Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda to Sport World's First Airbags on Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 07:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Honda to Sport World's First Airbags on Motorcycles

Company debuts the world's first airbag on a motorcycle
September 8, 2005: 8:04 AM EDT

TOKYO (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. on Thursday unveiled the world's first airbag system to be mounted on a production model motorcycle, with plans to offer it on the new Gold Wing touring bike to hit U.S. showrooms next spring.

The airbag module is built in between the bike's handles and activates when four crash sensors detect a severe frontal collision, creating a buffer as the rider is flung forward on impact.

Honda (Research), Japan's third-biggest car manufacturer and the world's top motorcycle maker, said the airbag would significantly reduce fatalities and serious injuries, citing data which shows most harm occurs during frontal collisions.

Honda will eventually offer the airbag option in Europe and Japan, Operating Officer Suguru Kanazawa told a news conference. The company declined to say how much the add-on would cost.

The 1800cc Gold Wing is Honda's biggest motorcycle and starts at $18,600 in the United States. It sold 12,000 units in North America last year, 1,600 in Europe and 270 in Japan.

Officials said Honda aimed to offer the airbag on more motorcycles in future, but acknowledged a number of hurdles.

Because the airbag works by absorbing kinetic energy from the forward-flying rider, the motorcycle itself needs to be heavy enough not to tip over, otherwise the driver would be thrown over the deployed airbag.

The airbag also needs enough space to blow up safely in front of the rider, meaning the system can't be mounted on a sporty bike where the driver leans forward into the handle.

Still, Chief Engineer Satoshi Iijima said having the airbag could mean the difference between life and death. While the system works best in a straight-angle frontal collision at up to 50 km (31 miles) an hour, the airbag can slow down the rider being thrown off at twice the speed, causing only a minor injury in an accident that would otherwise result in death.

Honda is at the forefront of vehicle safety technology, offering Japan's first airbag in 1987 on the Legend high-end sedan. It began research and development on motorcycle airbags in 1990.

As part of its safety drive, Honda has also developed technology to warn motorcyclists of oncoming cars that are hidden from the rider's view, and headlight designs that help others on the road better gauge the distance from the motorcycle.

Those technologies are not yet available on production models.

source : detnews
Old 09-08-05, 08:29 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

That ought to be intresting to see lol. Same goes for crash tests!
Old 09-08-05, 08:45 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
That ought to be intresting to see lol. Same goes for crash tests!
Werd. I would like to know how this thing works. I can just see the airbag punching the driver in the face and throwing him even further away from the bike.
Old 09-08-05, 08:54 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magneto112
Werd. I would like to know how this thing works. I can just see the airbag punching the driver in the face and throwing him even further away from the bike.
Agreed. They should probably invent seat belts for motorcycles before this.
Old 09-08-05, 10:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by magneto112
I think the idea is to stop the forward momentum of the driver in a crash, I don't doubt the driver will still be thrown from the bike, but the purpose is to minimize injuries from the impact. Yes, I'm looking forward to see crash tests
Old 09-08-05, 11:30 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Agreed. They should probably invent seat belts for motorcycles before this.
Having been involved first hand in motorcycle incidents at 35 , 60mph, and 110mph, NO YOU DO NOT WANT seat belts for motorcycles. Imagine flying across a track or freeway strapped to your bike...no thanks.

Although air bags are a good idea, i rather see advancements in braking and protection. ABS was a good start, too bad the industry never caught on.l..
Old 09-08-05, 08:44 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as soon as I saw the title, I knew it was going on the Gold Wing. The Lexus of cruisers. They already have AC, ABS, etc... Honda knows what they are doing when it comes to motorcycles.
Old 09-08-05, 09:12 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this thing somewhere where the biker was to wear a vest with a lanyard attached to the bike where if they were thrown off and the lanyard was disconnected it would inflate around them like a life vest. Seems much more effective than something attached to the bike.

James
Old 09-08-05, 09:14 PM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

dainese has been working on the airbag vest. It should protect from neck injuries as well as torso injuries. Looks very promising. I have seen prototypes but nothing on the real thing that Ive seen.
Old 09-08-05, 10:34 PM
MarkW2005

Default ok.....

Interesting concept. got any pics of it?
Old 09-09-05, 06:17 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Last edited by KayGee; 09-09-05 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-09-05, 06:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MarkW2005
Interesting concept. got any pics of it?
Old 09-09-05, 08:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default More . . .

text HERE
Old 09-09-05, 12:10 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdaddyrobb
dainese has been working on the airbag vest. It should protect from neck injuries as well as torso injuries. Looks very promising. I have seen prototypes but nothing on the real thing that Ive seen.
dang, considering the prices of "normal" dainese outfits, the "airbag" dainese outfits would cost more than the bike....I guess you can't put a price on human life though, right?

I wouldn't want a seat belt on my bike. An ejection seat at the time of impact and a parachute would probably be safer.

When are the ABS brake systems going to be widely implemented on production bikes anyway? Honda killed Daijiro Kato testing the darn thing.
Old 09-09-05, 02:41 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by meZoom!
When are the ABS brake systems going to be widely implemented on production bikes anyway? Honda killed Daijiro Kato testing the darn thing.
Honda did not "kill" Kato (RIP), rather Suzuka did when he was racing, hence MotoGP does not run there anymore because of safety concerns.

Quick Reply: Honda to Sport World's First Airbags on Motorcycles