Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motorex Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 08:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Motorex Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R

Motorex Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R

By Jared Holstein
Photography: John Thawley, Josh Jacquot

In the three months spent at MotoRex being tweaked, prodded into compliance with U.S. regulations, each Skyline inevitably gets a nickname, says MotoRex's Sean Morris. It is little surprise, then, that the name "Blackbird" titles the sharply raked windshield of this R34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec.

The SR71 "Blackbird", love child of the Cold War espionage program, remains the fastest (publicly acknowledged) plane in the world, capable of flying from New York to London in about two hours. Even 32 years after its introduction, the Blackbird remains the aerial epitome of brute force and exotic construction.

Though some of us might prefer a lighter, simplified R32 Skyline for flogging duties, for those interested in the most essential of G-rides, we present you with Mr. MotoRex's personal transport, the R34 Blackbird. By simply owning a Skyline, you are ensuring yourself a large degree of exclusivity; should you find the performance insufficient, MotoRex offers a variety of services and modifications that enhance performance, aesthetics and driver experience. This car showcases a happy compromise between ultimate cruiser and racetrack bruiser.

MotoRex left well enough alone with the interior, adding only wonderfully bolstered and supportive Recaro seats. To satisfy the G-ride quotient, the Blackbird received a collection of Eclipse stereo components that combined produce rich, clean sound, full of punchy, tight bass and clear mids, even when playing MP3s. Those born of the video game generation will feel at home in the R34's cockpit. Apparently, some Nissan engineers are as car geeky as we are, because the Skyline features a large color LCD display in the middle of the dash, telling you just about anything you could want to know about the RB26DETT's status and performance, even allowing you to change critical values in real time.

With a stance best described as the visual result of a threesome between Darth Vader, a Kirosawa character, and a dominatrix, the Blackbird demands visual consideration. Starting with the most Rubenesque of the Skylines, MotoRex bedecked the R34 with a body kit designed in conjunction with C-west (for whom MotoRex is the exclusive importer).

Unlike many body kits that crack and shatter at the thought of strength or aerodynamic testing, these same ground effects are used in the N1 Endurance Series in Japan. Though many of us joke about 95 percent of decklid spoilers on the market making roughly 1.2 lbs of downforce at 180 mph, the scary part about this car is that you could probably test this hypothesis, and then some. The C-west GT wing adorning the Black Bird is carbon fiber through and through, including the beefy uprights.

Many times, you wonder whether the huge jump in dollars spent on a very trick double or triple adjustable coil-over system is worth it, because you often end up with a car perfectly suited for the track, and absolutely miserable on the street.

Not so with the ueber-pricey, but hugely effective, Oehlins remote reservoir coil-over suspension. Although when following the car on the street, it was evident the car was stiffly sprung, this rigidity did not translate to an unbearable ride. The suspension still exhibited abundant travel when substantially lowered, removing all drama from the occasional brush with a berm.

Just how effective is the suspension system? For about 10 minutes, the Blackbird held the SCC record for the slalom at 72 mph. This is in a car that weighs almost 3,800 lbs. On street tires. Only the Lancer EVO 6 with large, very sticky prototype Pirelli DOT-legal race tires bettered the R34's speed.

As much fun as I was having listening to tunes and watching Morris play with the LCD, it was indulging in the common fantasy of flogging a Skyline that I came for. After engaging the very touchy Tilton twin-plate clutch, we were off through the esses, turbos whirring. My planned slow-speed familiarization laps became fast ones, as the car's drive-me-hard, I-make-it-easy attitude shone through. Shifting into third was a bit tricky entering the back straight for this right-hand-drive rookie, but relaxing a bit quickly solved this problem.

Coming out of the very tight, slow Zorro turn was the perfect place to evaluate the Blackbird's powerband. Smartly sized ball-bearing turbos provide both tractable low-end grunt, and from the mid-range, a big kick-in-the-pants that never falls off until the 8000 rpm redline.

