Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Skyline aka our Infiniti G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 01:55 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's beautuful on the outside, but when you get in, all I see is Chrysler....just ugly and placement of all teh controls are wrong....colors too.
Old 09-13-05, 07:05 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon LS
Just wondering if anybody here owns one, or has owned one? I've been meaning to check it out in person for ages, so I decided to head over to the dealership today since I had some free time. The price tag and 3.5L RWD configuration really got me interested. Heard the handling is pretty neat too but have yet to test drive one. Although the engine seems like a PITA to work on.
On the other hand, styling is pretty good, except I'm not a fan of the air conditioning display being on top of the dashboard with the controls in the center...might make it a bit inconvenient when it comes to adjusting settings. Other than that, the quality of the materials seem to be simillar to that of Nissan, not as top notch as Lexus and it doesn't seem to have as much features as a Lexus: no cassette player, no trip computer, no light sensing headlights, no auto dimming door mirrors and no reverse tilt, no rear window sunshade, no memory seats...the list goes on. in the end, you get what you pay for.

Who needs a Cassette player in a luxury car?! That is outdated. Trip computer it does have with the NAV. It does have memory seats.

Is this to bad mouth the car?

Handles like a champ.
Old 09-13-05, 07:07 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

IMHO, its much more than just a notch above Nissan.

Nothing cheap about the interior of the 05.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I haven't actually owned a G35 sedan but I've looked at them closely and test-drove one.
It drove pretty much like a BMW 3-series....minus maybe a little steering feel.....only much better assembled, without the usual BMW creaks and rattles. G35's are a little bulkier and heavier on the outside but IMO handle just as well...easily the RWD car's best feature. Fit-and-finish is OK, but, as you note, in the past not up to Lexus standards. Inside, materials are basically just a small notch above regular Nissans and no more....though the latest Altima has been improved quite a bit here, and the Rosewood console on the new G35's are a step up also. Two nice features the G35 has that similiar Lexus products don't are the articulating A/C vents and the fact that the whole instrument cluster tilts up and down with the steering wheel....a good feature for tall drivers who normally have the top of the cluster blocked from view.

If you are willing to trade a small amount of power, gas mileage, steering feel, and high-speed cornering for MUCH better wet and snowy-road traction, go with the All-Wheel-Drive G35X.....that would be my choice. Make sure, though, that even with AWD, you don't try and run summer-only high-performance low-profile tires on slippery roads. Many sports sedans came with them standard..... they are almost worthless on anything but dry surfaces, and wear very quickly besides. If you get AWD, either get one with all-season tires or have an extra set of mounted all-seasons for the winter months.

Last edited by KrazyLexus; 09-13-05 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 07:09 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
LOL, yup. I just think Nissans are hella overpriced. They share EVERYTHING, the price should be cheaper than everyone. Instead, they have great marketing and some stylish cars and people are willing to pay more or an equivilent price for them, more power to Nissan/Renault and it reflects in their profits and financial statements.

For 20-24k, a G35 is a GREAT car to buy used. Hell, leather/sunroof sedans go for 28k new! That is a steal.
I love Lexus, but it would be HARD to get a used IS 300 over a used G35 unless your going to FI the IS.
What car maker doesn't share everything? lol Lexus / Toyota share MOSTLY everything as well.
Old 09-13-05, 07:10 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pvmike1
No it's not.

The G35 sedan is going the way of the Q and I series vehicles - its value is dropping like a rock. When you tire of it in a few years, it'll be worth about 8k. No thanks.

I'll take a 2nd gen GS in that price range instead. I'll bet you would too.
You might want to look, its holding its value very well if you actually look. It was rated as one of the best cars for best resale value.

