Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should the LS be killed?
Yes - nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, good-bye
37.14%
Nah, keep it - I always kinda liked it for some reason, like my friend's little sister
54.29%
Maybe - Don't they at least need to save it so they can rebadge it for Jaguar
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

The Lincoln LS will be killed after the 2006 model year.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-05, 09:31 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always liked the styling of the car. I remember when I saw one for the first time in Virginia Beach and I pulled up next to the lady in the grocery store lot. I was in awe and thought it was gorgeous. I asked her what her car was. When I later got in one, i was like ewwwwww.....it is erally an american car on the inside.....bleeeech!!
Old 09-01-05, 02:24 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Poor thing. I still look at that car everytime I see one. My neighbor has one in the LSE model all black with the bodykit and chrome rims. HOTTT!!!! Coming from a company that usually makes pure luxury cars, this car was very sporty for the brand, and I loved it.

The replacement model Zephyer or whatever its called has NOT A DAMN THING on the LS. FWD, ugly styling compared to the classy concept and limited luxury features. Not a good look.
Old 09-01-05, 09:38 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A car the size of a 5-series for the cost of a 3-series. Not too shabby of an idea. Deserves a second try, although I dunno if the Zephyr will cut it...
Old 09-02-05, 05:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
A car the size of a 5-series for the cost of a 3-series. Not too shabby of an idea. Deserves a second try, although I dunno if the Zephyr will cut it...
The Zephyr will have one advantage the LS didn't....an AWD option.
Old 09-02-05, 06:17 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are they going to replace it with in their lineup?

Do you think Ford has learned from its mistakes and will address them in the new vehicle they will introduce?

I have STRONG DOUBTS that they will have learned their lesson from the ultimate failure of the LS to grab any real attention in the marketplace.

Ted
Old 09-02-05, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ted920
What are they going to replace it with in their lineup?

Do you think Ford has learned from its mistakes and will address them in the new vehicle they will introduce?

I have STRONG DOUBTS that they will have learned their lesson from the ultimate failure of the LS to grab any real attention in the marketplace.

Ted
The LS WOULD have grabbed more attention if it had not only kept the V6 manual transmission but offered it on the V8 as well..,......see my earlier posts.

I don't say that because I am a big fan of manual trannies.........in fact I am not, especially in urban areas...........but if you are going to market a car as a BMW 5-series-fighter (as Ford did) you simply HAVE to offer one. Ford did not...and is paying the price. Cadillac DID with the CTS...and that car, in turn, has been a success. Even BMW itself learned with the SMT's.......some car enthusiasts are simply addicted to a stick.
Old 09-02-05, 02:17 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, the LS is pretty much a total yawn these days. It actually started looking tired about three years ago.

People say it's a "good car..." in reality, it's just a good Lincoln- or "less bad" than previous Lincolns - and compared to the competition, it was just decent. I do give it credit for helping Lincoln's image by appealing to the non-Geritol crowd- prior to this, Lincoln only had offerings for more "mature" customers (we call them "blue hairs").
Old 09-02-05, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I do give it credit for helping Lincoln's image by appealing to the non-Geritol crowd- prior to this, Lincoln only had offerings for more "mature" customers (we call them "blue hairs").

The only problem with this reasoning is that there is no reason why the younger, non-Geritol people cannot drive softer-riding Town Cars and Devilles ( now DTS ). The idea that these are just granny cars is a bunch of nonsense....I laugh whenever I hear this. Yes, as a teen-ager in the muscle-car era, I liked muscle cars, but I also liked cars with a S-M-O-O-T-H ride....and so did my best friend.....ALSO a big car enthusiast like me.
Old 09-03-05, 06:47 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The only problem with this reasoning is that there is no reason why the younger, non-Geritol people cannot drive softer-riding Town Cars and Devilles ( now DTS ). The idea that these are just granny cars is a bunch of nonsense....I laugh whenever I hear this. Yes, as a teen-ager in the muscle-car era, I liked muscle cars, but I also liked cars with a S-M-O-O-T-H ride....and so did my best friend.....ALSO a big car enthusiast like me.
Cause theyre totally boring cars to drive. They handle poorly they actually have OK accelaration some of them at least well the northstar powered caddillacs did, lincoln on the other hand suck at everything, handling accelaration braking total dud cars when it comes to driving experience a younger and or younger at heart enthusiast might enjoy. But you cant drive that car even if you tried, or you will push so bad youll plow out of the turn.. And if you do manage to get it to stick (I guess you could make it work with very very slow in... nailing the gas out tactics Id need some getting used to it though.) Now youre going to slide and hit something in that crap of a bench seat the lincolns used to have.

They give no feedback. The seats on some of this cars provide NO support, tehy are comfortable Ill give them that... But pretty much a boring car for any kind of enthusiast to own. And most younger drivers do like the sporty feel of cars.

The lincoln LS on the other hand could be made to dance at the skills of a good driver. Sad that this rwd model will go, while the pos overpriced crown vics stay. At least for 4+ more years. 50 k for a new lincoln town car? cripes.. I bet the incentives on one must be HUGE.
Old 09-03-05, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that they don't handle as well as sports sedans or sports cars, but that has been one of the long-standing compromises in auto engineering....the trade-off between ride comfort and handling. Some newer vehicles...especially the more expensive ones, get around this by having multi-valve shocks, electronic suspensions, variable-rate suspension stiffness and steering, etc.......that to some extent give you the best of both worlds. Both my IS300 (with 16" tires) and Subaru Outback were excellent compromises of both. But in general, comfort and precise control don't mix...more of one will usually mean less of the other, even with variable-rate systems. For example, some suspensions are soft and comfortable on the straight but stiffen up in curves....and, of course, you lose the comfort while cornering. In other words, you can't have both at once....despite the nonsensical write-ups that say you CAN. Among production cars, perhaps the two extremes today between the two, IMO, are the Lotus Elise and the Cadillac Deville. The clear trend today......no question about it........is toward handling. Every year we see lower-profile tires and firmer suspensions, even on " luxury " cars. Even the DeVille has become a litle more like BMW's recently.

Sorry, mods....I guess we got a little off-topic branching off from the LS into straight-luxury cars and suspension enginering.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-03-05 at 07:40 AM.