1999 Motorex Nissan R34 Skyline
Chassis
Chassis Code : R34

Engine
Engine Code : RB26DETT
Type : In-line six, aluminum block and heads, twin turbocharged and intercooled
Internal Modifications : APEXi N1 fuel pump, 256 cams, cam gear
External Modifications : APEXi 550cc injectors, Power F/C, Type C adjustable fuel pressure regulator, APEXi 2530 ball bearing turbos,GT intercooler, N1 front pipe kit,Super Suction kit

Engine Management
Modifications : APEXi EVC, F-Con V and harness
Horsepower : 400 whp (claimed)

Drivetrain
Layout : Longitudinal front engine, all-wheel drive
Drivetran modifications : HKS Twin Plate clutch

Suspension
Front : Oehlins remote reservoir coil-overs
Rear : Oehlins remote reservoir coil-overs

Brakes
Front : Endless brake pads
Rear : Endless brake pads

External
Wheels : Work Meisters, 18 x 10-inches
Tires : 275/35ZR-18 Toyo Proxes T1-S
Body : C-west/Motorex N1 body kit and carbon fiber spoiler

Performance
Acceleration
0-30 mph : 1.5 sec.
0-60 mph : 4.0 sec.
30-50 mph : 1.7 sec.
50-70 mph : 2.0 sec.
Quarter Mile : 12.3 sec. @ 112 mph

Handling
Lateral grip
(200ft skidpad) : 0.94g
Laptime : 53.8
Slalom Speed
(700 ft slalom) : 72 mph

Braking
60-0 stopping distance : 111 ft.

At higher boost, the Blackbird was tested to pull 0-60 in just 3.6 sec, the 1/4 mile in 11.4 sec. and a top speed of 190 mph at 520 hp.

Old 09-09-05, 09:09 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I want one of thoes..
Old 09-09-05, 09:25 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pure jizzm.
Old 09-09-05, 09:35 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I sooooooo need to hit the lottery!!!!! That's the only way I'll get my greedy little hands on one of those!
Old 09-09-05, 08:49 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's some old stuff. That is the car the Fat Leiberman bought and totally screwed up for 2F2F. What a shame that such a peice of well tuned automotive art can be bastardized by that fat bastard.
Old 09-09-05, 10:15 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i read about that a while back.... all of these automotive tuners and enthusiasts from here to japan were so upset that Leiberman and his crew of monkeys could mutilate the Blackbird by adding NOS and neon lights. Motorex got some critisism from it too because they "sold out" and sold the Blackbird knowing it would be destroyed.
Old 09-10-05, 12:54 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't feel the bodykit but it's still a bad m#########er......I'll take one. $100K?
Old 09-10-05, 01:48 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

What is the true fascination with these Skylines :uh
Old 09-10-05, 09:12 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLW
They're just sexy
Old 09-10-05, 10:15 AM
sniper
Lead Lap

Nice car but it would be hard to pay what motor X would want to sell that car for.....
Old 09-10-05, 10:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ
They're just sexy
I' ve never admired the Skyline -GTR for it's looks, it's always just OK looking for a sports car to me . . .
Old 09-10-05, 01:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

motorex lost a lot of its credibility when they went and sold out to lieberman. maybe thats why their getting into formula D and D1GP and JGTC...to reestablish themselves....maybe if they uesd Skylines instead of 350z's tehy would get somewhere.
Old 09-10-05, 02:43 PM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

part of the reason there is a fascination with them is they are the "can't haves" of the auto world. everyone wants want they dont/cant have

the other part is the motor and awd of course! plus i think the skyline r34 with a FMIC coming up behind you is just about as intimidating as you could probably get aside from stealing a tank and taking it out on the highway
Old 09-10-05, 03:23 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
Wow that's some old stuff. That is the car the Fat Leiberman bought and totally screwed up for 2F2F. What a shame that such a peice of well tuned automotive art can be bastardized by that fat bastard.

On the other hand, F & F star Paul Walker, owns a bad *** Skyline. At least not everyone associated with those movies is a moron.
Old 09-10-05, 05:38 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLW
Johnny, find someone andask them to let you drive it. You'll see what is up. They are monsters. crazy even.

Quick Reply: Motorex Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R