Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bugatti Veyron 1st official review

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-05, 06:51 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
What makes you think so?

A combined mileage of 20L/100km = 11.76mpg sounds just about right for a car in its class.Such a big fuss because it is the first production car that achieves all this. Sure, anyone can mod a car to one very extreme such as acceleration, top speed or handling, just to beat the Veyron in one aspect. But when one car can do it all, it's called a technological marvel. Better yet, it comes with a full manufacturer warranty, meaning it has at least the minimum reliability that the manufacturer dares to cover its warranty with.Just because there's no track times/handling data given doesn't mean this car can't handle. Come on, it is mid-engined, all-wheel-drive, with HUGE (12"-wide 21" rear and 8.5"-wide 20" front) wheels and a speed-sensitive aerodynamic wing that provides massive downforce. How can you expect it to handle in a way that's anything less than spectacular?
Weight its very heavy. I do expect it to handle well but not the best...
Old 08-26-05, 08:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Edmunds Exclusive Spy Video and Photos: 2006 Bugatti Veyron

Text & Video HERE
Old 08-26-05, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

LOVE that color. When the Miata first came out in 1989 it had an almost identical shade called Mariner Blue....which it kept for a couple of years.
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/259516/12
Old 08-26-05, 09:23 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow I find the original two-tone in black and red more appealing. The original wheels look better too. In any case this thing is simply amazing any way you look at it.
Old 08-26-05, 12:58 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I would like to hear the engine a bit more.
Impressive car from an technical standpoint.
Old 08-26-05, 05:14 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A cool car, to be sure. Loved it when the original concept appeared.

Mattel already makes a Hot Wheels version of this car in black & red... but Bugatti still hasn't produced the car yet.

They been teasing us for years with this car... Strangely, the body style is already looking old.
I have lost interest in this car, frankly.
Old 08-27-05, 07:53 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

Mattel already makes a Hot Wheels version of this car in black & red... but Bugatti still hasn't produced the car yet.

They been teasing us for years with this car... Strangely, the body style is already looking old.
So Bob, you're not getting it now
Old 08-27-05, 09:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

THank you. I am with the "who cares now' movement.

Old 08-27-05, 04:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree it's taken a long time for Bugatti to get this thing out...and it still isn't in the showrooms yet. I'm still anticipating it for a couple reasons.
1000 bhp in a factory car with a warranty is news worthy.
This car is about excess. To some extent most of us who mod our cars are too. Basically, all you need is a basic car to get around. Modding is an excessive expression in it's purest form. No mod is necessary. For this reason, anyone with a modders heart should appreciate this car.
To me it's beautiful. Hopefully it will be a good driver and I can't wait o hear the reports from people who have tested it.
Old 08-27-05, 08:00 PM
Order66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think the EB110 from the mid 90's was better looking. It was a little more realistic as well.
Old 08-27-05, 09:57 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THank you. I am with the "who cares now' movement.
I don't understand why some of you can downplay an achievement like this just because the production was delayed for a couple of years.

FWIW, it is outright THE fastest production car in the world ever. Its top speed of 400kph beats the next fastest Koenigsegg CCR's 388kph by a cool 12kph. That's a lot. What's more incredible is that this same car is also one of the fastest accelerating production cars in the world, with a 0-100kph time of 2.5s, beating the CCR's 3.2s by 0.7s! You know it's easy to optimize a car for either top speed or acceleration, but hardly both. This is one car that has it all. It is a complete package. The fact it has a sophisticated 1001bhp, 1250Nm@2200rpm quad-turbo 16-cylinder engine covered with warranty is reason enough to tip our hats off to it. No matter how you slice it, it is simply an incredible engineering feat, a technological wonder, a state-of-art masterpiece and a major milestone in the automotive history. Let's show some respect.
Old 08-28-05, 03:17 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand why some of you can downplay an achievement like this just because the production was delayed for a couple of years.

FWIW, it is outright THE fastest production car in the world ever. Its top speed of 400kph beats the next fastest Koenigsegg CCR's 388kph by a cool 12kph. That's a lot. What's more incredible is that this same car is also one of the fastest accelerating production cars in the world, with a 0-100kph time of 2.5s, beating the CCR's 3.2s by 0.7s! You know it's easy to optimize a car for either top speed or acceleration, but hardly both. This is one car that has it all. It is a complete package. The fact it has a sophisticated 1001bhp, 1250Nm@2200rpm quad-turbo 16-cylinder engine covered with warranty is reason enough to tip our hats off to it. No matter how you slice it, it is simply an incredible engineering feat, a technological wonder, a state-of-art masterpiece and a major milestone in the automotive history. Let's show some respect.
The CCR's top speed was measured on a banked oval. I am sure it will be faster if tested on a long straight like they tested the Veyron on.
Old 08-28-05, 05:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As an expression of the state of the art in automotive engineering - what CAN be done without a special dispensation from the laws of physics, the Veyron is a marvel . . . even though I stand about as much chance of owning or driving one as I do the space shuttle.
Old 08-28-05, 07:35 AM
LexFather

Sorry, I am not impressed. GIve Toyota or Honda or BMW or hell any company and unlimited budget and some numbers to attain. The car would have came to the market years ago.

Is it incredible. Yes, no doubting that. But its a sports car, and a PIG at that, over 4,000 LBS!!!

Why is it so easy for people to get excited about HP but not about low weight. Hell we have 1,000 HP Supras running around. When u think of it, its not that big a deal. There are 1,000 HP Sylines and EVOs too.

I would be MUCH MORE impressed if they could have figured how to keep the weight down, instead the PIG got heavier and heavier and they kept adding wings and ducts and more power to compensate.

That is NOT Rocket Science.

The fact is, Bugatti is just another old auto name (Think Maybach, etc) that someone bought and is trying to give back its heritage when to be honest, no one cares anymore.

Old 08-28-05, 07:37 AM
LexFather

And that is why this

Totally ownsz anything, ever made, even though it is now over 10 years old.

Quick Reply: Bugatti Veyron 1st official review