Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 645/650i

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 10:44 AM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 645/650i

Did anyone consider purchasing or at least look at the BMW 645i or now the 2006 650i before buying the SC430? While somewhat different in terms of luxury versus handling, I bought the Lexus mainly because of the hard-top convertible feature and the luxurious interior. My partner had BMW's for 20 years and I convinced him four months ago to get the LS430 instead of the 540i because of the reliability issue with the new BMW's, the ridciulous i-drive, and the "Germanic" interior. Now he regrets having a non-sexy car and misses the handling of the BMW. I told him he can't buy a SC430 like mine!

The 645/650i is beautiful, but it's also $15,000 more than a SC430.
Old 09-08-05, 10:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

The 6 series is one of the better designs under Bangle, but still does not look too appealing to me. I like the coupe version (not the convertible) when I first saw it, but I have actually grown less fond of it the more I look at it.
I'm sure it's an awesome driving car though & I won't mind having a M6.
Old 09-08-05, 10:56 AM
KevsSC
Intermediate

I actually went down and looked at the 6 series coupe before I bought the SC430. For some reason, I didnt really like it. It looks nice with rims and a small drop. I see many here and theres nothing special about it. I know Nick drives the 6 series in the show Newly Weds with Jessica Simpson. His car is black with rims.
Old 09-08-05, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the 6 series is a hot car, we thought about it when shopping for the sc430. but considering the addition great amount of money we had to pay for the bimmer and the reliability, i pretty much said no and leave. not to mention the nav system, i NEED touch screen.

i have to say, the stock sc430 might be a bit boring compared to how sexy the 650 stock is. but once you mod up the sc430, it's a pretty damn nice car

oh and for the 6 series, i actually don't like the convert, it looks nasty (and it's not hard top). i would just get the coupe myself
Old 09-08-05, 02:41 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

We took a look at the 645 convertable also. Up here it is close to $25,000cdn in price difference.
The interior just looked 2nd rate especially the dash. Even the leather looks hard and bubbley. It just doesn't look like a $109,000cdn car. Also I have heard that BMW quality just like Mercedes has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so from many people that own them. So I think my week old 05 white/ecru Sc will look just fine with a nice set of serious looking wheels. It allready turns more heads on the road than the 645.
Old 09-09-05, 09:46 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I think the car is sexy as hell, but I just can't get over the fact that a fully loaded 6 Series cost as much as a 7 series.....
Old 09-15-05, 07:31 PM
Addiction2
Driver

I looked at it really hard because its one of the few top end convertables that have a usable back seat. But everything felt "extra" like they were nickel and diming me to death. And my car is an everyday driver so I needed the reliability, that was very important to me. Also the SC430 interior just crushes everything in the class (and since I drive a lot that was really important). Don't get me wrong I still love my Benz, but the Lexus just seems PLUSH in comparison with anything German with the possible exception of the Pheaton but who's going to pay $100k for a volkswagon?

On top of that the convertable looks crappy in my opinion. I also looked at the XLR, the Porsche, XKR and the SL and I actually broke the things important to me into categories and the SC430 won by over 11 points (highest previous compariosn score for me was a 5 point diff). The only thing I don't like about the 430 are the stock numbers are a little low for my tastes, the wheels are just for crap (taste wise) and I don't care for the look of the car with the top up but its growing on me.

Also even if all other things are equal, I-Drive. DO I need to say anythign else?

Last edited by Addiction2; 09-15-05 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 10:21 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Well.....
As a guy who came from 7 years of BMWs and went to Lexus, I can tell you, you miss the handling terribly. I'm going to end up going back to BMW and getting a 550. Personally, I like the looks of the new GS - inside and out - LOTS more than the 550. But I want the handling and the feeling of being one with the car back. Bad.

So yes, I would shell out an additional $12-$15K more for the 650 in a heartbeat.
Old 09-15-05, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it's always nice to see posts from gene, always very positive and you always get something useful

one thing i can't stress enogh too -- handling of bmw stock is incredible, in any of their cars
Old 09-16-05, 09:23 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I know it'll probably never have the same "feel" as the 6-series, but do you SC430 owners think an SC with coilovers and all the other suspension mods will handle as well as a stock 6-cabriolet?
Old 09-16-05, 10:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup i agree. with the coilover and sways and big tires on my sc430, the car handles a lot better than stock, but compare to a stock 6 series it's still no match i say. i haven't really driven a 6 series, but i have driven the 545 (which i think should be close to 6) and it's just phenomenal
Old 09-16-05, 10:05 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Just my 2 cents (I feel like I should say something cause I drove one yesterday)

I won't bore anyone with a long read so i'll sumerize:

*The trunk (to open you push on the bottem of the BMW emblem and the trunk opens)
*Adjustable arm rest
*Gauges
*sound system
*Decent pick-up

Dislikes:
*The ball holder, I am NOT comfortable with a peice of seating holding my ********* in place.

*idrive, I got to drive the car on a extended test drive for about 15 minutes, the whole time I drove my friend was taking instructions from the saleswoman sitting behind us of how to work the idrive, just when we had it on a good radio station, i'd brush a button on the steering wheel and it'd change.

*The interior, $75,000 and theres no wood trim?? Where's the fun in that!

Did I have fun driving it? Yes. Did my *****? No. Would I buy one over a SC430? No.
Old 09-16-05, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hahhaa man i guess you really had a lot of trouble with your ***** and the 6, hahhaa

so you saying you would take sc430 over the 6 huh?
Old 09-16-05, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by IVXX
Did I have fun driving it? Yes. Did my *****? No.
Funniest quote from a car review I've read in ages. LMAO. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 09-16-05, 12:32 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

SC over the six for sure! The interior of the SC is just dripping with quality. Touch screen nav > idrive button. The seats (uh oh not another ball tangent) in the SC are what you'd except from lexus. To be honest when I was in the 6 it felt like I was in a sports car not a touring coupe, but if that were to be true and I in fact was in a sports car then how come it didn't drive like one? Then of course there was all the little **** on the 6 that bugged me like the turn signals that don't click into place and the cup holder is ridiculous. Let's not forgot with the SC you don't have to choose between coupe or convertible.

Last time I drove a SC430 was about 4 months ago, and thought little about it after that, interestingly enough after my test drive of the 6 I found myself thinking about the SC. And that thing the navigation on the SC does when you start it up, that is 50 badass points right there.

I have the magazine with the superchaged Wald SC430, that car is the perfect combination of elegance and power, and thats something me and my ***** can agree on.

Quick Reply: BMW 645/650i