Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should the LS be killed?
Yes - nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, good-bye
37.14%
Nah, keep it - I always kinda liked it for some reason, like my friend's little sister
54.29%
Maybe - Don't they at least need to save it so they can rebadge it for Jaguar
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

The Lincoln LS will be killed after the 2006 model year.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb The Lincoln LS will be killed after the 2006 model year.

Production will end in May, Ford Motor Co. told employees at the Wixom, Mich., assembly plant, where the car is built.

The rear-drive LS got off to a promising start when it was introduced in 1999. Lincoln billed it as a combination of European performance and American styling and comfort. It was supposed to kick off a makeover of Lincoln's stodgy car line. But other new cars were canceled as Ford Motor's financial crisis unfolded.

The LS languished with little exterior updating, and sales fell from the nameplate's 2001 peak of 39,787. Last year, Lincoln sold 27,066 units of the LS. A replacement for the LS, developed on a front-drive Volvo platform, is scheduled to arrive in late 2007.

Old 08-31-05, 07:45 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Oh well the LS wasn't a bad car. I actually liked it... I've seen some with a body kit and rims and looks pretty good It was a nice 4 door sedan.... One of the better lincolns i think
Old 08-31-05, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Oh well the LS wasn't a bad car. I actually liked it... I've seen some with a body kit and rims and looks pretty good It was a nice 4 door sedan.... One of the better lincolns i think
No the LS wasn't a bad car. It was EARLY in the RWD comeback. It drove really well, the interior was nice and it had good power. The name was stupid (Lincolns deserve NAMES), the styling was not American but a mix of Japan/BMW and the price started to get ridiculous.

Mix that with rebates, awful resale and the competiton getting better and better and well this =discontinued.

Its a shame, this car had promise.

Old 08-31-05, 07:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Poll time
Old 08-31-05, 07:59 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Poll time
LOL..................

Old 08-31-05, 08:25 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I've worked in many-a LS, and I can't say much for the interior quality at all. Tons of cheap plastic everywhere and lots of creaks.

It was a car that easily went under the radar, IMO. Had nothing special about it. Not a bad car, not really a good car.

I'll be sad to see the FWD successor come out.
Old 08-31-05, 08:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can never vote against an 'LS', I know that Lincoln was able to trademark the 'LS' title for its luxe sedan, while Lexus gets the 'LS ###' title.

But frankly I think the 'LS' title for Lincoln is a ripoff pretender on Lexus' good reputation, and I for one am very GLAD to see the pretender clone name disappear.

There is only ONE luxury sedan named LS and it is the Lexus LS 430, formerly the LS 400. And the Lexus LS is the best luxury car in the world. There is no substitute!
Old 08-31-05, 11:35 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever noticed that the interior of the LS is the EXACT same as the one in the current Thunderbird? The only difference that I noticed was the aluminum vs. fake wood accents...
Old 08-31-05, 11:42 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Thunderbird is one ugly looking car, I think it's in it's final production year also.
Old 09-01-05, 12:14 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Now Lincoln has been reduced to selling trucks and suvs to stay afloat like what Ford is doing.
Old 09-01-05, 05:26 AM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No the LS wasn't a bad car. It was EARLY in the RWD comeback. It drove really well, the interior was nice and it had good power. The name was stupid (Lincolns deserve NAMES), the styling was not American but a mix of Japan/BMW and the price started to get ridiculous.

Mix that with rebates, awful resale and the competiton getting better and better and well this =discontinued.

Its a shame, this car had promise.

I liked this car and actually thought about buying one. I, probably like most younger buyers, couldn't get over the name's rep of being your "grandfather's car".

What's funny is my younger sister bought one. The resale value of these cars were incredibly low and I always thought buying one used was a great deal.

I do agree with you Mike, the car had potential.
Old 09-01-05, 06:52 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Yeah I agree with SICK, I always thought the LS was handsome vehicle with great proportions (very athletic for a Lincoln). Looks very nice with just 20" wheels, lowering, and tint.

I found the interior to be a little on the tight side, and yeah a little plasticky, but overall a nice car. Too bad they didnt market it correctly!
Old 09-01-05, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
Has anyone ever noticed that the interior of the LS is the EXACT same as the one in the current Thunderbird? The only difference that I noticed was the aluminum vs. fake wood accents...
The T-Bird was built off of a shortened LS platform.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-01-05, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well......that's THREE major mistakes for the Lincoln marketers.
......and THIS one is the worst of all.

The LS was introduced in 1999 as a domestic competitor to the BMW 5-series. No manual transmission for the V8 version ( only the V6 )....mistake #1

After much legitimate criticism of this policy, what does Lincoln do? Do they design a proper 5 or 6-speed for the V8? No.....they DROP the manual option from the V6.

Now....instead of admitting that the first two actions were mistakes and reversing them...they simply drop the car altogether.

Auto marketers sometimes make me want to throw up.
Old 09-01-05, 07:35 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The LS was introduced in 1999 as a domestic competitor to the BMW 5-series. No manual transmission for the V8 version ( only the V6 )....mistake #1

After much legitimate criticism of this policy, what does Lincoln do? Do they design a proper 5 or 6-speed for the V8? No.....they DROP the manual option from the V6.

2 VERY valid points

Quick Reply: The Lincoln LS will be killed after the 2006 model year.