Owners of 03s are still getting 23-24k. Mine was 29,5k bran new.
Old 09-13-05, 08:41 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I am currently a owner of a 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan. How to put this? Let me just say it is a true sport sedan, great handling and strong acceleration with a bit but not too much noise. True, compare to the new IS350/IS250 and Acura TL, its interior is a bit outdated and not luxurious enough, but if interior design isn't what you care so much about, then G35's interior shouldn't bother you, it is not like something would fall apart or something. I have owned it for three years now, the only problem happened is the driver seat has moved a bit during acceleration but the dealer fixed it for me for free and it never happened again, besides that, absolutely no other problems ever happened. This car eats fuel, the navigation will show your fuel economy and it reads 17.6 mpg right now, so yeah lower than what Infiniti says. Look-wise let me give you a suggestion, if you want to buy a used 2003 or 2004 without aero package(it comes with a different front bumper, body-colored side sill and body-colored rear underbody spoiler), find the darker colors, the black base would look much better with dark body colors, when i say dark colors, i mean Black or Twilight Blue. But if you want a 2005 G35, then it doesn't matter because the whole car has the same color. Make sure you drive on some rough pavements when you test drive the car, because every car has soft quiet ride on mirror-like smooth surface, G35 sedan feels a bit harsh on uneven streets, make sure it doesn't bother you. If you are used to Camry's ride, then it would definitely feel more harsh. Its steering feels pretty heavy especially at slow speed, a woman might feel more so. Noise would intrude into the cabin, quietness is not its forte, although by far it won't be considered noisy. In this passage I don't want to say too much about what is good about it, just want to point out something that might bother someone, because a 10 minute test drive might not tell you enough about the car, try to avoid regretting after taking the car home. G35 sedan doesn't have many things that a typical Lexus vehicle has, but also, you might not find something that G35 has in any Lexus vehicle. You would know after driving it for long time.
Old 09-13-05, 08:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G35_TX
IMHO, its much more than just a notch above Nissan.

Nothing cheap about the interior of the 05.
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/top.html

Looks like a Nissan Skyline to me

My God, no one is bashing the car so STOP coming here protecting it. We pointed out the GOOD and the BAD. My God.

Old 09-14-05, 05:18 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/top.html

Looks like a Nissan Skyline to me

My God, no one is bashing the car so STOP coming here protecting it. We pointed out the GOOD and the BAD. My God.
Others and yourself were bashing it. Yep and your point aboutt the above link? I can bring up MANY MANY pictures and links of Lexus vehicles badged as Toyotas.
Old 09-14-05, 06:30 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no axe to grind on Nissans, but I see nothing impressive or luxury about this interior.

Old 09-14-05, 06:56 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
I have no axe to grind on Nissans, but I see nothing impressive or luxury about this interior.

I absolutely abhor that center console. When buying cars, the center console is very important for me as being seperated from all other passengers in the car. Perhaps if the center console would have been black as well, I might consider a G35, but then again, that interior as a whole does not give me an overall luxurious vibe.....

sorry...
Old 09-14-05, 06:59 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Anyways, Infiniti announced pricing for the 2006 G35 sedan. Base prices rose by $300, less than 1%. Prices of all packages stayed the same, even though they added Bluetooth and Sat. Radio.

One thing that Lexus is years behind its competitors is in making Satellite Radio more available/installable/affordable in their cars. I don't know why this is so.

"The 2006 G35 sedan adds minor features.

Enhancements to the 2006 G35 Sedan include:
· Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone system and satellite radio added to all Premium Packages
· New exterior color – Liquid Platinum"

"GARDENA, Calif. (Sept. 13, 2005) – Infiniti, the luxury division of Nissan North America, Inc., today announced 2006 model year pricing on the Infiniti G35 sedan. The 2006 G35 sedan adds minor enhancements for 2006, including available Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System, available satellite radio (XM® or Sirius™ providers) and a new exterior color – Liquid Platinum.

The 2006 G35 sedan is offered in three well-equipped models. The G35 sedan model features a starting Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $31,300, while the G35 6MT model features a MSRP of $31,050. The G35 AWD model, with the ATTESA E-TS Intelligent all-wheel drive system has a MSRP of $33,100."
Old 09-14-05, 10:33 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
I absolutely abhor that center console. When buying cars, the center console is very important for me as being seperated from all other passengers in the car. Perhaps if the center console would have been black as well, I might consider a G35, but then again, that interior as a whole does not give me an overall luxurious vibe.....

sorry...
It's a Sports Sedan / Luxury car. It's interior is very luxrious, but also it doesn't cost as much as a Lexus. The more you pay, the better you get. The IS300 wasn't even as good as the G35 for interior aspects. Now go to the next step up, M35/45 you get a much better luxury car.

Sure, it might not be a old peoples luxury feeling car, because it isn't. I love it, its been reliable, and people get in my car and love the way it looks and how comfortable it is.
Old 09-14-05, 10:41 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not saying the G35 is a bad car at all,
but this
Originally Posted by G35_TX
It's interior is very luxrious, ...
and this pic below do not add up.
Old 09-14-05, 10:45 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

You haven't been in one. You CAN'T GO BY THE PICTURES. Until you have been in one stop bad mouthing the car.

[QUOTE=chuckb]I'm not saying the G35 is a bad car at all,
but this

and this pic below do not add up.
Old 09-14-05, 10:45 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I want to know why we are always arguing opinion when it comes to the G35. Some people like it some dont. Give it a rest already. We've had 2409720496049 threads on the SAME damn stuff.

Quick Reply: Nissan Skyline aka our Infiniti G35 Sedan