Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinion - S2000 or Supra??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 11:26 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion - S2000 or Supra??

Well, i'm not selling the lex, but will be getting one of these two cars in the near future...

Will definately be taking the car to autox...Don't intend to drag it or anything...

Anyways, what are you guys thoughts? (and why)

Last edited by Lyrical; 09-04-05 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-04-05, 11:30 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

the supra is a million times cooler.... the s2k is probably the better auto-x-er... but i would still buy the supra
Old 09-04-05, 11:51 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

All I needed to see was a suggestion thread with the word Supra in it and I had made my mind up. No doubt I would go with the Supra. Check out SupraForums for some autocross info, there are some who do it.

James
Old 09-05-05, 02:57 AM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

If your looking for an auto-x car, the S2000 is your car. Simply said, the Supra is an overweight car. It isn't even close to being as nimble as an S2000. Like jet864 said, SOME of the Supra guys track their cars. However, a majority of them just use it for drag racing. It's the opposite for the S2000, and there is a reason. The drop-top factor of the S2K will also provide lots of fun. I did a search on used turbo Supras on Autotrader and I couldn't find a single Supra that wasn't modded. The only stock ones I found had HIGH miles on them or were once previously modded. If you ever did have problems with the S2000, parts are not very expensive and not hard to get since the car is still in production. Most importantly, you can have a warranty with the S2000.
Old 09-05-05, 05:12 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well as much as i like the supra, i'd have to say for this, s2000. it is an incedible car and, like the supra, it's very easy to make it look goooood without doing a whole lot to it. while i like them both, go for the honda.
Old 09-05-05, 06:32 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i love both cars! however s2k vs. supra with 2jzgte...it is just no competition. supra all the way!
Old 09-05-05, 07:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

For autoX, S2000
Old 09-05-05, 08:14 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Supra.

You won't see one every corner. If auto-x comes to mind you put your foot to the floor and realize you might enjoy something other than driving around a parking lot with cones
Old 09-05-05, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Both cars are likely to be reliable.....if cared for and serviced correctly. Both would also be somewhat expensive to insure.
All other things equal, the S2000 would be less comfortable to drive and firmer-riding, more cramped (if you're tall), have less torque at lower speeds, and be less useful for carrying things, but would also handle better, have a crisper-shifting manual transmission, use less gas ( important with the higher gas prices we're going to have ), be easier to re-sell, and be more fun on a nice day with the top down....something the Supra can't do.
Given a choice between the two, I would take the S2000, hands-down....but only if I could FIT in it. Since you mention autocrossing, I also think the S2000's smaller size and better handling would be better-suited for that, too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-05-05 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-05-05, 11:13 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

supra anyday....so rare, so unique nowadays, esp next to the s2k
Old 09-05-05, 11:41 AM
4runnin
Driver School Candidate

No contest, supra all the way.
Old 09-05-05, 12:27 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

You can make a stock supra autocross rather well too.
Old 09-05-05, 12:40 PM
jacques
Pole Position

SUPRA!!!
The enormous power will get you hooked. S2k's may auto-x a little better but you'll be dissapointed with its lack of power real quick. Get the supra- strong aftermarket, amazing potenitial, great community and ricers will worship you.
Old 09-05-05, 02:22 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Interesting. The advice here seems to fall into two camps:

1) S2000: intelligent, balanced, well-reasoned comparisons that lean toward the car because of the stated desire to autocross.

2) Supra: unjustified blathering (e.g., "Supra all the way, dude!") or emotional appeals (e.g., "Supras are, like, way more rare!").

Just decide which kind of people you'd like to associate with.
Old 09-05-05, 02:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If you are not selling your Lexus then the S2000 would make a great fun 2nd car. If you intend one for a daily driver and your only car then the Supra will be more comfortable, have more room, and more torque for driving around town. S2000 has one of the best manual transmissions in the world and it also gets good gas mileage so it might be nice to have 1 car that is good on gas these days. S2000 was made for auto x and track so it will be very fun and an amazing handler. A Supra is also a very good handling car for its size and weight but it was made to be more of a grand touring sports car and it is pretty heavy and does not provide the nimblness and feedback a S2000 provides but you do get a better roomier everyday car. Both cars are pretty reliable for perfomance sports cars but replacement parts on Supras are getting scarce and very expensive. Another problem with Supra Turbos is most for sale are highly modded, have high miles, or have been pretty abused. Ones with lower miles and non modded are extremely rare and people want insanely high prices for them and it is not worth the price in my opinion. A newer used 996 Porsche 911 could be had for less then some of those Supra prices and they make very good auto x everyday cars. In all I would say the S2000 for a second car especially if you plan to track and auto x but a Supra is still a good choice and maybe a better everyday driver if you can find a good one.

Quick Reply: Opinion - S2000 or Supra??