Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you could put a manual in ANY car, that doesn't offer it, what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 04:10 PM
LexFather

Default If you could put a manual in ANY car, that doesn't offer it, what would it be?

In all honesty, I would LOVE to row the gears in a GS 430. Sign me up for that. I know there are way more desirable cars out there but, that is my choice.

And the M3 CSL and the CLK DTM. Both only available with SMG/auto.

Old 08-25-05, 05:02 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

acura 3.2 tl type s.. it comes manual in japan.. but if they would give it here, that would be great.
Old 08-25-05, 05:07 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS400/430... 100% without a doubt...

Oh and maybe the SL/CL/S 65 AMG
Old 08-25-05, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm generally not a fan of manual trannies, especially in urban, congested areas, but if I had to pick only ONE car that does not offer one and REALLY needs one, it would not be the GS430 but the new upcoming IS350. It is ludicrous, IMO, even though the new IS250 WILL have a manual, for Lexus to advertise the new IS350 as a 3-series fighter and then make the SAME mistake with the new 350 that it made 4-5 years ago with the 2001 IS300....and the same mistake that Infiniti made with the G35 when it was introduced...the lack of a manual.

( flipside/ Ryan: .....if you're on the channel here.....you have ins with Lexus marketing. Why did they decide to make the same omission here they did in 2001? Didn't they learn their lesson back then? )

I'm going to have to cheat a little here, Mike....sorry.
There is ONE more car that REALLY needs a manual badly and doesn't have one.....the Lincoln LS. This car was introduced in 1999, and at the time was one of the best American-designed sedans on the road. It, too, was introduced, like a lot of sport sedans, as a BMW-fighter, but at first confined the manual transmission ONLY to the V6 with Sport package....NOT the V8.
Lincoln not only ignored the criticism for this by NOT adding the manual transmission to the V8 like it should have, but then made an even worse decision by DROPPING it altogether from the V6 as well.....only automatics are sold now.
As a result , BMW....even with the lousy Chris Bangle cars.......is clobbering it in the marketplace.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-05 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 05:31 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I don't think anything would beat shifting a 6 speed twin turbo V12 while driving the SL65. The GS would be fun, as would an RS6, but the SL65 gets my vote.

James
Old 08-25-05, 05:35 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm going to have to cheat a little here, Mike....sorry.
There is ONE more car that REALLY needs a manual badly and doesn't have one.....the Lincoln LS. This car was introduced in 1999, and at the time was one of the best American-designed sedans on the road. It, too, was introduced, like a lot of sport sedans, as a BMW-fighter, but at first confined the manual transmission ONLY to the V6 with Sport package....NOT the V8.
Lincoln not only ignored the criticism for this by NOT adding the manual transmission to the V8 like it should have, but then made an even worse decision by DROPPING it altogether from the V6 as well.....only automatics are sold now.
As a result , BMW....even with the lousy Chris Bangle cars.......is clobbering it in the marketplace.
I totally agree with you mmarshall. The LS, based off of the Mustang with the decent engine could really use a manual V8. They're really quite good looking in my opinion and have heard good things about the getrag transmission in the V6.

James
Old 08-25-05, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
I don't think anything would beat shifting a 6 speed twin turbo V12 while driving the SL65. The GS would be fun, as would an RS6, but the SL65 gets my vote.

James
That engine has so much torque I think it would be difficult to design a smooth clutch for it.
The T/C and stability control would be constantly dialing back the power through the clutch or working the brakes...and the clutch would end up vibrating. Even with the electronics turned off, the BIG torque would probably cause other clutch problems as well. I don't think M-B owners shelling out 100K-plus for a car would put up with that.....they have to put up with enough other M-B problems.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-05 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 05:40 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by workaholic
acura 3.2 tl type s.. it comes manual in japan.. but if they would give it here, that would be great.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the last year (or maybe even two) of the CL-S offer a manual option?
Old 08-25-05, 05:43 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That engine has so much torque I think it would be difficult to design a smooth clutch for it.
The T/C and stability control would be constantly dialing back the power through the clutch or working the brakes...and the clutch would end up vibrating. I don't think M-B owners shelling out 100K-plus for a car would put up with that.....they have to put up with enough other M-B problems.
Yeah this is true, and with 738 lb-ft in front of that clutch it would probably be far too stiff for a luxury car, but man would that be fun just to take it to a track for a day and feel that launch!

James
Old 08-25-05, 06:00 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK OK OK I THINK I GOTTA WINNER....

.... SLR! HOW NASTY! 50/50 weight distrubition, supercharged 5.5 V8. Side port exhaust, variable spoiler, gull wing doors... Oh man that car would be sexcellent if it had a 6 speed manny.
Old 08-25-05, 06:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the last year (or maybe even two) of the CL-S offer a manual option?
Absolutely, I had one
Old 08-25-05, 06:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

My choice right now would be the IS350 too, & hopefully they would make a coupe version.
Old 08-25-05, 06:20 PM
wiz2
Rookie

GS400/430 with a 6 speed ...PERIOD !

Thre would be no more BMWhat or Mercewho comparisons. I like them all,but I would love that car.
Old 08-25-05, 06:29 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm voting along with the guys who said the GS. as long as i've been a lexus fan, i've been disappointed in the lack of manual options, especially in the GS. i'd hit that in a heartbeat.
Old 08-25-05, 06:41 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

AMG anything

Quick Reply: If you could put a manual in ANY car, that doesn't offer it, what would it be?