Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how illegal is this/will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-05, 09:35 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool how illegal is this/will this work?

So lets say I find a place that can import a car from Japan and clear customs because the engine and transmission is removed. Then 2-3 months later it gets delivered to me and I throw the engine and tranny back into it. For an example, we'll say its a 1996 Toyota Chaser.

So, now i've got this awesome car, I want to be able to drive it on the street and such and have ti insured but I can't risk legalizing it and there is no USDM equlvilant, so what if...

I went to a junk yard and found a 1996 Toyota Avalon (come on its pretty close) that was totally messed up. I mean there is just no way it can be saved its a total parts car. So then I make a deal with the guy who owns the junkyard, let him keep the car for parts but buy the title from him. I then claim it is a salvage and insure it. If I got in a accident and didn't make the insurance claim then it wouldn't be fraud. If it ever came up as to why my car is RHD I could come up with some BS reason or just say I converted it from a front clip.

What do you think?
Old 09-02-05, 09:47 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIN numbers won't match.
Old 09-02-05, 09:50 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IVXX
So lets say I find a place that can import a car from Japan and clear customs because the engine and transmission is removed. Then 2-3 months later it gets delivered to me and I throw the engine and tranny back into it. For an example, we'll say its a 1996 Toyota Chaser.

So, now i've got this awesome car, I want to be able to drive it on the street and such and have ti insured but I can't risk legalizing it and there is no USDM equlvilant, so what if...

I went to a junk yard and found a 1996 Toyota Avalon (come on its pretty close) that was totally messed up. I mean there is just no way it can be saved its a total parts car. So then I make a deal with the guy who owns the junkyard, let him keep the car for parts but buy the title from him. I then claim it is a salvage and insure it. If I got in a accident and didn't make the insurance claim then it wouldn't be fraud. If it ever came up as to why my car is RHD I could come up with some BS reason or just say I converted it from a front clip.

What do you think?

HIGHLY Illegal. I'm no expert on importing, but I don't believe that just removing engine & tranny allows the car to clear customs. There are many other items on the car needed to make it US spec, including but not limited to : proper bumpers, lighting, turn signals. I just don't see this scenario working regardless of the legal issues surrounding it.
Old 09-02-05, 09:55 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Leets
VIN numbers won't match.
This is why it would be much easier on a bike - the VIN plate is usually removeable.

The scenario is certainly possible if you can get around the import rules and no one ever checks VINs. The question is: Is it worth it?
Old 09-02-05, 09:58 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

You can probably import it temporarily with Japanese tags and such...but I don't think it would be worth the hassle to go through something like that.
Old 09-02-05, 10:24 AM
lasracin
Driver School Candidate

I was stationed in Germany and brought a German spec BMW back to the U.S. mkorsu is right! There are tons of things to do besides the motor & tranny. It cost me roughly $4500 to convert.
Old 09-02-05, 11:06 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Hmm... i'm fully aware of all thats needed to legallize a car. Let me modify the senario:

The car is in the US and running. I'd like to take it out around the suburbs probably no highway driving. Any interaction with the law will be resolved by "yea its a front clip conversion" and leave it at that. Assuming the car is already in the US, would the avalon idea work?
Old 09-02-05, 12:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the other way u could do it which the legality is a bit of gray area is importing the car into either the carribean, mexico, or canada- and then driving it to the US and titling it. i know for a fact that u can import a jdm auto from the carribean into florida with MINIMAL hassle but im not so sure bout Canada and Mexico.

resource i consulted when considering the same option except as a daily driver

http://www.japimportsusa.com/

-Annant
Old 09-02-05, 12:12 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkorsu
HIGHLY Illegal. I'm no expert on importing, but I don't believe that just removing engine & tranny allows the car to clear customs.
Bringing the car over physically is the easy part. You CAN take out the engine and tranny out of the vehicle to bring it over and it WILL clear customs, but it will be for off-road use only (basically a show car) and most likely customs will want to see a carnet showing when the vehicle will leave the country (carnets are issued for 1 year periods).

IVXX, since you intend on driving the thing, I don't really recommend you taking out the engine/trans out of the car when bringing it over.
Old 09-02-05, 12:37 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

IVXX, What you are trying to do is extremely illegal, and you could be charged with numerous felony violations, including insurance fraud and plenty of import/export laws possibly resulting in many years behind bars. I am a law student at the MSU college of law and one of my buddies is specializing in import/export law, and this info came from him. The only way I can think of, that you would be able get it insured would be to take the car apart and have the vin plate changed, but that takes a lot of chopping. I would definately not reccomend driving anywhere other than in your neighborhood. But if you continue to try, GO FOR IT!! It would be friggan sweet. I'll look further into it and pm you if I find anything. You don't have any friends that owe you favors though, do you
Old 09-02-05, 01:26 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see if you could bring it in as a showcar

i thought i read that it was easier that way

but i am not even 20% sure
Old 09-02-05, 03:00 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Thanks everyone for the help!

Just to clairfy I AM NOT actaully doing this the topic came up in conversation and I was curious as to how it would be done. Also since I would never claim money the insureance I don't see how it would be fraud.

HOWEVER, any information on the matter would greatly help me. IF I was to do such a thing I wouldn't be looking to make it a daily driver but it would be nice to cruise.

Again I have NOT done anything like make a deposit on a Y32 Cedric GT and there aren't people out in japan looking for a white on black one for me to ship over in thier 40 foot container along with other cars.

Just thought i'd clear that up.

But, back to the topic, getting into the country is a non-issue.

Is there anyway I can have someone come over and inspect the car and issue a permit/lisence thing? My friend built a hotrod out of a kit and he said that someone came to his house and looked it over then issued a thing so he could drive it under 1,000 miles a year or something. Granted he had to pay for it to be done. Anyone know what that program is called? I tried to search online but didn't even know what to search for then got side tracked by ****.
Old 09-02-05, 03:14 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried conversing with the folks at Motorex? I saw a blue R34 and a white R34 with gtc gold faced rims, I had to swim out of my own drool.

Old 09-02-05, 06:49 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IVXX
I tried to search online but didn't even know what to search for then got side tracked by ****.
LOL - awesome!!!

Jonny
Old 09-03-05, 06:27 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I personally met someone (extremely shady might I add.)

That drives several skylines in less then prime conditions that are...

"legal"

I believe he had it registered as a kit car or something like that. People have tried to get him in trouble and all failed I know that.

Quick Reply: how illegal is this/will this work?