Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study Finds Rising Gas Prices WILL CHANGE Consumers Buying and Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
Well, that one is a little over budget for me.
How about this?

Old 08-23-05, 11:26 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
How about this?

That looks about right, Paul
Old 08-23-05, 11:36 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

An amusing thought...seeing lots of people riding bicycles. Put that flowery basket on the front of the handlebars and I'm ready for a Costco trip.

For us...I do like past...I combine a trip out for the most efficieny. When have a client...I adjust my fees to factor in the miles with a percentage to allow for pump increases. I won't be considering a car anytime soon, at least not an econo box.
Old 08-23-05, 11:50 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They wasted money and time to figure out that there was going to be a shift in habits because of the rising gas prices? IDIOTS!!!!
Old 08-23-05, 02:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

There's more holes in that report than swiss cheese.

At current gas price levels:

* 55 percent of respondents will change the type of vehicle they drive when they buy.
Talk is cheap among just over half (55%) of the whopping '500' people they interviewed. Where do those 260 people live? If in a city with major traffic, a hybrid or more efficient car makes more sense because owning a performance or other gas guzzling vehicle makes less sense. If they're in rural areas, smaller vehicles and even hybrids often make no sense. It also just says they'll change, it doesn't say to what.

* 59 percent will drive less.
This has been said every time gas has become expensive, and it's only temporary. Moreover, urban fascist planners would love people to drive less, especially those in Europe, but it has NEVER WORKED. Even at over $6 a gallon people still drive whenever they want, unless they really are broke.

* 40 percent of respondents will delay their next vehicle purchase.
That seems more likely simply because disposable income is pinched as gas prices rise. But if they delay their purchase then they're not buying a more efficient vehicle either.

"As expected, sales are down in the major gas- guzzling segments: traditional large cars and full-size sport utility vehicles. In May of this year, new retail registrations of these vehicles are down 27 percent from a year ago."
Yes, but he's talking about yesterday's data. When the big three then did their 'employee price gimmick', a bigger percentage of the skyrocketing sales were TRUCKS AND SUVs and not 'fuel efficient' shoe boxes.

Virtually all respondents (99 percent) nationwide have noticed the price of gas rise over the past 12 months. Consumer awareness of gas prices is high.
Means nothing.

Eighty-eight percent of respondents believe dependence on foreign oil has increased dramatically in the past five years.
And they'd be wrong!

Consumers recognize that they have choices when facing increasing fuel expenses. The easiest choice, driving less, is a potential solution for 59 percent of respondents.
Potential, but not likely. Cars are too useful. In hot and cold areas of the country people won't walk or stand outside for a bus.

Hybrid cars, with both gas and electric engines, are appealing to many people.
Appealing but the prices are high and availability is tiny right now.

The majority of respondents in the study (84 percent) said they would consider buying or leasing a hybrid car or truck.
Means nothing.

Consumers in the Western region felt strongest on this issue, with 88 percent saying they would consider a hybrid, whereas only 74 percent of Northeasterners agreed.
'only 74' a whopping 14% less than the 88% in the west. This whole study is a bunch of fluff.

Switching to a smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicle is the obvious choice for many.
But obvious isn't what people do most of the time.

"According to Polk's consumer loyalty information, we see that loyalty among owners of large cars and full-size SUVs has dropped more than that of any other vehicle segment over the past year," said Miller. "More consumers are opting out of these gas guzzlers for compact SUVs and midsize cars."
How much did the 'loyalty' drop?

Even midsize SUV owners are "downsizing" their vehicles. Defection rates from this segment to compact SUVs are 42 percent higher than those to the full-size SUVs.
But if defection rates 'to' full size SUVs were 1% then defection rates the other way were 1.42%. Big whoop.

There's lies, bigger lies, and then there's statistics.

Respondents with lower incomes were about 50 percent more likely to be actively looking to change their vehicle to a more fuel-efficient model than their higher income counterparts. They were also nearly 40 percent more likely to delay their next vehicle purchase if gas prices continue to rise.
Are those more likely to be changing the same as those looking to delay their purchase!? Doesn't the latter make the former less relevant?
Old 08-23-05, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
How so? I read in some automotive publication that the Honda system was actually a much simpler system, thus making it useable with virtually any current Honda engine family. .
Yes, the first Honda IMA systems in the 2000 Insight and the later Civic Hybrid WERE simpler than the Toyota system in the Prius...primarily because the Honda IMA system was basically an electric motor hooked to a gas engine that provided backup power, shut the gas engine off at stops periodically, and was recharged by the gas engine....in other words, a series-system. The Toyota system has a more complex computer and regulators and can switch 100% power back and forth from the gas to the electric engine as needed...a parallel system.
Old 08-23-05, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Has no one posted the obvious here?

Since this thread is primarily about gas buying habits with the higher prices, unless I'm missing something here ( and please correct me if I am ), no one has posted the obvious conclusion....so I will.
One thing we are SURE to see is an increase in pumpjacking and pump-and-run incidents....you can bet the monthly rent on it. A guy in a 400 HP Corvette or GTO isn't going to have much trouble getting away from a gas station in a HURRY if the road is clear, with little traffic and no police.
Many gas station owners are going to have to beef up security...maybe hiring extra people to take down license numbers of those who fill up there. This, of course, will cost money and may drive up gas prices even MORE....creating even MORE attempts to steal it. It could end up a rather vicious circle.
Old 08-23-05, 04:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

it changed mine, unfortunately .
Old 08-23-05, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DC52E55
it changed mine, unfortunately .
How? And in what way? That's what this thread is about.
Old 08-23-05, 04:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Since this thread is primarily about gas buying habits with the higher prices, unless I'm missing something here ( and please correct me if I am ), no one has posted the obvious conclusion....so I will.
One thing we are SURE to see is an increase in pumpjacking and pump-and-run incidents....you can bet the monthly rent on it. A guy in a 400 HP Corvette or GTO isn't going to have much trouble getting away from a gas station in a HURRY if the road is clear, with little traffic and no police.
Many gas station owners are going to have to beef up security...maybe hiring extra people to take down license numbers of those who fill up there. This, of course, will cost money and may drive up gas prices even MORE....creating even MORE attempts to steal it. It could end up a rather vicious circle.
Link : Rising gasoline prices spur thefts, violence
Old 08-23-05, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, Amethy.....I read that story earlier today when AOL did a write-up on it. Unfortunately, I'm afraid there will be more to come. Needless to say, I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 08-23-05, 06:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How do you steal gas???

Pumps do not run unless they are activated by credit card or cashier (after payment).
At least this is true of the hundreds of pumps I've used in the Northeast.