Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini 4 door Estate Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 08:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, the Traveller is pretty much the same MINI but with an 8-inch-long butt and suicide doors for the rear passengers? When I travel, the last car I think I would use is the MINI. Keep the MINI as a quircky everyday commuter car...
i thought the mini has pretty good interior space?
Old 05-25-06, 10:10 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That wagon looks funky
Old 05-25-06, 01:05 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Three photos are showing a dark Mini sedan prototype.
So, where's the sedan?
Old 05-25-06, 01:53 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so it's not really a mini anymore is it?
Old 05-25-06, 02:08 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by foofighter
so it's not really a mini anymore is it?
Well it's still quite mini for a wagon. But what's next, a MINI SUV?
Old 05-25-06, 02:36 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Well it's still quite mini for a wagon. But what's next, a MINI SUV?
Easy! Just raise up the wagon with a 2 foot fender gap
Old 05-25-06, 06:36 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Many more pics + drivetrain info:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/03/..._mini_revealed

I LOVE the new interior! Hmmmmm, to trade or not to trade?
Old 05-25-06, 07:31 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
Many more pics + drivetrain info:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/03/..._mini_revealed

I LOVE the new interior! Hmmmmm, to trade or not to trade?
Wow thanks...some very detailed stuff.

Yeah I love the updated interior too. Not sure about the exterior changes but I understand they have to follow the new safety rules.

Love the blue inserts.
Old 06-21-06, 10:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default BMW freshens its little star

Tuesday, 20 June 2006

BMW is adding the finishing touches to its next Mini, which will début at the Paris Motor Show later this year. Mini enthusiasts should be pleased to learn that the newcomer’s styling appears to closely resemble that of the popular current version.

Taking its cue from Porsche's evolutionary approach to the design of the iconic 911 series, BMW AG said it would “follow the Zuffenhausen-based manufacturer's example” and ensure that the next generation Mini remains true to its current concept.

Not much will change from the model currently seen on our roads, but modifications to the car’s mechanical configuration will be extensive, a source said. The new model was expected to be about 80 mm longer than its predecessor, primarily to comply with stricter regulations governing pedestrian safety.

As these pictures illustrate, the new Mini’s styling adapts the successful look of the current car, but the newcomer’s front and rear ends are adorned with larger head- and taillight clusters.

"The Mini look will not become stale," Mini’s vice president of brand management, Kay Segler, recently said. "If someone would say that a 911 should be totally different because (its styling theme) has been around for many years, the customers would say, 'No, that is still fresh and has become part of the car's character'.

"Some brands and some products need to do things differently," Segler was quoted as saying. "The original Mini design theme was dead right."

However, Segler said the Mini's interior might see major changes as the vehicle gradually evolves: "You could be more adventurous when it comes to the interior".

The next-generation Mini will have a roomier interior and the quality of the materials and fabrics are said to be more upmarket. The current facia design reportedly won't change much, either.

A range of new, state-of-the-art engines will also be débuted in the Mini range and a variety of direct injection four-valve petrol units have been scheduled for introduction. The most notable addition is the culmination of a BMW and PSA Peugeot-Citroën co-development - a new supercharged 1,6-litre petrol that reportedly produces 110 kW and 240 N.m of peak torque.

Also in the pipeline is a Mini Traveller estate (which was previewed in concept form at last year’s Frankfurt show). The stretched Mini concept was inspired by the Mini Traveller model of yore, and offered a glimpse of what form a station wagon-style variant of the next generation Mini could take.

In production form, the Mini "estate" will address some of the current car's most regular criticisms - its lack of rear passenger and boot space. Just like the original Traveller, and the Frankfurt concept, the new car will also feature side-hinged doors. Smaller "suicide" rear doors (á là Mazda RX8) will also be offered.

The next-generation Mini should go on sale early in 2007

source with pics HERE

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-21-06 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 02:43 PM
Yoko
Driver

dang, the long one reminds me of a mini-minivan.
Old 06-21-06, 03:34 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You know, I hated the Mini's and then I drove one after watching the Italian Job. Probably the most fun car I've ever driven, and I still consider one based on size, gas mileage, and fun factor.

Unfortunately with a car like the Mini, it's very hard to do any redesigning to it other than a facelift, but I'm pretty sure BMW can pull it off. I'm interested to see how these new engines are too. They're switching from Chrysler engines to Peugeot-BMW cross-engineered engines, so we'll see how this goes, since I'm not really familiar with Peugeot.
Old 06-21-06, 06:07 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

The Mini sells for primarily one reason: STYLE.
The fact that it is fun to drive is bonus.

BMW has done a great job with the current Mini and the revised 2007 model doesn't look
much different which is a good thing.

The wagon/traveller version is very bizarre looking. I have serious doubts this one will
be very popular. If people wanted utility, they would look elsewhere. I don't think this
version of the Mini will sell based on its looks at all. Sure people complained of lack of
leg room, etc. etc., but that's what you get when you have a Mini. Sometimes listening to
what customers complain about and delivering a product which addresses those issues
might not work. It essentially kills the product.
Old 06-21-06, 07:24 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce van

BMW has done a great job with the current Mini and the revised 2007 model doesn't look
much different which is a good thing.

The wagon/traveller version is very bizarre looking. I have serious doubts this one will
be very popular. If people wanted utility, they would look elsewhere. I don't think this
version of the Mini will sell based on its looks at all. Sure people complained of lack of
leg room, etc. etc., but that's what you get when you have a Mini. Sometimes listening to
what customers complain about and delivering a product which addresses those issues
might not work. It essentially kills the product.
I'm not exactly big at 5'10, but I gotta say when I got out of that car, I looked back at it and wondered where all that legroom up front came from.
Old 06-21-06, 07:56 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
Very true. Most female Mini owners (and ALL female Mini owners that I personally know) got Minis because of the styling, not performance or BMW-relation or anything like that. Ironically, they also tend to have a lot of stuff in their cars, and would probably be less of a problem if they got something bigger than a Mini. Go figure
Old 06-21-06, 08:06 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Richie
That wagon looks funky

I think it's fugly

Quick Reply: Mini 4 door Estate Spy Shots