Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Adding Acetone to your gas = 20% MPG+++

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-05, 08:22 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Acetone to your gas = 20% MPG+++

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=511724

I find it hard to believe I've never heard about this before...

anyway, here is their MPG boost guide http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/515007/
Old 09-05-05, 08:27 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

let's make sure we make it clear that it's not acetone but rather toulene or xylene...it's actually used by the petrolium company as an octane booster...used in the right ratio you can bump up your octane a few points.
Old 09-05-05, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
I find it hard to believe I've never heard about this before...
Did you read the whole thread? It was dismissed by several with math showing the amount added was irrelevant, and that you'd really have to use toluene to do anything but even then it's speculative. It might allow you to buy a cheaper grade and boost it with the toluene, but are you willing to risk potential damage to your engine?
Old 09-05-05, 11:27 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Reminds me of a really stoopid conversation I had with a guy at an autocross... I told him that you could put toluene in your gas to raise your octane...and he said, "Oh, the stuff in Red Bull?"

I said, "Um, no, that's TAURINE."
Old 09-06-05, 12:04 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VegasIS300
Reminds me of a really stoopid conversation I had with a guy at an autocross... I told him that you could put toluene in your gas to raise your octane...and he said, "Oh, the stuff in Red Bull?"

I said, "Um, no, that's TAURINE."

LOL! Sounds like a typical Las Vegan.
Old 09-06-05, 12:12 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Here's a little write up
Well here's a little chemistry for ya that will give you 100oct for much cheaper than 4.20 a gallon.

Go to Home Depot and purchase a chemical called Xylene. It is a mild paint thinner. There is also a chemical called Toluene, but Xylene is slightly better. Now on to the chemist part.

Xylene is a natural Aromatic, which means it can be used as an octane booster. It is a natural hydrocarbon, so as it burns there is absolutely nothing that can go wrong in your car, such as a leaded gas will. In fact there is a small amount of this chemical already present in gasoline, but since the public doesn't need this high of octane they don't add too much.

Xylene has an Octane rating of 118, Toluene has 114oct. You will not run these straight, but will mix one gallon of Xylene or Toluene for every 2 gallons that is in your gas tank. This will give you a 30% mix overall. If you mix a 30% mix of Xylene with 93oct pump gas you come out with a mixture of 100oct that is completely lead free and can be had anywhere in the country. I have found that the best prices for Toluene and Xylene can be had at the local paint stores such as Sherwin Williams and such.

I have tried this multiple times on my 1995 Eclipse GSX, and there have been significant knock count reductions with each use on my data logger. I am assuming you know what high octane does so I will leave you with that.

Again, this mixture will cause absolutely no damage to your engine. If you need even more proof read the book "Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines" It is a rather large book, but in it will talk about the Methylbenzene and Dimethylbenzene chemicals otherwise known as Xylene and Toluene. The only damage that can be had by using these is the slow deterioration of Valve seals and such in the engine, but this will take many uses and can even be completely stopped by the use of a tank of Marvel Mystery Oil which can be purchased at any auto parts store for only a couple bucks.

By the way Xylene costs about 7 dollars a gallon at Sherwin Williams, so do the math:

2 gallons of 93oct (1.50 a gallon) = 3.00
1 gallon of Xylene= 7.00
--------------------------------
Total = 10.00 for 3 gallons worth.
Old 09-06-05, 12:22 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
so do the math:

2 gallons of 93oct (1.50 a gallon) = 3.00
1 gallon of Xylene= 7.00
--------------------------------
Total = 10.00 for 3 gallons worth.
Sorry it's year 2005 and month September now so the math could use some update. More like $3.20 per gallon for 93oct gas, resulting in $13.40 for 3 gallons worth. Sounds like a fair price though considering the price of 100oct gas is still a bit higher.
Old 09-06-05, 12:43 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
LOL! Sounds like a typical Las Vegan.
Hah, yeah, and a typical Las Vegas also thinks "Monte Carlo" is a made up name, not an actual place...
Old 09-06-05, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Please, guys......save your hard-earned $$$$$$$. You will need them for the real stuff...gasoline.

Snake-oil miracle-mileage scams are a dime a dozen. They have been going on for decades. If they actually WORKED, were legal, and did not harm the engine, enginers would use them and install them at the factory.

Don't waste money on nonsense. Save it for your tank....gas costs enough now as it is.
Old 09-07-05, 09:43 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marshall, go read up supraforums.com. A lot of the drag supra owners there have successfully added toulene to pump gas for daily use for their beasts. It's not miracle whoo-hah...
Old 09-07-05, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
Marshall, go read up supraforums.com. A lot of the drag supra owners there have successfully added toulene to pump gas for daily use for their beasts. It's not miracle whoo-hah...
Yeah...but what is it doing to the engine, long-term? My point was that if it was that good an idea, engineers would call for it.
Water injection and nitrous bottles can both add HP, too.....but you don't see this from the factory....for a reason.
Old 09-07-05, 10:03 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

What happens if you run it straight? I need to get me a rental!
Old 09-07-05, 10:13 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah...but what is it doing to the engine, long-term? My point was that if it was that good an idea, engineers would call for it.
Water injection and nitrous bottles can both add HP, too.....but you don't see this from the factory....for a reason.

While I see your point, you are comparing apples & oranges. Water Injection and NO2 are not included from the factory due to lack of saleabilty (sp?) and they are cost prohibitive. All knowledgable NO2 users say that with proper use, no damage is done to the engine. And just because it was a good idea, definately doesn't mean manufacturers will use it. I'm sure you are familiar with the Tucker!!?? That automobile was a fantastic idea!!! The big 3 drove Tucker out of business and his technology was never used! Why? Why sell a better vehicle for the same money when we can sell a sub-standard vehicle for the same money. Only free enterprise and competition will result in improvements.
Old 09-07-05, 10:54 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
but fuel doesn't add HP
it just allows for more boost / affects detonation / knocking

it's not even the same thing as water injection or nitrous.

some good reads

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...hlight=toulene