Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM about 15yrs ago had this car....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 08:41 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM about 15yrs ago had this car....

my dad use to work for an oil company back maybe 10yrs ago and he met this guy who worked at General Motors..well today my dad and i ran into the dude that worked at GM, with all this gases pricing sky rocketing he told us that while he was working at GM he worked on this special car (about 15yrs ago)... being one of the engineers he got to test drive the car, the man drove the car home etc. for a whole week without filling it up.. he told us that his commute was easily 45mins each way... after a week GM pulled the car and redesigned the engine ... after that day the car was never the same... the man told my dad that most ppl that worked with him knew what happened and despised what GM did.. the man told us that they had built an engine that conserved so much fuel that the oil industry would have taken a huge loss if they had mass produced this vehicle.. i plan to do some more research but as for right now what a good teaser eh?
Old 08-23-05, 08:44 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's believeable. I read an article about 10 years ago in one of those science magazines about how they had designed cars that therotically could run forever with minimal maintenance. The article also said that the car would never be mass produced due to the affect it would have on the automotive aftermarket industry as well as OEM parts sales.
Old 08-23-05, 08:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Same theory is why people die from diseases. It's like funding anything isn't worth it anymore. The drug company scene is even higher up in the food chain than transportation. If you don't stay sick, they don't get paid.
Old 08-23-05, 09:07 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's most fuel efficient car.
Old 08-23-05, 09:47 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Too Good to be True . . .

This is a Urban Legand that's been around almost as long as the automobile itself. Try Googling "Fish Carburetor", "Condensator", or "Vitalyser" for some of the earliest versions of the same story. Some guy working the late shift in a prestigious research department (or an oddball tinkerer working in his wife's kitchen) discovers the equivalent of cold fusion for the automobile - but the evil oil companies, auto manufacturers, or government hushes him up and destroys the documentation.

The same story seems to surface about every ten to fifteen years - whenever there's a price spike at the pump. Huge increases in power are reported, along with fantastic fuel mileage - the result of a relatively simple gadget with a lot of voodoo science behind it.. You may recognize some of these products still being hawked today in late-night infomercials.

Think about it. If GM (or any other automaker) really developed a technology that would dramatically improve fuel economy, don't you think they'd put it on the market? GM could literally have a monopoly in automobile and light truck production, putting not just the other US manufacturers, but ALL other manufacturers out of business in a matter of months. Considering the present position of GM stockholders, I'd think they'd lynch the first individual who withheld the vital information on a corporation-saving technology like this. The owners of the small "one-man shops" that are also connected to these amazing discoveries could have retired billionaires - if their inventions had actually worked - instead of making fools of themselves on cable night after night for mere "pennies".
Old 08-23-05, 10:40 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

well, Honda has it now. But the only problem is that these thing costs so much to make and they have to change the entire infrastructure to make it more pratical.

http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/
Old 08-23-05, 11:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Think about it. If GM (or any other automaker) really developed a technology that would dramatically improve fuel economy, don't you think they'd put it on the market?
No, there are plenty of other factors that can halt production.
Old 08-23-05, 11:17 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
No, there are plenty of other factors that can halt production.
Exactly.....And while there are many Urban Myths floating around for various reasons on array of topics, business is business and that is why any fuel efficient/super low maintenance car has not yet made it to the consumer. As was also stated that is why we stilll have various diseases/ailments today as it spurs the economy. Look at America's "war on drugs", crime is great for business as it benefits both the private sector and government.
Old 08-23-05, 11:39 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Well it's a different reason though.

This proposed super engine would rock, they wouldn't make it because of the infrastructure. What the hoax is trying to hint at isn't a lack of infrastructure but just because of another companies profits.
Old 08-24-05, 12:24 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GM actually manufactured this car... it was the Prizm, an American counterpart of the Corolla j/k
Old 08-24-05, 07:02 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheRupp
GM actually manufactured this car... it was the Prizm, an American counterpart of the Corolla j/k
so true
the prizm and corolla (93-96) were indestructible
Old 08-24-05, 08:01 AM
Koma

Wasn't the prizm an exact rebadge of the Corolla? (same engine, chassis, body)
Just with blacked out tails...
Old 08-24-05, 08:37 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
Wasn't the prizm an exact rebadge of the Corolla? (same engine, chassis, body)
Just with blacked out tails...
Yes, but it was lighter due to use of less sound deadening material... for all those auto weight super **** people.
Old 08-24-05, 05:55 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I don't know too much about the details, but my grandfather who reached the rank of Sanitary Engineering Director (equivalent to Captain in the Navy) in the Public Health Service told me about his involvment with a project that was never published, where they could make a car run sufficiently and efficiently on coal. The coal could be used in a liquid form, or granulated I believe, but due to reasons I can't remember, it was shut down and never developed further. Next time I see him, I'll make sure to ask him so I can fill you in on the details such as what year, what company if any, mileage, etc.

James
Old 08-24-05, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
This is a Urban Legand that's been around almost as long as the automobile itself. Try Googling "Fish Carburetor", "Condensator", or "Vitalyser" for some of the earliest versions of the same story. Some guy working the late shift in a prestigious research department (or an oddball tinkerer working in his wife's kitchen) discovers the equivalent of cold fusion for the automobile - but the evil oil companies, auto manufacturers, or government hushes him up and destroys the documentation.

The same story seems to surface about every ten to fifteen years - whenever there's a price spike at the pump. Huge increases in power are reported, along with fantastic fuel mileage - the result of a relatively simple gadget with a lot of voodoo science behind it.. You may recognize some of these products still being hawked today in late-night infomercials.

Think about it. If GM (or any other automaker) really developed a technology that would dramatically improve fuel economy, don't you think they'd put it on the market? GM could literally have a monopoly in automobile and light truck production, putting not just the other US manufacturers, but ALL other manufacturers out of business in a matter of months. Considering the present position of GM stockholders, I'd think they'd lynch the first individual who withheld the vital information on a corporation-saving technology like this. The owners of the small "one-man shops" that are also connected to these amazing discoveries could have retired billionaires - if their inventions had actually worked - instead of making fools of themselves on cable night after night for mere "pennies".

Lil, as usual, is correct. Snake-oil stories are a dime a dozen.

Quick Reply: GM about 15yrs ago had this car....