all my cars and keep only one I believe personally I'd have many sleepless nights deciding whether or not i wanted the dependability of my Lexus, or the still dependable - but fun to drive BMW. Truth be told, I'd probably keep the bimmer giving the problems have been nill. My Lexus just can't give me the seat of the pants feel I get in my bimmer. In all fairness my bimmer is modded to hell and back, but it's more my style regardless.
Im absolutely convinced the SC chassis will be just as thrilling after a few heavy modifications to drive train and.. agressive weight reduction... I have faith that the car can be made to handle with the best of them. Best example is probably ueno's car although its not tuned for road racing.
Old 08-20-05, 09:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

still feels too heavy. It's the quick, light, peppy "throw" to the car that I like about my bimmer.
Old 08-21-05, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by wSC300
Thanks, We picked up an '05 GTi with an automatic transmission today, .
Congragulations. Enjoy your new car. If you don't know the proper break-in procedures for your engine, transmission, and brakes, or if a dealer rep didn't give them to you, PM me and I will myself.

You can expect the typical VW-Audi product to run fairly reliably except for a higher-than-average rate of electrical glitches with things like wiring, light bulbs, connectors, fuses, etc.....

I strongly recommend two things...First, a product called SCRATCH-OUT. It is only a few dollars a bottle...available at some drug stores and auto parts shops.
http://www.kitwax.com/html/kitProducts.htm
Rubs on and off like wax..... It will take off all kinds of surface scratches and other paint problems...as long as they are not too deep.....and keep the finish just like new.
Second, in this age of super high gas prices, many people are tempted to run cheap cut-rate brands of gas just to save a few cents a gallon. Don't. Most of those El Cheapo brands don't have a good detergent additive, so their continued use will plug up the fuel injectors and engine intakes with carbon, gum, varnish, and other problems....so the money you save now will be spent later in a fuel system cleaning. Chevron gas, if available in your area, has a good Techroline detergent package....so does BP/Amoco, Exxon/Mobil, and Shell V-Power.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-21-05 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-21-05, 02:28 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I've known many people with VW's who have no problems at all. I like the looks and ergonomics and interior finish of VW's. They're fairly high priced in the U.S. but they're still nice.

What year GTi are you getting?

Oh and having an SC300 and now a GTi before you even turn 17!? That's amazing!
a VW Jetta or a Golf isn't a bad car, just the window regulators and coil packs are known issues on those.

I would consider getting a Jetta VR6 if something happened to my Lexus. As much as I like how well the car treats me, i just need something with a bit more soul in it.