Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hahaha ok, 997 is gaining points from me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default hahaha ok, 997 is gaining points from me!

well, i hate to say but i guess i am starting to slide over a bit so yesterday i got to really look at a 997 carrera-s in details.

by really studying the exterior, it actually looks very smooth, and definitely more aggressive than the 996. but i still have to say, i miss the 996 headlights more than the 997 but overall, it's better afte i see it up close

the interior is sooooo much better than the 996 imho. it's more modern, everything is very smooth, the quality is better too. the upgraded bose audio is sooo awesome, i love it. and everything is really nice, i am very impressed when i sat in it. the seats are very comfortable, and the support is just perfect. the stop watch in the middle is kinda funny, need some getting used to i guess

and of course...... i got to drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's still in break in so i couldn't go pass 4000rpm, but let me tell you, that car is stupidly fast! as soon as it passes 3000rpm it's a rocket! very very powerful and the car pulls crazy! the clutch is pretty tight but very easy to drive, and the shifter is just awesome, short, but very precise. you really can't get much better. and steering is very heavy and tight, which is perfect for a performance car. and let me give big props to the brakes as well, those are some massive powerful stoppers man, i went gentle on them since they are so new but they stop so fast already

oh, and did i say anything about the exhaust? that's so damn sexy. loud, mean, aggressive, roar. i can't imagine what it would sound like when it's at 7k rpm

the car has definitely gained a lot of points from me. only the s model though, the fender flares in the back makes the car look a lot different. hands down, one sick car!

indeed, now if you put the 996 turbo and 997 carrera-s in front of me, it's going to be a hard choice
Old 08-19-05, 06:52 AM
MoFunk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're saying you'd have a hard time picking between the 996 TT and the 997 S?

uh-huh.
Old 08-19-05, 07:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
. . . indeed, now if you put the 996 turbo and 997 carrera-s in front of me, it's going to be a hard choice
I thought I read somewhere that as good as the 997 S has become, you don't need the turbo

Which do you prefer, RWD vs. AWD ?
Old 08-19-05, 09:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

So how about that house? LOL
Old 08-19-05, 09:31 AM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE the 997! My unc just ordered one. Thinking about picking up one some time next year....
Old 08-19-05, 11:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

to be honest i don't really feel much about awd. probably handling better but i don't drive like a track car normally anyway. and the 997 s is pretty much on par with the 996 gt3, and if you go to porsche boards, a lot of people actually prefer the gt3 over the 996 turbo in terms of performance. now the turbo probably has more of a daily driver feel in it i guess

either case, it's a wishful dream for me anyway, at 100k loaded with decent options, it's just totally out of the question now
Old 08-19-05, 11:22 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

I'm thinking about buying a used 911. Are there any good porsche boards I can check out?
Old 08-19-05, 11:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

6speedonline
rennlist

couple other that i forgot, they are on my bookmark
Old 08-19-05, 11:57 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

So Henry, you're trading the GS in for a 997S, now thats an upgrade
Old 08-19-05, 12:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no i am not, i didn't say the car was mine

having the sc430 already, getting the 997 as well will be suicide. both of them are coupes, and basically 2 seaters. my parents will be the first ones to kill me
Old 08-19-05, 12:42 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
no i am not, i didn't say the car was mine

having the sc430 already, getting the 997 as well will be suicide. both of them are coupes, and basically 2 seaters. my parents will be the first ones to kill me
Henry, you wussy!!!!!
Old 08-19-05, 09:41 PM
LexFather

[QUOTE=rominl]well, i hate to say but i guess i am starting to slide over a bit so yesterday i got to really look at a 997 carrera-s in details.

by really studying the exterior, it actually looks very smooth, and definitely more aggressive than the 996. but i still have to say, i miss the 996 headlights more than the 997 but overall, it's better afte i see it up close

the interior is sooooo much better than the 996 imho. it's more modern, everything is very smooth, the quality is better too. the upgraded bose audio is sooo awesome, i love it. and everything is really nice, i am very impressed when i sat in it. the seats are very comfortable, and the support is just perfect. the stop watch in the middle is kinda funny, need some getting used to i guess

and of course...... i got to drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's still in break in so i couldn't go pass 4000rpm, but let me tell you, that car is stupidly fast! as soon as it passes 3000rpm it's a rocket! very very powerful and the car pulls crazy! the clutch is pretty tight but very easy to drive, and the shifter is just awesome, short, but very precise. you really can't get much better. and steering is very heavy and tight, which is perfect for a performance car. and let me give big props to the brakes as well, those are some massive powerful stoppers man, i went gentle on them since they are so new but they stop so fast already

oh, and did i say anything about the exhaust? that's so damn sexy. loud, mean, aggressive, roar. i can't imagine what it would sound like when it's at 7k rpm

the car has definitely gained a lot of points from me. only the s model though, the fender flares in the back makes the car look a lot different. hands down, one sick car!

indeed, now if you put the 996 turbo and 997 carrera-s in front of me, it's going to be a ?

Old 08-20-05, 09:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

997 4S is my top choice for my next car but not soon!
Old 08-20-05, 11:43 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Mine too, but only in my dreams, LOL.
Old 08-22-05, 05:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
"soon"
And I drove Krista's 996, write-up to come soon.

Quick Reply: hahaha ok, 997 is gaining points from me!