Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TCC Previews the 2007 Mercedes S-Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 11:23 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see similar wheel arches on the ML as well. Could this be part of a new design direction for the company?? I just hope MB is not trying to follow Bangle.
Old 08-31-05, 11:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BrickHead
I see similar wheel arches on the ML as well. Could this be part of a new design direction for the company?? I just hope MB is not trying to follow Bangle.
Just look at the dash of the new S and the trunk for your answer

Old 08-31-05, 12:09 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wheel arch thing is gonna be a major design influence on ALL new Benzes as far as I can see. The S, the M, and even spy shots I've seen of the new CL. That is my most hated part of the cars too, glad it's gonna be that common

That's a good point too mmarshall considering the mountain of torque that the V12 bi-turbo makes.

James
Old 08-31-05, 12:26 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the pics of the new S and E makes me believe there must be a new chief designer at MB. Bangle's cousin??
Old 08-31-05, 01:50 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think it is just a transmission durability issue...although that, of course, is a significant matter. The good thing, though, is that the V12, with its massive torque, doesn't NEED as many gears as the less-powerful V8. Unfortunately, this is a rare exception here.....usually most automakers do just the opposite. They hang MORE gears on their MORE powerful engines instead of the LESS powerful ones....ridiculous, IMO, considering that in general, a normally-aspirated smaller engine will have less power than an larger one, and the smaller engine usually gets the less-complex transmission, contrary to what it NEEDS.
Oh, well......welcome to the world of auto marketing. It never has and never will make sense.
It makes plenty of sense. When you've got a high-margin premium model (or trim) - of course it's going to have all the bells and whistles. New technology is nearly always applied to premium products before base products.

If a C280 came with a 7 speed and the S55 came with a 4 speed - consumers would have a problem not to mention the auto mags.

I understand your point, however, of the base-level, lower-yeild-powerplant equiped models poised to benefit more from that technology than would a higher-powered vehicle.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 08-31-05 at 01:54 PM.