Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study Finds Rising Gas Prices WILL CHANGE Consumers Buying and Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 12:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Study Finds Rising Gas Prices WILL CHANGE Consumers Buying and Driving

Consumers say they have had enough, vehicle purchase choices to change

At current gas price levels: * 55 percent of respondents will change the type of vehicle they drive when they buy. * 59 percent will drive less. * 40 percent of respondents will delay their next vehicle purchase.

SOUTHFIELD, Mich., Aug. 22 -- Consumers are telling auto manufacturers they want fuel-efficient vehicles; they are reducing how much they drive and they will factor the price of gas into decisions concerning both the timing and type of vehicles they purchase, according to results from a public opinion poll and forthcoming study by the Polk Center for Automotive Studies.

"These consumer attitudes are well supported by Polk's registration information," said Lonnie Miller, director of industry analysis for the Polk Center for Automotive Studies. "As expected, sales are down in the major gas- guzzling segments: traditional large cars and full-size sport utility vehicles. In May of this year, new retail registrations of these vehicles are down 27 percent from a year ago."

Between news accounts and driver reaction to prices paid at the pump, the effect of increased gas prices is inescapable. Virtually all respondents (99 percent) nationwide have noticed the price of gas rise over the past 12 months. Consumer awareness of gas prices is high. Eighty-eight percent of respondents believe dependence on foreign oil has increased dramatically in the past five years.

Consumers recognize that they have choices when facing increasing fuel expenses. The easiest choice, driving less, is a potential solution for 59 percent of respondents. Hybrid cars, with both gas and electric engines, are appealing to many people. The majority of respondents in the study (84 percent) said they would consider buying or leasing a hybrid car or truck. Consumers in the Western region felt strongest on this issue, with 88 percent saying they would consider a hybrid, whereas only 74 percent of Northeasterners agreed.

Switching to a smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicle is the obvious choice for many. "According to Polk's consumer loyalty information, we see that loyalty among owners of large cars and full-size SUVs has dropped more than that of any other vehicle segment over the past year," said Miller. "More consumers are opting out of these gas guzzlers for compact SUVs and midsize cars."

Even midsize SUV owners are "downsizing" their vehicles. Defection rates from this segment to compact SUVs are 42 percent higher than those to the full-size SUVs.

Regional Intentions

While rising fuel prices impact consumers nationwide, the study also notes regional and income trends.

"Certain parts of the population will feel the effects of skyrocketing fuel prices more than others," said Jeff Martini, vice president, Polk Center for Automotive Studies. "These groups are more likely to take action as a result."

More respondents in the Western region (61 percent) reported that fuel prices will affect their next vehicle choice, whereas Midwesterners are most likely to delay their next vehicle purchase. Regarding vehicle choice and purchase timing, Northeasterners were consistently least likely to change their behavior.

Not surprisingly, income level also makes a difference in how consumers respond to rising fuel costs.

"Lower income households will bear more than their share of the rising prices' impact. Seventy-six percent of lower income respondents reported that they will drive less compared to 49 percent of higher income households," said Martini.

Respondents with lower incomes were about 50 percent more likely to be actively looking to change their vehicle to a more fuel-efficient model than their higher income counterparts. They were also nearly 40 percent more likely to delay their next vehicle purchase if gas prices continue to rise.

About the Study

A total of 500 vehicle owners, age 21 and older from across the U.S., participated in this study and provided views on this discussion.

source : theautochannel
Old 08-22-05, 01:15 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Real americans" live in the midwest "Americas heartland", we ain't gonna get rid of our trucks and SUVs for smaller cars. Let all those traitors in the west coasts stop our dependent on forin oil. We're going to continue driving these huge things like the worlds going to end tomorow, $5 gas price be dam.
Old 08-22-05, 01:41 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm allready looking for something a bit cheaper on the gas.
Old 08-22-05, 02:04 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie

RX400H Richie!!!!!!
Old 08-22-05, 02:36 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richie
That's why the IS350 looks really promising for me.
Old 08-22-05, 02:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

we are going to look at the prius really closely this weekend
Old 08-22-05, 02:49 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkorsu
RX400H Richie!!!!!!
Well, that one is a little over budget for me.
Old 08-22-05, 04:25 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Comeon y'all, we all know it's the poor people who'll suffer tha most and needs to do the most adjustment in their lifestyle. What's another $60 for gas a month for those who are well off? Nothing!! Their kids cell-phone bill already exceeds that.
Old 08-22-05, 04:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
"Real americans" live in the midwest.

There's so much I'd like to say to that but I'm not starting a war. That's middle America's job.
Old 08-22-05, 04:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
"Real americans" live in the midwest "Americas heartland", we ain't gonna get rid of our trucks and SUVs for smaller cars. Let all those traitors in the west coasts stop our dependent on forin oil. We're going to continue driving these huge things like the worlds going to end tomorow, $5 gas price be dam.
Can u clarify what a "real" American is?

Old 08-22-05, 05:02 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Can u clarify what a "real" American is?
Apparently someone who creates division between people of the same nationality. Nothing proves your superiority like ripping on your peers.
Old 08-22-05, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm afraid that many people, because they either can't afford a new car....even an econobox......or otherwise have poor credit and can't get a good car loan....will instead take the easy, cheap way out by just buying lower-octane gas than is recommended (or needed) or filling up with cut-rate brands instead.
Yes.....Smiling Sam's EconoGas down the street may LOOK good on the pump with a slightly lower price, ( especially compared to a notoriously expensive brand like Exxon) but what are you actually GETTING? Are you getting a good detergent additive to keep the engine and fuel injectors clean? Is it free of water or other impurities? Is it REALLY the octane posted? (detonation and pinging certainly won't do your pistons any good) It is really worth taking chances with your engine, gas tank, and fuel system just to save a few cents a gallon?

Not in my book.

In fact, if you look around you can sometimes find good brands like Chevron with Techroline, Shell V-Power, or BP/Amoco, which has always been high quality, for prices almost as low as the El Cheapo stations...especially on weekends when gas stations often have price wars.
Old 08-22-05, 06:26 PM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

the research is really in support of the long term vision and far sightedness of toyota/lexus in developing the hybrid motor!!!!

i heard toyota/lexus had made a statement that by 201x most cars will by made hybrid from them!!!!
Old 08-22-05, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by redkingjoe
the research is really in support of the long term vision and far sightedness of toyota/lexus in developing the hybrid motor!!!!

i heard toyota/lexus had made a statement that by 201x most cars will by made hybrid from them!!!!
Honda actually developed its own IMA hybrid system before Toyota did....and beat Toyota to market in the U.S. with the first Insight by some 6-8 months. However, the Toyota / Lexus system, granted, is more flexible and can be adapted to a wider range of driving conditions.
Old 08-23-05, 08:14 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda actually developed its own IMA hybrid system before Toyota did....and beat Toyota to market in the U.S. with the first Insight by some 6-8 months. However, the Toyota / Lexus system, granted, is more flexible and can be adapted to a wider range of driving conditions.
How so? I read in some automotive publication that the Honda system was actually a much simpler system, thus making it useable with virtually any current Honda engine family. Of course I don't have the magazine here, and I don't remember the specifics as to why they opinionated that the system was better, but I believe it had to due with the design of the flywheel. Anybody else know what I'm talking about or read that article? I'm just curious what all these opinions are based on.

Quick Reply: Study Finds Rising Gas Prices WILL CHANGE Consumers Buying and Driving